Anyone else dissapointed about the Oscar's hommage to 50 years of James Bond?

edited February 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,405
I was waiting with high anticipation and expectation the 50 years tribute on Oscar night.
First dissapointment, the video they came up with, with Hollywood great ressources, was to say the least flat. Looking at it, I did not felt any strong emotion whatsoever... and that's what Hollywood had to offer about my hero, James Bond.
Second huge dissapointment; no Connery-Lazenby-Moore-Dalton-Brosnan-Craig reunion. What was the cause? Did one or two of them declined? Was even an honest effort made to reunite them? Do the Oscars people realized that was the last chance to have them all together while they're still all alive?

I was ready to jump and cheer, acclaim, applaud my hands and my heart out in my living room to each of them.
I feel like I was rob of a great moment.

The only bright spot was Shirley Bassey's rendition of Goldfinder.
Shirley was the only one who got it right.

Your thoughts gentlemens?

Comments

I was about to start the discussion actually. I agree 100%. It was very disappointing, Dame Shirley sounded as good as ever but all we got was her and a by-the-numbers montage. Couldn't they have been more original and got all 6 actors together and paid Connery a fortune to attend? Cant wait till Adele comes on stahe.
  • CIACIA
    I missed it. I couldn't stand all the other bullcrap on the red carpet and literally feel asleep until now!
  • CIA wrote:
    I missed it. I couldn't stand all the other bullcrap on the red carpet and literally feel asleep until now!

Well, you didn't miss much.
    So I'm guessing Tom Jones is not going to sing?
    Oddjob wrote:
    So I'm guessing Tom Jones is not going to sing?

Doesn't look like it. They've really Thunderballsed it up big time! I,m currently experiencing severe earache. The cast of Les Miserables are yapping on again!
  • Would have been nice to have Roger read the Oscar winners, since he's done it before and it didn't exactly go as planned (Marlon Brando for Godfather- let's just say he didn't show)

Or maybe Christopher Lee, just because his voice rocks
  • CIACIA
    Boring!
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I'd want to watch it even if it is disappointing. I didn't had the chance to see it and the YT videos are blocked...
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited February 2013 Posts: 2,635
    We just won a Sound Edition Oscar! That's good.

Sorry if they already got any oscars, i went to begin to watch it like since 15 minutes ago.
  • CIACIA
    Yeah, but it's a tie. What bullshit is that.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Actually that's another "kind" of thread, because it's about a video that they could have used, BUT it should be used as well.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    I was soo excited but let down soo bad but the goldenfinger song was good.
    THEBond007 wrote:

Sorry to be a pain in the ### but it's Goldfinger* ;)

And, Adele will perform 'Skyfall' in minutes!
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:

Sorry to be a pain in the ### but it's Goldfinger* ;)

And, Adele will perform 'Skyfall' in minutes!

That use of the word Goldenfinger is the funniest thing I've seen or heard all night re: the Oscars. Much better than the tribute itself!

Adele's performing right now.
    sounds great so far
    I love how the song ends... "UUuuUUUUuuuuUUUuuuh" 8->
    Adele looks hot to me!
  • CIACIA
    Mods should lock this thread.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 5,745
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Actually that's another "kind" of thread, because it's about a video that they could have used, BUT it should be used as well.

It actually the base topic thread specifically for the 50th celebration at the OSCARs that just so happens to nominate a good video for use. This thread is still a duplicate.
    CIA wrote:
    Why don't you.. you know.. flag it. That way they're alerted to it.
  • Onlu Adele's performance was somewhat decent but I hope tonight's disappointment to the fans (it really sucked) proves that the only way that this series can live on is to lean towards more originality rather than to follow formula by proving that when things are repetitive or trubute making then the artists in all aspects are not as passionate. For example, so few of the past Bonds wanted to come together and even if they did what would it have accomplished? That's another thread but I'm using the topic as an example.
  • For me the Oscars have not had credibility for a long time. Not watched it for years, shame about not having a reunion for all the actors who portrayed Bond.
  • CIACIA
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    CIA wrote:
    Why don't you.. you know.. flag it. That way they're alerted to it.

I'll do just that. I'm new.
    I was about to make this thread as well. This is the "dissapointed about the Oscar's hommage to 50 years of James Bond" thread for the few confused.

I was under the assumption that the Bonds would be gathering together, I kept waiting for the BIG moment, and nothing. Yes, Shirley and Adele were great, but what happened? Anyone have the scoop?
    HERE IS WHAT I RECENTLY FOUND.

"In the weeks before the show, there had been speculation that the James Bond Oscars tribute would include past James Bond actors, from Daniel Craig to original 007 Sean Connery. (In all, five men have played James Bond, with George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan being the others.)

Before the broadcast Brosnan shot that idea down, telling press that he wouldn't be attending the show. "They'll be missing one," Brosnan allegedly told the Press Association earlier this month when asked about the prospect of a Bond reunion at the Oscars."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/24/james-bond-oscars-tribute_n_2712931.html
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I was let down, yes. The video was okay, and Shirley still has it, but after they cut away from her and went to commercials I just said, "that's it?!"

Shocking. Positively shocking.
  • CIACIA
    jolearon wrote:
    HERE IS WHAT I RECENTLY FOUND.

"In the weeks before the show, there had been speculation that the James Bond Oscars tribute would include past James Bond actors, from Daniel Craig to original 007 Sean Connery. (In all, five men have played James Bond, with George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan being the others.)

Before the broadcast Brosnan shot that idea down, telling press that he wouldn't be attending the show. "They'll be missing one," Brosnan allegedly told the Press Association earlier this month when asked about the prospect of a Bond reunion at the Oscars."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/24/james-bond-oscars-tribute_n_2712931.html

Brosnan sounds a little... bitter.

^^ Based on that sentence?

I didn't expect the actors reunion, since it as announced some time ago that it wasn't happening, and frankly I wasn't a fan of the idea, anyway. I didn't expect to see any Bond actors there, actually. But that tribute was indeed rather lame. Well, the whole ceremony was pretty lame, IMO, so... but still... Just not much of a tribute, really.
    I find this thread unnecessary. I don't know what you guys were expecting. I was expecting a decent montage and Shirley Bassey and Adele and I got it. We knew the Bonds weren't getting together. It was a nice tribute that a billion people saw and Skyfall got two Oscars. That's good enough for me