Interesting article about Clive Owen not becoming James Bond

edited December 2012 in Actors Posts: 1,661
From a Variety article in 2005. This website claims Clive Owen was asked to play Bond but he wanted too much money.

"James Bond Producers Lose Clive Owen Over Contract Points
Posted by: David Easton

According to a report by entertainment trade Variety correspondent Michael Fleming, producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson lost the chance to have Academy Award-nominated actor Clive Owen (41) assume the title role in the James Bond film empire when they refused to include gross profit points for the actor’s contract. Gross profit point sharing is a common consideration given to marquee actors."

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_5710.html

Clive Owen has always denied he was approached or that he had any desire to play the part but you never know...

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Regardless, Owen not getting the role was a matrix style bullet dodge.
    He's not half as good an actor as Dan Craig
    LeChiffre wrote:
    He's not half as good an actor as Dan Craig

Agreed - it's difficult to articulate but I always found Owen a little one-dimensional and feel that Craig is far more suitable for the role

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's Owen's fault if true. EON don't give their actors back end deals, eg. money made from the film. Anyway, he was 41 in 2005, maybe a little on the old side for a long run of films.
  • I remember being extremely impressed with Owen when Croupier first came out. At that point he was a complete unknown to me (here in Canada) and I watched his career with interest. At the time I thought that he would make a good Bond, although I was worried about the "Dalton effect" i.e. that he would be a good actor, deliver an interesting performance, impress the critics and the hardcore Bond fans but not connect with the mainstream audiences.

Having seen what Craig has brought to the role I'm glad that he got it over Owen. I think Owen still would have been a big step up, but not as much as Craig.
    So I am not the only one glad Clive Owen didn't become Jams Bond. I don't know why, I was never convinced about him in the role.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Anyway, he was 41 in 2005, maybe a little on the old side for a long run of films.

Well Craig was only a few years younger and didn't Dalton, Moore and Brosnan all debut in their 40s? I think if the actor looks young then debuting in his 40s isn't a problem. Craig was pushing 40 and played a rookie in CR so I don't think EON really care either.

Saying that though I can't see Owen as Bond. His voice puts me to sleep for one thing. I'm not Craigs biggest fan but I think he's doing a much better job than Owen would've done.
    Given that Bale was already unavailable, Owen was the only other choice I can think of that I'd've wanted (really think Craig is awful - not just the appearance, but his acting choices as well - in this role anyway, though he has been fine in stuff like ELIZABETH.)

Then again, if you look at CR, it is clearly written for a YOUNG guy, since Bond is so bratty & temperamental in it. With that in mind, Henry Cavill would have been perfect.
  • Clive Owens would have made a good James Bond. He really looks the part. But the reason why it never happen is because they were going to pay him peanuts. I know that he was 41 at the time, but look at it like this. Sir Roger Moore was 45 when he was casted as 007 for Live And Die & Pierce Bronsan was 41 when he was casted as 007 for Goldeneye. So Clive Owens could play Bond at the age of 41.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like Clive okay, but I really didn't see him ever as Bond. I wish him well, but I am very glad that we got Craig when we did.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here is one of his BMW short films. I'm glad Craig got the part but do think Owen could have done a fine job with Campbell's direction. Some of the comments mention Bond.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We already have several Clive Owen as Bond threads.

Like this one:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4553/how-close-did-clive-owen-come../p1

Please repost there.
This discussion has been closed.