Bond Mysteries #34: Perched On A Rooftop Somewhere

edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 38
Bond Mysteries is back. As your mind's are all a-rockin' and a-realin' from Skyfall, Everything Or Nothing, Christmas and New Year, it's a fairly gentle, explainable one this time around but not necessarily one everyone will have spotted - so play along kiddies and imagine its more mysterious than it really is..

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Brilliant stuff, I had noticed there was something but for some reason (stupid, I assume) I thought it was... a bird.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Very nicely spotted! I hadn't noticed this before and now I shall be forever wondering.
    I just finished watching all of the Misteries videos (except two, compliments of "lovely" GEMA due to the music content) and I had a good laugh! That marmite one is great, and the Carry on one is brilliant. I'm both a Bond and a Carry on fan and I had never made that connection! Brilliant @rightsmartdan.
  • I'm skeptical of anyone who refers to participants as "kiddies" as only one individual I know uses, or used, that expression around here, but it's probably nothing at all. Probably some of the nonsense around these pages in recent weeks has got me paranoid or something..

I've watched Golden Gun more than most, and seen it so many times I couldn't even say, but it's odd I've never seen that before, and will be eager to pay extra attention at a next viewing. I think you concentrate so much on Moore and (Clifton) James, during the sequence in question, anything else that occurs, just goes by the wayside, but will keep an eye out in a next viewing
    Dan, will you (or have you) talk about my favourite mystery ? To wit: at the end of OHMSS, Bond, as a true Brit, drives on the left side of the road. Except that he's in Portugal, where, as in every country in continental Europe, people drive on the right side of the road. I know he was somewhat distracted, whath with his coming honeymoon and all, but still that's a mistake a well-travelled secret agent wouldn't make, right ?
    Gerard wrote:
    Dan, will you (or have you) talk about my favourite mystery ? To wit: at the end of OHMSS, Bond, as a true Brit, drives on the left side of the road. Except that he's in Portugal, where, as in every country in continental Europe, people drive on the right side of the road. I know he was somewhat distracted, whath with his coming honeymoon and all, but still that's a mistake a well-travelled secret agent wouldn't make, right ?

You are absolutely right, but there is another mystery at the end of OHMSS, the policeman. He doesn't say a word and I would like somebody to identify that uniform, because it looks nothing like Portuguese police or guard, then or now.
  • Sandy wrote:
    Gerard wrote:

You are absolutely right, but there is another mystery at the end of OHMSS, the policeman. He doesn't say a word and I would like somebody to identify that uniform, because it looks nothing like Portuguese police or guard, then or now.

interesting you should bring that up here! when I was younger I wanted to write a short story tying ohmss and DAF together. I was, however, at that time still a fan of goofy OTT Bond, and turned the policeman into sherrif Pepper!
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 38
    Hi all
    Thanks for the comments and ideas for possible mysteries - it's good to talk as Bob Hoskins was often paid to say.

Re use of the word 'kiddies'. It's a term of endearment in the UK albeit somewhat Victorian. I don't care if it reminds anyone of anything, it's a word in the English language and I'm gonna use it. (Unlike 'lol', yet that's accepted.) Chill out! :)

There's a thin line between film convenience, continuity error and genuinely unexplained moments. I think the driving on the left is just convenience. They shut the road off to film the sequence, the British and Australian actors get it, they naturally drive on the left. Doesn't really bother the story. I'm sure they'd have been stopped by the police eventually!

[As a side note: Continuity is the same, I let it go if someone's hair looks different shot by shot or if their hand is up on one angle and down on the other. As a filmmaker myself, to people who are even more pedantic than I am and get flustered (or make BBC3 TV shows) concerning continuity errors, my usual reply is "well you try and do it, then." Things go wrong when you film stuff. They just do. Scenes are shot months apart in different continents! We should just accept it. Camera shadows, boom mic in shot etc - I just say "think you can do better? Knock yourself out!"]

But it's nice to get feedback to these things, it often feels like I'm releasing them into a vacuum like a fart in space. So thanks!