Music Composers you would like to see score a Bond film

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2012 Posts: 8,034
    Ali wrote:
    No RC Composers should be allowed near a Bond film.

That's a bit of a broad generalisation. According to Wiki, 47 composers have, at some point, worked alongside Zimmer, including the likes of Trevor Rabin, Thomas Bergersen, Harry Gregson Williams and Lisa Gerrard.

Sure, some of the composers sound very much like Zimmer-lite (though you argue that Zimmer himself is now Zimmer-lite as he seems to have become very predictable of late) but that's only because producers approach RC with a Zimmer style score in mind, so that's what they get. But I know that most of the talented composers there could do a lot more if given the chance to shine.

Fair point and well made, but even though they've managed to distinguish themselves from Zimmer (Powell and Gregson-Williams being very effective in their own right) they still have that very recognisable sound that puts more emphasis on synths and sound manipulation with a string ostinato in the background for effect.

Powell is the only one I would honestly consider giving Bond-scoring duties to - as he's shown some considerable class in many of his scores, mainly the animated ones - but even then, there are people I'd rather have instead.

I'm not saying they're bad composers - many of them are favourites of mine - I just don't think the general RC style is appropriate for Bond.
  • AliAli
    I know what you mean about the style, and some, especially Ramin Djawadi, seem to relish being the next Zimmer, but there are a good few who will happily remove themselves from those chains.

I also wonder about Michael Kaman as a consideration as well. He can be patchy, but I reckon he'd relish a Bond theme.
    Ali wrote:
    I know what you mean about the style, and some, especially Ramin Djawadi, seem to relish being the next Zimmer, but there are a good few who will happily remove themselves from those chains.

I also wonder about Michael Kaman as a consideration as well. He can be patchy, but I reckon he'd relish a Bond theme.

Djawadi did some good scores, I rather liked his stuff for Iron Man and then Safe House last year, but yes, he's effectively Zimmer-lite.

Kamen? Of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon fame, and more importantly Licence to Kill? He died in 2003.
  • AliAli
    edited December 2012 Posts: 319
    He did? Damn, I didn't realise. I was thinking more of the amazing work he and Eric Clapton did on the BBC's Edge Of Darkness (not the awful Mel Gibson remake that crammed 6 hours of BBC drama into 90 minutes of shooting people) as well as the likes of Band Of Brothers (I guess that was one of his last projects?)
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    doubleoego wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Harry Gregson-Williams

One way or another I have to make thus happen!

I am definetly on board for this!
  • AliAli
    He could always sneak in his MGS theme for giggles.....

Tell me if this has been mentioned before, or if I'm going mad, but in QoS, does Arnold do a little tribute to Monty Norman's original Bond version? Just as Bond arrives in Port Au Prince, gets out the cab and walks to the hotel, I'm sure you can hear the theme on sitar!
  • wdmwdm
    A Bond composer needs to have a good grasp of theme.

I agree with many here. I would love to see Michael Giacchino score a Bond picture. I like just about everything he's done. His work on "The Incredibles", was, of course, a homage to the classic Barry Bond sound. His work on "MI: Ghost Protocol" shows that he can weave in ethnic instruments into his themes to follow Bond around the world.

If JJ Abrams or any of his friends (Matthew Vaughn, Brad Bird) were to do a Bond movie, I bet they'd bring him along.

I think Djawadi deserves a bit more credit. I'm not a big fan of the Zimmer school either, but his work on the remake for "Fright Night" was very good and filled with strong themes.
  • wdmwdm
    To correct my comment above - I meant Matt Reeves, not Matthew Vaughn. Reeves directed "Cloverfield" and the American remake "Let Me In". Giacchino's score for "Let Me In" is one of his best.

The chances of any of these guys directing a Bond film seems remote. I can't imagine JJ Abrams being considered as a Bond director, especially with his work in the Star Trek and Mission: Impossible franchises well established. Christopher Nolan seems likely, by comparison. I think Reeves or, especially, Bird, aren't out of the question, though. Maybe some day.
  • I really want David Arnold back. I think Hans Zimmer would be interesting as would Desplat or Patrick Doyle. But please, please not another one by Mr Newman.
    I really want David Arnold back. I think Hans Zimmer would be interesting as would Desplat or Patrick Doyle. But please, please not another one by Mr Newman.

If Mendes signs on for Bond 24? I think Newman will be onboard too! Especially seeing as Bafta recognised his work too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2013 Posts: 11,139
    And if he gets that Oscar, he'll be back for sure; with or without Mendes.
  • Two of my favourite movie scores are Rocky (which is also my favourite film), and Die Hard. Funny because both of the composers have scored Bond movies but I'm not a huge fan of the score of FYEO or LTK.

I'd like Arnold back. There are also a few obvious dream choices, John Williams, etc. Looper I think had a brilliant score, I'd like whoever did that to have a crack at a Bond movie.

I hope if Newman returns he steps it up a bit. Apart from the odd bit (like the Tennyson track), I really wasn't a fan of the score. Meshed well with the film but also extremely forgettable and a bit bland and flat. Honestly didn't think he deserved all this award praise.
  • Christopher Young.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Terence Blanchard. Check out this cut from Inside Man ironicly titled Dalton's World. It's very Bondian.

What about Marc Streitenfeld?
    Conti
    Tracy wrote:
    Conti

Again?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 183
    A long time ago I would have said John Powell, but he's unfortunately got into a bit of a animation film hole, and am not sure if he'd be up for coming back to the action film mold that he originated in for such a highly established franchise. Zimmer would be interesting, he's certainly a man of many talents, but he would only work if he avoided going down the whole Dark Knight/Inception route and did something out of his 'popular' range, such as Matchstick Men. The Rock is probably one of his greatest pieces of work, but would it work in a Bond film? Not really. Same with Powell's work on The Bourne films.

So at this present moment in time, after his very John Barry inspired score for X-Men: First Class (watch the music section in the making of on the DVD/Blu-ray - it's brilliant), Henry Jackman would be my choice, and if John Murphy (liked someone mentioned earlier) wanted to join in, I'd be very happy. To be honest, as long as it's not Newman, I'd be happy to see what would happen!
    bernard herman would have been amazing( go look at his score from NBNW)
  • Craig Armstrong
    Thomas Newman
    Hans Zimmer
    I said it before, I say it again, Murray Gold. Here's a very Bondian track from Doctor Who:

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Michael Giacchino is my choice for B24.

From his early work on the "Medal of Honour" games (PlayStation 1, no less!), through Alias, The Incredibles and Up, I'm a big fan. Perfect for James Bond.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,745
    royale65 wrote:
    Michael Giacchino is my choice for B24.

From his early work on the "Medal of Honour" games (PlayStation 1, no less!), through Alias, The Incredibles and Up, I'm a big fan. Perfect for James Bond.

The problem is he's perfect for so many great things. Star Trek, The Incredibles, Mission Impossible, AND Bond.. I'm afraid we'll never see it, but to me he IS the modern Barry/John Williams.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @JWESTBROOK - we can but dream...
    Gerard wrote:
    I said it before, I say it again, Murray Gold. Here's a very Bondian track from Doctor Who:

Gold is a fantastic composer, he deserves a shot at a feature film. A big one.

• Oddjob wrote:
    bernard herman would have been amazing( go look at his score from NBNW)

There are a number of tracks in SF that are Hermannesque...even Mendes points it out in his commentary. Particularly the scene when Bond is attached to the elevator...

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Harry Gregson-Williams

'Nuff said!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Would have loved to hear Jerry Goldsmith score a Bond movie but sadly he passed in 2004.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Paul Leonard Morgan anyone? He's done Limitless, Spooks and Dredd. He'd be different to the type they've gotten before and he hasn't done much work that sounds very Bond but I reckon he could do a good one. He has a unique style but his scores are always fairly different, pretty varied composer.
    John Williams. John Williams. John Williams.

A hundred times over.