Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

Murdock wrote:
    How about George S. Clinton? His music scores for the Austin Powers movies were pretty good.

In that case I want Roger Moore back for 007 as well.

• edited October 2013 Posts: 157
    Ruichi Sakamoto

Joe Hisaishi

• Lalo Schifrin, Quincy Jones, James Horner, John Williams, Ennio Morricone and Franco Micalizzi
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    John Williams, Grant Kirkhope
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nicholas Hooper
    Harry Gregson-Williams
    Alexandre Desplat
    Patrick Doyle
    Michael Giacchino
    Murray Gold, the man responsible in updating the sound of Doctro Who and has done so brilliantly.

Harry Gregson-Williams, I am in awe of his "Kingdom in Heaven" soundtrack.

Michael Giacchino, did update the sound of modern Star Trek and his work in the Incredibles showed his skill towards the 007 formula.

Ennio Morricone, the mans music is legend the franchise should be so honoured.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Giacchino, Schifrin and Morricone are all very good suggestions, but are the two latter even working any more? They must be in their 80s by now.
  • Danny Elfman.

There's a Youtube video of soneone using the Batman Returns ending score in the final scene of QoS and it fits very well.
  • Giacchino, Schifrin and Morricone are all very good suggestions, but are the two latter even working any more? They must be in their 80s by now.

Not in my case. It's just a "what if" scenario. I think Schifrin and Quincy Jones were quite qualified for the job.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Danny Elfman.

There's a Youtube video of soneone using the Batman Returns ending score in the final scene of QoS and it fits very well.

Not bad, but I kind of feel like any dramatic music would work there. It's probably why Arnold felt no music was needed because any music would fit and it'd be too easy and/or distract from the scene.

• I am a huge Barry fan but would have Arnold back. Why? Just listen to a few tracks of DAD one of his maligned soundtracks - "Wheelchair Access", "Gustav Graves Entrance (unused)", "Kiss of Life" - or have a go at listening to the complete soundtrack of this film on You Tube- ok he tried to be a tad too smart in arrangements and his action cues leave a hell of a lot to be desired - but the heart is there. And I am basing my opinion on a soundtrack that isn't well admired - based on all his efforts - he merits another go.

My humble opinion - but as Clint Eastwood said - opinions are like as"holes - everybody has one.

• RC7RC7
    I am a huge Barry fan but would have Arnold back. Why? Just listen to a few tracks of DAD one of his maligned soundtracks - "Wheelchair Access", "Gustav Graves Entrance (unused)", "Kiss of Life" - or have a go at listening to the complete soundtrack of this film on You Tube- ok he tried to be a tad too smart in arrangements and his action cues leave a hell of a lot to be desired - but the heart is there. And I am basing my opinion on a soundtrack that isn't well admired - based on all his efforts - he merits another go.

My humble opinion - but as Clint Eastwood said - opinions are like as"holes - everybody has one.

I think you make a pertinent point. The 'heart' is there. Watch any Bond film, whether they are considered good, or bad, you'll always find a moment where you a stirred, usually because the scene, action, cue, has heart.
  • RC7

Totally agree. John Barry nailed it most of the time with most of his scores (Bond and non-Bond). I am a big fan of Thomas Newman but I thought he could have brought a lot more to Skyfall - look at the fantastic job he made of "The Good German" based on his slant on old Hollywood scores.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Danny Elfman.

Not bad, but I kind of feel like any dramatic music would work there. It's probably why Arnold felt no music was needed because any music would fit and it'd be too easy and/or distract from the scene.

I guess it depends. I know SF had an underdeveloped acore although the subtleness helped make the "Storm's Coming" scene more intense. Missing was at least a small note or two during M's death scene.
  • For some reason, while I love Danny Elfman, I can't see him scoring a Bond score... However, curiosity always brings the worst in me: Come on EON, make me wrong! SIGN HIM!
  • If they let David Arnold go because of Sam Mendes wanting Ding Ding Thomas Newman. His nickname symbolizes his minimalist approach to percussion music scoring. At least he could have given us a Six Feet Under style of songs.
    That's my point with Newman's score. It had a few good tracks, and a great track (She's Mine), but overall it was weak, and it clearly showed that:

A) Newman is not a Bond fan
    B) Bond is not his style
    C) He didn't put his heart in the music

All things Arnold did.
  • Walecs wrote:
    That's my point with Newman's score. It had a few good tracks, and a great track (She's Mine), but overall it was weak, and it clearly showed that:

B) Bond is not his style

All things Arnold did.

Then why Arnold's music is so mediocre?
    Walecs wrote:

B) Bond is not his style

All things Arnold did.

It's not?
    Walecs wrote:

B) Bond is not his style

All things Arnold did.

It's not?

yes it is, the soundtracks of 007 movies since CR have become more a matter of having while being a completist but are more elevator music than exciting to listen to.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Currently watching the BBC TV series "The Game" on Blu ray. Daniel Pemberton, of Man from Uncle fame, scored this show.

A very interesting score, somewhat reminiscent of Barry's The Ipcress File. I'm not sure if he's necessarily Bond material, but the main theme (which is a bit overused) is catchy, and piqued my interest.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020

Yes, Pemberton could do it, I own his scores. The Game score is great.
    But as you said, he likes to repeat his main theme and often. It's his style it seems.
    If he did a Bond score, he would have to tone down on the repetitiveness and also not using the same wind instruments again and again as he did in UNCLE.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Joe Kraemer. His work on Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was just delicious and very memorable with a great identity while respecting and wonderfully utilizing the classic themes composed by Lalo Schifrin. He'd do Bond justice.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I wouldn't have any problems with Kraemer. I actually preferred his MI-RN score to Pemberton's Man From Uncle effort. I thought it was brilliant actually. I'm ok with Kraemer or Desplat.
    Joe Kraemer for me.

Newman has proved he can only compose one film's worth of Bond score to be repeated ad infititum.

Arnold also just does the same thing each time - pretty much.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Another one for Joe Kraemer here. After watching MI: Rogue Nation I'm convinced he'd be a great fit.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 5,767
    JAZ COLEMAN. There´s hardly anyone else around these days who knows how to put an orchestra to effect as well as Coleman. And he could even play a Bond villain.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Matteo Zingales, who did the soundtrack of the 2011 Australian film 'The Hunter':

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Get that guy that did the music for Independence Day!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Get that guy that did the music for Independence Day!

Agreed with this. By the time Bond 25 will be out David Arnold will have had 10 years to improve, and QoS had an amazing score.