Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I love the supporting cast in TMWTGG personally, but agree that GE's ensemble is outstanding. In my view, it is the best since OP.

Christopher Lee is great but Eckland kills the cast for me. Maud Adams isn't that great either.
    I would definitley watch Gun over any of the Brosnan films. Actually I would simply rather watch Sir Rog play Bond in any of his films over Brosnan nancying around.

In my mind I don't even regard the Brosnan films as part of the Bond series. To me they're like some weird aberration.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I love the supporting cast in TMWTGG personally, but agree that GE's ensemble is outstanding. In my view, it is the best since OP.

Christopher Lee is great but Eckland kills the cast for me. Maud Adams isn't that great either.
    The near threesome in the hotel in Thailand is a highlight for me. Britt's Goodnight is a colourful character, even if she's an airhead. Maud's Andrea is demure and stylish, in a Severine sort of way.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote: »
    I would definitley watch Gun over any of the Brosnan films. Actually I would simply rather watch Sir Rog play Bond in any of his films over Brosnan nancying around.

In my mind I don't even regard the Brosnan films as part of the Bond series. To me they're like some weird aberration.

Yeah yeah you've said that before.

Did Rog even play Bond? I thought he just played himself ;)

The near threesome in the hotel in Thailand is a highlight for me. Britt's Goodnight is a colourful character, even if she's an airhead. Maud's Andrea is demure and stylish, in a Severine sort of way.

I think Maud Adams's main asset is her striking looks and chemistry with Moore (especially in OP). As an actress though I really don't think she's anything special.

I find Britt Eckland terribly annoying and, most of all, not funny.

Maud is excellent in Gun. The films underrated in my opinion. Like DAF.

It's got its moments but its a limp film. Half decent first half, mostly dire second half (bar the dinner table scene).

I think so. I love TMWTGG. Sentimental personal favourite, although I can understand the criticisms. It's a very unique entry and Barry's quirky score is pitch perfect for the film imho.

It's got its moments but its a limp film. Half decent first half, mostly dire second half (bar the dinner table scene).

Limp sums up the entire Brosnan era. Flaccid in fact
    I have to admit that I really like all the characters in TMWTGG (even JW, although I prefer his chubby wife who is a hoot). The possible assassin plot is also intriguing, and Asia is truly exotic.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have to admit that I really like all the characters in TMWTGG (even JW, although I prefer his chubby wife who is a hoot). The possible assassin plot is also intriguing, and Asia is truly exotic.

The only thing I would get rid off is the whole Solex Agitator business.
    True, that was pandering to the times, like Nine Eyes in SP. I like the entire Bottoms Up sequence however (all of it) and wouldn't want to lose that bit.
    Ever since I first saw MWTGG I thought there was something a bit off about it. There was a time when it was my least favourite of the lot, now I think its an average, unremarkable film. Parts of it are alright but the film almost seemed to lack enthusiasm as a whole. Hence it seems to limp along.

Obviously its no secret that the Cubby/Saltzman relationship was at breaking point.
    Ever since I first saw MWTGG I thought there was something a bit off about it. There was a time when it was my least favourite of the lot, now I think its an average, unremarkable film. Parts of it are alright but the film almost seemed to lack enthusiasm as a whole. Hence it seems to limp along.
    It's certainly a strange cookie. Atypical.

The only thing I would get rid off is the whole Solex Agitator business.
    True, that was pandering to the times, like Nine Eyes in SP. I like the entire Bottoms Up sequence however (all of it) and wouldn't want to lose that bit.

Yes, that was great. Maybe keep the scientist/inventor's execution, but remove Scaramanga's interest and capabilities in the actual technology. Keep it as just another assignment.
    Yes, I can see why Scaramanga was fascinated with it to fund his little Island and his retirement, but he would have been far more interesting without this motivation.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Limp sums up the entire Brosnan era. Flaccid in fact

Harsh. But unfortunately a fair point.
    Pitching Dalton against Moore is not a fair fight. Moore's closest rival in my eyes is Sean, and I have to say Sean comes out on top.

For me it's more interesting to compare Dalton and Craig. I personally prefer Dalton.

Which I suppose leaves Laz and Broz to fight it out. Laz wins every time for me.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Not a fan of the movie as a whole, but her role is definitely one of the highlights. That was really the first of the "Bond seduces the villain's wife/mistress" roles wasn't it?

As with a lot of Moore films, I think Gun is excellent in parts. The denouements are where they tend to fall apart.

Having said that, the Orson Welles homage in Gun is actually quite enjoyable.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    As much as I like Rog, my vote goes to Dalton. Both TLD and LTK never leave my top 8 even though my ranking has been changing quite a lot. For the moment I think Rog was at his best in LALD.

In fact, LALD and LTK would make a great double bill now that I think of it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CountJohn wrote: »

Not a fan of the movie as a whole, but her role is definitely one of the highlights. That was really the first of the "Bond seduces the villain's wife/mistress" roles wasn't it?

What about Thunderball?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    CountJohn wrote: »

What about Thunderball?

I would give that honour to Jill Masterson. I don't believe for a second that she was payed for "just being seen" with him.
    I don't think Goldfinger was interested in women in that way. He'd rather spend his time counting his gold. Her presence was just to maintain appearances.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I don't think Goldfinger was interested in women in that way. He'd rather spend his time counting his gold. Her presence was just to maintain appearances.

In the novel he painted them gold and shagged them.....to possess Gold.
    Pitching Dalton against Moore is not a fair fight. Moore's closest rival in my eyes is Sean, and I have to say Sean comes out on top.
    I agree. These two are the top dogs in my view. Sean wins.
    For me it's more interesting to compare Dalton and Craig. I personally prefer Dalton.
    I agree here again that this is a more interesting comparison, although I can't quite decide between these two. They both have their moments and they both have limitations (Dalton's are well documented on this site, but Craig's less so, although they were quite evident for me during SP). It's a draw at the moment in my opinion.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Craigs drawbacks will be more honestly discussed once he's stepped down. And once @Germanlady has stopped posting on here!

Dalton's performance is just more interesting for me. Feels more dangerous to me - like he's on edge and feeling the pressure. The A-Ha title song for TLD is a brilliant intro for his take on the character.

Whether by design or not I think it fits Dalton very well .

I like Craig. Actually happy for him to do another. But for me he is a less exciting bond. He's been great for the series and largely I've enjoyed watching him in the role, but it's Dalton I'd have really liked to have seen do a few more.
    I think Craig's quite one-note in SP (possibly due to the script not giving him much to be fair) but in the others I think he's been great. He's had far more in the way of meaty material to work with and, to be honest, I prefer his more underplayed acting style to Dalton's "dramatics". A few others have said on here you can sometimes see his acting.

Always thought of TLD song as a bit bland to be honest. I much prefer the two songs by The Pretenders.
    Dalton does convey edginess very nicely. However, when he's with the ladies I don't feel his Bond at all. Terribly unconvincing (perhaps because he followed Moore). To be fair, I feel the same way about 'automaton' Craig with the ladies, apart from in CR, where the script gave him a lot to work with. He must be given credit for holding his own with the screen chewing Eva Green.

That's why I want a smooth operator next time out. I've missed it since Moore hung up the holster (please don't mention Brosnan).
    Craig has an arrogance that suits the character, Dalton's Bond could have used a bit more of that.

You could see Craig genuinely necking a shot of alcohol in a crisis or gambling until 3am. Part of me wonders whether Dalton's Bond was a tad soft.
    Craig has an arrogance that suits the character, Dalton's Bond could have used a bit more of that.

You could see Craig genuinely necking a shot of alcohol in a crisis or gambling until 3am. Part of me wonders whether Dalton's Bond was a tad soft.
    That's an excellent point which I hadn't considered before. Perhaps I feel the same way. There was an emotional sensitivity underlying his portrayal which I found a tad uncredible.

As I've said, the infamous "Della!" is certainly not how I expected Bond to react. Connery checking out a dead Jill or Moore checking out a dead Lisl is what I expected.
    that "Della" line does seem a bit forced as does his dramatic surprised look.
    That's why he sets fire to people to kill them - he's a nancy boy
    That's why he sets fire to people to kill them - he's a nancy boy

Pah. Craig topped that by hooking a detonator to a goon's belt and making him blow himself up.