The thread of Bond lists - LIST 157 - Evaluate the FRWL Opening Titles. (see criteria)

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited March 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 23,449
Don't you just love putting together and subsequently discussing lists? Well, here's a chance to do so in the realm of Bond.
With regular intervals I will put up a suggestion for a list and it's up to you to create and, if so desired, talk about your list.

top%20ten.jpg

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 23,449
    <font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 001</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>The 007 most intelligent Bond girls</b></font>
    My selection:

007 - Pussy This woman will not be fooled around with. She knows what she's doing.
    006 - Holly Look: a CIA agent and astronaut! Compared to her I'm on the level of the Hoff eating a hamburger off the floor.
    005 - Octopussy An experienced business woman who knows her way around Cold War Europe.
    004 - Tracy A bit unstable to some degree but she's got guts and she puts Blofeld off guard.
    003 - Natalya She can break Boris' codes!
    002 - Miranda She knows how to play tricks with Bond and M.
    001 - Goodnight
    001 - Vesper She doesn't just set my eyes on fire, but my brain as well.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited March 2013 Posts: 16,328
    My selection. :)

001 - Natalya Computer programmer who know's her way around a gun.
    002 - Tracy A countess who always knows where to be when James is in danger.
    003 - Vesper An agent who could have a suit made for 007 just by looking at him.
    004 - Wai Lin A woman who knows kung fu, guns and looks good in leather.
    005 - Octopussy successful business owner and professional jewel smuggler.
    006 - Anya Russian Agent who knew about an MI6 issue vehicle before we do!
    007 - Pam Kickbutt CIA Agent with nice legs and keeps her gun close to them.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    007: Tiffany Case. What started out as a interesting, intelligent, and verbally witty leading lady unfortunately ended showing a little too much cheek.

006: Teresa di Vicenzo. The second woman smart enough to trick Bond into love, Tracy's intelligence was obvious through her wit and dialogue, and her ability to take control over a trigger happy man.

005: Miranda Frost. Managing to keep track of who you are and when as a double-double agent would send most to the loony bin, but she manages it quite well. Her intelligence lies with her skilled tongue; being able to convince governments she's good, while showing Bond just how bad she can be. B-)

004: Wai Lin. This agent is so intelligent, it manages to hinder her sexiness. Out smarting and out gadgeting Bond, perhaps she'd have come off smarter if her character didn't lose all it's brain and brawn at the end of the film and in a big change of character, suddenly needing Bond to save her when the rest of the film it had been quite the opposite.

003: Camille Montes. She not only matched Bond's urge for revenge, but also his wit, intelligence, and physical influence on a situation. She knew what she wanted, how to get it, and didn't seem to have any problems doing anything and everything necessary to follow through with her intentions.

002: Natalya Simonova. Surviving an orgasmic massacre, elctro-magnetic pulse induced double plane crash, a collapsed building, tongue-rape by 006, Russian capture, train explosion, another plane crash, another capture, and finally the collapse of the biggest radio dish in the world, this computer-wiz beauty was the brain to Bond's brawn, that is on a big-headed, top heavy body.

001: Vesper Lynd. Not just one of them common model-gorgeous bean counter nobodies you find everyday, this bean counter had sass. She may not have known how to play poker, but considering she managed to keep her true intentions hidden to save her captured lover by hooking up with a British agent, helping him win millions off of one of her actual allies, and tricking him into letting her get away with the money, this bean counter had one hell of a poker face.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,817
    001 Tracy. Capable, independent, knows her poetry, and outsmarted both her dad and Bond.
    002 Vesper. Finance and being a double are not easy subjects.
    003 Octopussy. Great smuggler and business woman.
    004 Holly Goodhead, Phd.
    005 Natalya Simonova. Computer genious, even defetead the great Boris.
    006 Pam Bouvier. Good pilot and intelligence asset.
    007 Wai Lin. Has a deep knowledge on martial arts.
    Interesting lists there. I do see a number of names consistently return though. Glad we're on the same page, all. :-)
    Vesper Lynd
    Tracey Bond
    Fiona Volpe
    Natalya Simonova
    Xenia Onnatop
    Holly Goodhead
    M
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    1. Teresa Di Vicenzo
    2. Vesper Lynd
    3. Natalya Simonova
    4. Wai Lin
    5. Octopussy
    6. Camille Montes
    7. Holly Goodhead
    1) Elektra (organised her whole scheme including smuggling a bomb into MI6 and kidnapping M, played Renard and Bond for fools and she would've gotten away with everything if Zukofsky didn't keep a gun in his walking stick)

2) Natalya (broke the codes)

3) Holly Goodhead (she can fly a space shuttle. That alone shows some high intelligence)

4) Tracy (outsmarts Bond and her dad)

5) Vesper (managed to fool MI6 and Bond)

6) Octopussy (very good business woman)

7) Wai Lin (essentially the chinese Bond)
    1. Vesper
    2. Elektra
    3. Camille
    4. Simonova
    5. Pam
    6. Wai Lin
    7. Amasova
    @thelivingroyale Elektra, I forgot her! She was smart, that's a good pick.
    On paper, but I stress ONLY on paper, Dr Christmas Jones would make my list as a nuclear physicist!
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    0013 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale Elektra, I forgot her! She was smart, that's a good pick.

I think she's underrated as a character. One of the more competent and intelligent Bond villians and my favourite femme fatale of the series. She's a sexy, intelligent psychopath.

Sophie Marceau plays her brilliantly and she's one of the reasons I rate TWINE highly (bounces in and out of my top 5) despite it's faults.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well if they're sending a CV to apply for the position of 'Most Intelligent Bond Girl' and I'm doing the paper sift I reckon it would controversially go:

1. Dr Christmas Jones - Doctorate in nuclear physics and several years experience in decommissioning warheads in Azerbaijan. Also speaks Russian.

2. Dr Holly Goodhead - Some sort of doctorate (presumably scientific) and a trained NASA astronaut.

3. Natalya Simonova - only a 2nd level programmer but on a project as prestigious and secret as the Goldeneye that still makes her pretty damn good with an impressive degree from Moscow State University or similar. Also speaks English.

4. Vesper Lynd - works for the treasury so most likely has a degree from Oxbridge in PPE or similar.

5. Stacey Sutton - qualified geologist working out of City Hall in San Francisco and I would presume as geologists jobs go working in SF, which is practically the global earthquake capital, is pretty near the top of the tree.

6. Octopussy - Self made (possibly part funded by the Dexter Smythe millions?) businesswoman who runs and owns her own circus and carnivals business. Also head of a female 'cult' for women.

7. Elektra King - runs a global oil business (although only very recently after the death of her father) and has shown a resourceful streak in surviving a kidnapping.

Near misses - Pussy (qualified pilot) and Kara (one of the best cellists in the world).

Being sassy, good in a fight or just plain gorgeous isn't enough to get you an interview so Honey, Tania, Tracy, Pam et al I'm sorry.

And Mary Goodnight just writing on your application form 'Havent you seem the Wicker Man'?' really isn't going to get you this job!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,416
    1. Tracy
    2. Natalya
    3. Camile. She playing a game with him and he don't see it!
    4. Wailin
    5. Triple X
    6. Octopussy
    7. Elektra
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,491
    1.Tracey Bond
    2.Vesper Lynd
    3.Fiona Volpe
    4.Elektra
    5.Natalya Simonova
    6.Xenia Onnatop
    7.M
    Excellent choices, gents, and quite the funny motivations at times. ;-)

Moving on:

LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 002</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder</b></font>
    My choices:

007 - TLD I simply think this one has the loveliest women in it. Not a bad way to start, huh. ;-)

006 - FYEO Don't you just love Sheena's pretty face in the aquatic surroundings?

005 - AVTAK The colouring and the wardrobes are wrong in so many ways but I'm a child of the 80s and boy, do I find pleasure in watching this sequence!

004 - DAF The glittering diamonds and the white cat tend to amuse me.

003 - DN Undeniably one of the most creative moves ever pulled in the history of cinema.

002 - TSWLM I love how Binder uses Moore for the sequence.

001 - OHMSS Extremely energetic with that great clock flashing on screen and the references to past films. I love it!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Ok, off the top of my head my choices:

DN
    TSWLM
    TLD
    FYEO
    DAF
    YOLT (did he do that one? I don't have my Binders memorized ...)

YOLT (did he do that one? I don't have my Binders memorized ...)

He did. :-) Binder did them all from DN to LTK with the exceptions of FRWL and GF. ;-)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 172
    1. SF. That darkness.
    2. CR. That freshness.
    3. GE. Freshness and notional darkness.
    4. TLD. Coloured darkness.
    5. TWINE. Modern looks.
    6. TSWLM. Classic.
    7. TB. More classic.
    W_PPK wrote:
    1. SF. That darkness.
    2. CR. That freshness.
    3. GE. Freshness and notional darkness.
    4. TLD. Coloured darkness.
    5. TWINE. Modern looks.
    6. TSWLM. Classic.
    7. TB. More classic.

Binder didn't do CR, GE, SF, or TWINE.

My list:

7. Living Daylights
    6. The Spy Who Loved Me
    5. A View To A Kill
    4. Diamonds Are Forever
    3. Thunderball
    2. Dr. No
    1. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @W_PPK, as @AgentJamesBond007 correctly pointed out, Binder's work did not include any of the Bonds that came after LTK. He did the rest of the official films with the notable exceptions of FRWL and GF. Perhaps you'd like to add a new list. ;-)
  • ListenToMeListenToMe Banned
    Great thread idea!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    1. Thunderball
    2. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3. Live And Let Die
    4. You Only Live Twice
    5. Dr. No
    6. Diamonds Are Forever
    7. The Spy Who Loved Me

I think. It's rather tricky in actual fact to rank them, I find.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 23,449
    LIST 1: The 007 most intelligent Bond girls
    LIST 2: Your 007 favourite OT sequences by Maurice Binder

<font color=orange size=5><b>LIST 003</b></font>

<font color=green size=6> <b>Your 007 most annoying moments in a Bond film</b></font>
    edited March 2013 Posts: 23,449
    007 - Yo Momma! (DAD)

006 - Pierce gives Electra the pain face 'One Last Screw' (TWINE)

005 - Blofeld looks quite immobile during the DAF PTS

004 - I don't know what I'm watching during the QoS PTS

003 - the Tarzan yell in OP

002 - the 'So bad I'm good' line in the closing scene of DAD

001 - the whistle in TMWTGG
    7. "Yo Momma" Jinx
    6. Blofeld in Drag
    5. Laz crying
    4. Tarzan yell
    3. "I love James... So much" Lupe
    2. Tiffany in DAF's climax
    1. Stacy Sutton's shrieks
  • 007 - Tarzan yell in OP

006 - TMWTGG opening titles. I really hate that Lulu song.

005 - The opening titles of QoS where we have to hear Another Way to Die.

004 - A lot of the blaxploitation moments in LALD, specifically the cab driver.

003 - J.W. Pepper's inclusion in TMWTGG

002 - The fire truck chase in AVTAK

001 - The fight with Drax's ninja henchmen in the glass museum in MR. He's screams the entire time, glass is shattering everywhere. I HATE this scene.
    7) Bond doesn't know when his gun isn't loaded (DAD), it's James Bond FFS!

8) Tarzan yell (OP)

6) Slide Whistle (TMWTGG)

5) Yo Mamma (DAD)

4) Bond is being driven through Harlem and everybody there is working for the baddy and keeping an eye on him (LALD, and I don't mean it literally of course but you know the bit I mean)

3) GF reference (QOS)

2) "Rolex? Omega" (CR). It's a bad bit of product placement placed highly on this list because it drags down a great scene.

1) Dolly appears (MR)