Ken Wallis on The One Show

edited April 2011 in General Movies & TV Posts: 65
Didn't get any advance warning and you only have until Friday night to watch on BBC iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010jsx0/The_One_Show_22_04_2011/
Ken appears at around the 15 minute mark, happy viewing.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I was lucky enough to watch this and completely forgot to mention it so thanks @Mark_Hazard.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Likewise Sam. I didn't realise he was going to be on, so it was a pleasant surprise. Still dapper at 94 (or 92, can't quite remember). They discussed Little Nellie of course - how many film series can still create talking points 44 years on?
    A very interesting man.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Quoting NicNac: They discussed Little Nellie of course - how many film series can still create talking points 44 years on?
    Damn fine point, that. Love Little Nellie too. Got a die-cast model of the thing for Christmas.

I came on in that programme halfway through and wondered who the old geezer they gave Easter eggs and a chick to was. Then caught the start of it thanks to the repeat later that night and was very pleasantly surprised to discover who he was. Recognised him too then. A fascinating chap, it must be said. And looks pretty healthy for his age as well.

The mind boggles as to why they've started repeating Friday night's One Show at, like, half-eleven, though. Really rather random.

Mind you, Alex Jones? A decent slice of Welsh rarebit... :>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @NicNac Wallis was 94, though has recently turned 95.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I'm just amazed so many of us tune into The One Show. :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @saunders I find it sort of unavoidable. It's like the Happy Shopper on the corner of your street...
    Yup, 7 o clock comes round, I look at Mrs Nac and start to sing 'OOOOONNNE' in a high pitched voice.
    Don't know why, I usually doze through half of it. @St_George . Must be Alex :X
    Quoting NicNac: Must be Alex :x
    Indeed, it certainly wouldn't be Adrian Chiles, Jason Manford or Matt Baker, would it...? =;
    edited April 2011 Posts: 987
    Yes it has some sort of magic drawing power quality, if you ask me at 6:59 would I willingly sit through 30 minutes on Gyles Brandreth visiting decorated garden sheds, Dominic Littlewood exposing short changing bus drivers, Clare Balding on the history of sellotape, Dr Sarah Jarvis on the dangers of sudden hiccuping and Mike Dilger getting overexcited over a sparrow I'd say 'No, of course not!', but that's exactly the sort of rubbish I then spend the next half hour vegetating over.
    @saunders Ha, you're absolutely right, mate! There is something oddly captivating about The One Show. It's ludicrously accessible, surprisingly instructive, appealingly self-aware and slightly off-kilter. Somehow that either very cannily or fortuitously adds up to a genuine telly 'x-factor'.

Dominic Littlewood really gets on my tits, though, must say. Although, and I'm really not sure why, I always find myself drawn to Dr Sarah Jarvis...
    Quoting saunders: Yes it has some sort of magic drawing power quality, if you ask me at 6:59 would
    I willingly sit through 30 minutes on Gyles Brandreth visiting decorated garden
    sheds, Dominic Littlewood exposing short changing bus drivers, Clare Balding on
    the history of sellotape, Dr Sarah Jarvis on the dangers of sudden hiccuping and
    Mike Dilger getting overexcited over a sparrow I'd say 'No, of course not!', but
    that's exactly the sort of rubbish I then spend the next half hour vegetating
    over.
    :-))
    Although I do tend to get over-excited at the sight of our feathery friends.
    Quoting NicNac: Although I do tend to get over-excited at the sight of our feathery friends.
    Those are often the best bits.

I've liked the unlikely pairing of Phil Tufnell and Sister Wendy Beckett in recent weeks too. It's a double act forged in heaven that, in some ways quite literally...
    edited April 2011 Posts: 987
    Quoting St_George: Although, and I'm really not sure why, I always find myself drawn to Dr Sarah
    Jarvis...

Yes me too, I don't know what it is about these older, strong, intelligent redheads but I have the exactly the same sort of feelings about Sky's news presenter Kate Burley as well!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    @saunders Really? Hmmm, I tend to avoid Sky News like the plague - may have to reassess that position... :>