The Minor Character Hall of Fame

saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 987
Lots of focus is given to the main characters of the Bond films such as Bond, the Bond girls, the Bond villains, M, Q, Moneypenny and Saunders, but what about the less important characters who help to create such a colorful and diverse rich tapestry of a world that our hero inhabits. Well don't worry as this is the topic to rectify this, simply tell us who your favourite minor character is and why they deserve such recognition. It doesn't matter how small or insignificant their role was, maybe for instance you hold deep admiration for the camp Rio hotel manager in MR or maybe it's someone with a far more meatier role such as gunsmith Lazar from TMWTGG, whoever it is this is the place to praise their achievements.
To start us off I can't think of a more fitting candidate than:

<B>HECTOR GONZALES</B>

In the world of James Bond the Cuban hit man Hector Gonzales will always be overshadowed by the more high profile Francisco Scaramanga and they do indeed bear many similarities, it is implied that they are both Communist trained, both have a love for gold jewellery and both enjoy their killing for high financial gain. But despite far less screen time Hector is by far the more interesting of the two assasins. When we first see him he is posing as a pilot for the Athens-based Kerkyra Charter Service, duping his passenger Melina Havelock so that she will lead him to his targets, Melina's parents Sir Timothy and his wife Iona. During the flight it is clear that he has charmed her despite his rather dodgy moustache, balding hairline, open medallion-ed shirt and generally greasy appearance managing to portray a sort of hispanic/greek hybrid something akin to a Brazilian Kebab van man. But despite these shortcomings Melina is comfortable enough to do her make up in front of him and to laugh and chat with him, even pointing out her parents ship the 'Triana' as they approach Corfu Harbour. Even after they land and her parents appear Hector is still charm personified reminding Melina of her shopping bags bearing gifts for his 'targets', this is far removed from the cold distant approach that Scaramanga used to track and kill his victims, and while this moment would of been a opportunity to pull out a weapon and gun down the Havelock's he doesn't, for Hector is a man of style, why just shoot a defenceless ageing couple when you can machine-gun them with high-velocity 222 bullets at a rate of 3,000 rounds per minute from a dive bombing Cessna seaplane, and it's only as he pulls the trigger does that facade of charm suddenly slip to reveal his snarling, mouth foaming, savagery. So confident is he in his own lethal ability that he doesn't make a second pass over the 'Triana', he has fired therefore he has killed, and just flies off into the distance.
We next meet Gonzales at a heavily guarded villa outside Madrid in Spain. Once again we find evidence of his sociability, no small island with just a girl and two hired help for this man, this is truly 'Playboy Mansion' Hit-man style with bikini girls, muscled men, swimming pools, alcoholic beverages and blaring pop music vocalised by 'Rage'! Assuming this is Hector's Euro pad and these people are in his employment then it would suggest that he is a good and considerate boss, providing generous amenities such as 'swing-ball', dispensing random thick wads of banknotes and apparently not even frowning on office romances that would seem to blossom in this environment. His staff, both the men and girls come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds suggesting that he takes both equality and diversity in the workplace very seriously (and if one of those bikini beauties did turn out to be a former man, isn't that just proving the point!) and considering the age and general fitness of the tubby guard that Roger knocks into the pool I think we can agree that being ageist is not another of this mans faults.
But Hector does have one rather major flaw and that's his ego, despite correctly identifying him from his standard sidearm he quickly dismisses the captured Bond as too insignificant to be killed by himself (though to be fair maybe the seaplane wasn't tanked up) and delegates the task before preparing to do a showstopping dive into the pool. It is in this act of hubris that Hector tragically meets his end as he is shot in the back with a bolt from a crossbow fired by a lone assassin, you can't help but think that Hector himself would of approved of the irony of his death, being killed by the daughter of two of his victims, a girl who had sat next to him neither realising the others killer instincts, and so it's almost with a magisterial sense of grace that his body slowly rises to the surface of the pool revealing the final gruesome act in a long career of death.
Yet even after his death his charisma is such that his men feel the need to go to extreme lengths to avenge his passing by chasing and destroying Melina and continuing the repetitious cycle of folly that is hot blooded revenge. Yes he was a killer and an enemy of Bond, and yet take away the morals and is Bond really much different? They are both hired killers, they both enjoy beautiful objects and vast quantities of gorgeous girls and both will resolve issues with extreme violence, Hector Gonzales RIP.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,527
    Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that essay, Saunders. Personally, I don't care all that much about this character. I find him relatively one dimensional and disappointingly 'cliché' as the no-good small scale villain, an excuse to throw in a bit of excitement and provide a much needed but albeit painfully simple clue to advance the plot. Ultimately, he's a hitman with a Hugh Heffner complex. If one thinks about it, the character's possibilities in the film were shockingly limited, by which I mean no complaint though. After all, it was 'just' a short-lived character with an importance that could easily be overestimated. In fact, my focus during the pool scene is much more on Locque than on Gonzalez. Also, I don't think the acting was all that great, but let that be a small detail.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    My favourites are:

- Krilencu (Fred Haggerty, FRWL)
    - Toussaint (Geoffrey Cheshire, OHMSS)
    - Klaus Hergesheimer (Ed Bishop, DAF)
    - Miss Caruso (Madeline Smith, LALD)
    - Achille Aubergine (Jean Rougerie, AVTAK)
    - Fallon (Christopher Neame, LTK)
    - Cmd. Richard Day (Christopher Bowen, TND)

Most certainly I have forgotten a few so this list may grow.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Here's to the "Ohhh surprise ! Hihihihihi !!" hotel staff from TMWTGG. One of the best minor characters of the franchise.
    Quoting saunders: what about the less important characters who help to create such a colorful and
    diverse rich tapestry of a world that our hero inhabits. Well don't worry as
    this is the topic to rectify this, simply tell us who your favourite minor
    character is and why they deserve such recognition.
    Klaus Hergesheimer

I remember on the floor laughing the first time I saw the whole "G Section, checking Radiation Shields". To me this scene is a moment that really gives Diamonds are Forever a touch of good-hearted, light humor, and lifts up a film that is perhaps not as rich in story as the more serious, Fleming-esque spy entries like FRWL, TB, or OHMSS. Yet at the same time, the exchange is so Fleming in it's tongue and cheek. I don't know what it is exactly that makes it work, because afterall it's such a throwaway gag. It's so ordinary--almost like a conversation you would have with a co-worker on the elevator; this is part of the humor--seeing Bond in an everyday "shoot the s***" kind of situation. Ed Bishop plays the scene great and Connery's raised eyebrow smirky humor adds a lot, in addition to maximizing the classic Connery "sh" pronunciation. Plus, I like the Hergesheimer character. He seems like such a nice guy. How could he be working for Blofeld? Perhaps he doesn't know. Maybe he's just a good scientist checking in and out of work just trying to make a paycheck. I think if it had been any other character, Bond would have needed to resort to choking or knocking out the guy to get inside the lab. Added trivia: director Guy Hamilton would call some "Hergesheimer" if he couldn't remember the name, so Tom Mankiewicz wrote it in to the screenplay--what a hoot. I know Klaus Hergesheimer is just a throwaway character, but it's little moments like these that stick in my memory after watching a Bond film.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 152
    Klaus Hergesheimer has always been one of my favorites!

^ That one was for you buddy ;-)
    Quoting KlausHergesheimer: Klaus Hergesheimer has always been one of my favorites!
    Dink from "Goldfinger". Does she have a chance to be nominated?

DaltonCraig007, how about Chew Me from your beloved "TMWTGG"?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting Moonraker: DaltonCraig007, how about Chew Me from your beloved "TMWTGG"?
    I concur ! And of course the waiter delivering the Phu Yuck. ''74 sir !'
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Without a doubt the blond receptionist at the Ocean Club from CR and Jenny Flex from AVTAK. Honorable mention to Slumber Hood #2: "I got a brudder!"
    Quoting PrinceKamalKhan: "I got a brudder!"
    Yet Connery still pwns him with his brilliant comeback 'Small world.' and Marc Lawrence's facial expression is, without a doubt, brilliant! One of the funniest scenes in the history of Bond, made even more effective by Barry's musical twists, accidentally provoking a couple of laughs from me in this scene.
    I also like Rodney in TMWTGG pre-titles, also played by Marc Lawrence. "Hey Al, Al, wherever you are don't worry it against me."
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The kid from TMWTGG not only should be inducted, but should get a 40K Baht award.
    Just rewatched FYEO. I have to mention Apostis (Jack Klapp), he does not only has a cool name but he has the right looks for a henchman and he laughs pretty funny when Bond enters Lisl's house.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Add to my list the Israeli Angel of Death and Peaceful Fountains of Desire.
    We simply cannot forget Victor Tourjansky, the man who was seen in TSWLM, MR and FYEO holding a drink.
    The very worst of the secondary characters has to be that awful French cab driver in AVTAK.

"Ah! My Caaaa! My Caaaa!"

And what's with that little dance he did there? If this ridiculousness was meant to make us laugh, mission failed, at least in my case.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I fully concur with you jaguar007 Victor Tourjansky is not only a minor character but also a true Bond legend that doesn't receive the attention and recognition he truly deserves, and especially in these modern troubled times if theres one thing we need it's more alcoholic positive role models!.

DarthDimi how can you disrespect such a great minor character as the French cab driver? I love that little guy, he's a real inspiration to me and I've already practised his famous line so if ever I'm fortunate enough to see my car being stolen I can do the "Oooooooohhhh ma caaaa!" line :)
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,527
    I want him as the first victim in a Saw Meets Bond crossover film.

Which I'm sure we'll get. One day. ;;)
    For Saw Eyes Only! :)
    Quoting saunders:
    sts: 289

For Saw Eyes Only! :-)
    A Few To The Kill
    GoldenSaw
    From Jigsaw With Love
    Moodbreaker
    How about J.W. Pepper? Pepper's two Bond films are better than the two done by Craig and Dalton, and mainly because of his presence! That's right, boy! I said it! :-j
    edited April 2011 Posts: 6,778
    Quoting Moonraker: How about J.W. Pepper? Pepper's two Bond films are better than the two done by
    Craig and Dalton, and mainly because of his presence! That's right, boy! I said
    it! :-j
    Regardless of the Dalton/Craig comment but Pepper is hardly a minor character. He has quite some screen time in both movies and lots of lines as well. He also has a credit during the main titles.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Another great minor character was the kid at the water balloons from DAF. He should get a stuffed animal for his troubles.
    Yeah that 'Go blow up your pants' kid was an annoying little squirt, funny to think he must be over 50 by now!
    DAF has a lot of great minor characters. Who can forget James Bond's pet rat?

GoldenGun, you are right. J.W. is too big-time to be lumped with the minor characters :)
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Quoting Moonraker: How about J.W. Pepper? Pepper's two Bond films are better than the two done by Craig and Dalton, and mainly because of his presence! That's right, boy! I said it!
    Fantastic post ! So true ! Pepper's amazing performance in TMWTGG puts the film miles ahead of TLD, LTK, CR and QOS... and sits right in #1 spot for me !! Jay Dubya Peppa is the best character in the franchise... up there with other characters of TMWTGG... the hotel staff "Ohhh surprise hi hi hi hi !!" and of course the most Fleming-esque of all Bond performances... Roger Moore !!

@Moonraker You are a top member here !! =D>
    Quoting Moonraker: DAF has a lot of great minor characters. Who can forget James Bond's pet rat?

Or the slot machine playing elephant
    :)
    Quoting Moonraker: Who can forget James Bond's pet rat?
    One of the greatest and most human scene of the franchise. I always drop a tear during that scene.
  • One of the greatest minor characters, in my opinion, is Mr. Solo from Goldfinger. He is the incarnation of the typical mafious desperado who separated from all the small-time criminals influenced by Goldfinger during his wonderful over-the-top performance. A mirror image of the Solo-character is introduced in AVTAK.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Klaus Hergesheimer - the best of them all.