Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Bit of a left field choice here.

It's somebody called Jesper Kyd and it turns out he's done tons of games, TV shows and films. He's never done a big blockbuster film before and even if it's not Bond, I reckon he deserves to do one.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ^Jesper Kyd is awesome. His Soundtracks for the Hitman series (sans Absolution) are excellent.
    Murdock wrote:
    ^Jesper Kyd is awesome

He is, and I think he deserves a shot at scoring a big, blockbuster movie.
    Brian Tyler (Expendables, Fast Five, Rambo, the new Iron Man apparently)? Or is he too much of an action composer (I know the Bond movies are action films but you know what I mean)?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @thelivignroyale

Tyler could do it. He can score action well. I guess it depends on the type of Bond film they're making. An action score wouldn't have suited SF, for example.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    John Powell. The man is a musical legend, and very versatile from the joyous tunes of animation films to the thrilling scores of action films and thrillers.

Some of my favorite pieces of his:

• edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Not sure they'd get the composer who did the Bourne movies. I did like his score for Face Off though.
    Mallory wrote:
    @thelivignroyale

Tyler could do it. He can score action well. I guess it depends on the type of Bond film they're making. An action score wouldn't have suited SF, for example.

Yeah true. I think he would've suited something like QOS or TND (probably the most action packed Bond movies) perfectly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not sure they'd get the composer who did the Bourne movies. I did like his score for Face Off though.

They have had some of the Bourne team involved previously, so I don't see why not. That shouldn't even factor anyway. What should is Powell's great talents.
    IU wouldn't mind John Powell , He's quite good actually

They have had some of the Bourne team involved previously, so I don't see why not. That shouldn't even factor anyway. What should is Powell's great talents.

Exactly the Oscar winning Sound mixing folks.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Powell is really good.

If you're on the fence about his Bourne-ishness, listen to Hog Chase Part 1&2 from the Paycheck score. Could very easily have been in a Bond movie.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2013 Posts: 23,530
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    John Williams. John Williams. John Williams.

A hundred times over.

Unfortunately he's 81. I think he might be passed his 007-phase. ;-) I say unfortunately because I would have liked a Williams Bond score very much. The 80s would have been his playground.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 1,661
    How about Murry Gold? He is the composer of modern-era Doctor Who. I don't know if he's done any film music but I think he could be an interesting choice for Bond. This is quite a grand scale theme:

I'd like to see Danny Elfman have a go at a Bond score. His Mission: Impossible Score was fantastic.
  • Obviously Hans Zimmer
    I would love to see Trent Reznor do a Bond score, though after Serra's poor reception it'll never happen. Trent is just a magnificent creator, and as a musician I have no qualms about placing him as one of the greatest minds in my medium of art. He'd definitely make a Bond score that, while containing his signature industrial sound, would still work perfectly with the film. It would require a serious, dark, Craig-esque film, though, and perhaps an assistant composer for more grandiose, orchestral pieces.

Also, regardless of the composer, I would love to see the return of the 007 Theme (NOT in any way similar to the James Bond Theme) in battle sequences!
    I would love to see Trent Reznor do a Bond score, though after Serra's poor reception it'll never happen. Trent is just a magnificent creator, and as a musician I have no qualms about placing him as one of the greatest minds in my medium of art. He'd definitely make a Bond score that, while containing his signature industrial sound, would still work perfectly with the film. It would require a serious, dark, Craig-esque film, though, and perhaps an assistant composer for more grandiose, orchestral pieces.

Also, regardless of the composer, I would love to see the return of the 007 Theme (NOT in any way similar to the James Bond Theme) in battle sequences!

I can't believe that someone would take Reznor seriously as a movie composer, even less put him in the same place where John Barry worked many years. One thing is to create some "industrial" sound and mix some notes. Another thing is to compose music for an entire orchestra, fitting it to action, romantic and dramatic scenes, and if that is not enought, having to stay respectful of a tradition - incorporing the Bond theme, using of metal section, ecc.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously Hans Zimmer

Obviously not. I'd like something I haven't heard 30 times before.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Obviously Hans Zimmer

Obviously not. I'd like something I haven't heard 30 times before.

Amen! I don't see Zimmer's appeal. I find him to be a lazy generic overrated composer who does the same thing every movie, slightly different each time.
  • AgentCalibosAgentCalibos Banned
    Philip Glass

If they were to make a darker tone Bond film (ala LTK) again he would be perfect
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2013 Posts: 4,438
    With possible no return of David Arnold or Thomas Newman and not expext there asking both, what about Craig Armstrong

My favorite track of The Incredible Hulk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCpBIK9Wvk

Also make the music for The Quiet American http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xD83kjSDvE

And like the 2 composers his music is also used for The Dutch version of the Dutch/Belgium program Wie Is De Mol. The Bone Collector http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md7-5gQai_Y

His moost present project be The Great Gatsby remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGLd8oktf98

The reasen that i like to see David Arnold and Thomas Newman make the score togther is that Newman disapointed me in Asian parts and connection with Adele something David Arnold be very good in. On other side Newman bring in something fresh with his music in Turkey, England scenes and scene's iam happy we don't have David Arnold DAD style. Also i whant get ridd of the Twine boat chase as end credits, so David Arnold should created something new.
    It's the one negative I'd have if Chris Nolan ever did a Bond - he'd bring Hans Zimmer with him. Hell no!
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    After listening to these various ideas, I'd pick Michael Giacchino and Jesper Kyd as the best of the lot who haven't scored a Bond film. Giacchino has shown me a solid understanding of the Bondian style to the point where I feel confident he'd respect the tradition, and is a Philly guy better yet having grown up just across the river in New Jersey. Jesper Kyd is also an interesting choice. My son is an Assassin's Creed junkie and I think he might be able to pull off a Bond soundtrack as long as he is willing to be faithful to a Bondian style.

Honestly, I think it's going to be Newman or Arnold back in the BOND 24 chair, depending on if Newman isn't in the EON doghouse and has realized where he went wrong. He really didn't get how a Bond soundtrack should sound, but he can do better and showed some real flashes of his brilliance when he followed the formula. Mendes may have to do some ass kissing for him if these rumors I'm hearing from my industry contacts are true. I know EON would welcome Arnold back from the same sources.

Nothing wrong per se with John Williams or Hans Zimmer, but I don't see them as compatible. Williams seems too comfortable in a way Hamlisch was in the same situation, and his ideas might not work. Zimmer may be problematic for similar reasons and I don't think he's even as innovative as Newman, so Newman would still be a better choice.

The bottom line is one I've always preached- any composer who fails to pay homage to what Barry created for these films will fail. EON stepping in with Newman to ensure that tells me they realized the huge mistake they made in 1995.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited July 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I think Newman can do it right and came close enough to giving us a really great soundtrack, but he'd have to change up his game along the lines you suggested, @SirHenryLeeChaChing. In my opinion. But he is plenty talented and parts of Skyfall shimmer with elegance and uplifting moments. If Arnold comes back, I am happy, too.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 135
    Michael Giacchino has just the right bold and brassy touch for the Bond pictures.
  • Hanz Zimmer.
    Hanz Zimmer.

Please no keep that extremely overrated Generic "composer" away from James Bond music. Mediocrity has no place in James Bond music.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Hanz Zimmer.

Please no keep that extremely overrated Generic "composer" away from James Bond music. Mediocrity has no place in James Bond music.

I agree. The rest is a case of IFM. PM me if you need to be filled in.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Already posted this already, but I think Clint Mansell definitely has got the brassy chops neccessary for this sort of task. He certainly pulled a bit of inspiration from Goldfinger and some of Arnold's compositions in the Sahara soundtrack.

Already posted this already, but I think Clint Mansell definitely has got the brassy chops neccessary for this sort of task. He certainly pulled a bit of inspiration from Goldfinger and some of Arnold's compositions in the Sahara soundtrack.

Now that's Music! Sign him up! :)
    How about George S. Clinton? His music scores for the Austin Powers movies were pretty good.