Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wow! All of RT's top 10 ranked films are in my top 10 as well, if one eliminates GF (the only film I don't have in my list).
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    What the Hell does that have to do with our opinions?

I very clearly wrote that the list was the poll's opinion, to back up that Dalton's films are held in higher public regard.

Our thoughts are our own.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Wow! All of RT's top 10 ranked films are in my top 10 as well, if one eliminates GF (the only film I don't have in my list).

You sir, have good taste!
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »

I very clearly wrote that the list was the poll's opinion, to back up that Dalton's films are held in higher public regard.

Our thoughts are our own.

Outside of specific film buffs, I don't buy that the general public hold Dalton or his films in higher regard than Moore and Rotten Tomatoes does nothing to disprove that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So is AVTAK "factually" the worst film in the series?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'd cite the Rotten tomatoes ranking of Bond films and state that Dalton's films are viewed as better by the general public, but judging from the way you have to insult people who disagree with you, perhaps you're not interested in facts:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/lists/movie/942587940_430833/

That ranking is based on the scores of RT "critics", not the general public.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Dalton as much closer to the Fleming incarnation, and without the bad comedy. And this two pictures are much better than any of the Moore films.

Better than The spy who loved me ? you're delusional but you can stay in your world if you want!

Christ even The man with the golden gun was better than Shakespeare boy ever did, well i guess too bad your guy could only make only two! Thank god Pierce came along, Brosnan could actually act.

Read Fleming. TLD and LTK are much more Fleming and yes better films than TSWLM. Jaws dropping that rock and the overt comedy..... Ruined an otherwise decent Moore Bond film. LALD is Moores best effort.....when he actually played the part.
    Disagree that Dalton's films had no "bad comedy".

-security guard with Rosika in TLD
    -lazering the police car
    -bar fight
    -winking fish statue.
  • pachazo wrote: »
    I'd cite the Rotten tomatoes ranking of Bond films and state that Dalton's films are viewed as better by the general public, but judging from the way you have to insult people who disagree with you, perhaps you're not interested in facts:

Fair response, but if you click the link on each of the films, it does give the general public score as well. And a few of Moore's films are ranked slightly higher by the general public. But clearly in either case Dalton's films are ranked higher.
  • RC7RC7
    pachazo wrote: »

Fair response, but if you click the link on each of the films, it does give the general public score as well. And a few of Moore's films are ranked slightly higher by the general public. But clearly in either case Dalton's films are ranked higher.

Yeah, by people who are discerning enough film fans to log on to a website and register their score. I think you'll find the 'real' general public would have Moore way above Dalton. Brosnan too.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    Disagree that Dalton's films had no "bad comedy".

-security guard with Rosika in TLD
    -lazering the police car
    -bar fight
    -winking fish statue.

I agree that Dalton's films had an element of bad comedy, a residue of the Moore regime in my opinion, and it lessens two darn good films. But the comedy is nowhere near as bad as the level of the Moore films. Look, no disrespect to the Moore fans, just not my kind of thing, and the thread is titled Dalton v Moore. Just think he's a better Bond, and think the two Dalton films are better than the aggregate of the Moore films.
  • I'll take Dalton's films. I prefer Bond films, not out-and-out comedies. I'd cite the Rotten tomatoes ranking of Bond films and state that Dalton's films are viewed as better by the general public, but judging from the way you have to insult people who disagree with you, perhaps you're not interested in facts:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/lists/movie/942587940_430833/[/quote]

That's cute, but how many bond movies Dalton did and how many SIR Roger moore did?
    nuff said about that. one was beloved and a legendary screen actor that's been Sired.

The other is a made-for-tv run-of-the-mill actor.

Oh and you wanna talk critics?The spy who loved me OWNS any of the dalton movies, in anyway possible, money,popularity critics etc

When is Dalton gonna be a Sir? i think he's been forgotten the poor old chap.
  • The discussion from my perspective is one of quality. Of course Moore made more films, just think Dalton's were better made and Dalton the better actor. You've just stated that critics think the Moore films were better, I just posted evidence to the contrary, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Roger.
  • The discussion from my perspective is one of quality. Of course Moore made more films, just think Dalton's were better made and Dalton the better actor. You've just stated that critics think the Moore films were better, I just posted evidence to the contrary, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Opinion huh? the spy who loved me has better critics, by a wide margin. For your eyes only beat it slighty too.

game,set and match.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Moore pretty much covered everything in his seven films for that reason I pick him, would have been interesting if Dalton had started earlier and seeing how his Bond may have evolved with different directors and story's.
  • Dalton for me, he's simply a better actor and showed it in his films, and I'll take an original fleming-esq take on the character over a funnier Connery with a different accent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Sir John Hurt was knighted as late as 2015, so that could happen anytime. I'm not saying that it will, but that it could. But consider this, Victoria Beckham has been acknowledged for services to the fashion industry, while Johnny Johnson (the last surviving Dambuster*) gets sweet FA.

* As in a war hero, not an actor.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189

Sir John Hurt was knighted as late as 2015, so that could happen anytime. I'm not saying that it will, but that it could. But consider this, Victoria Beckham has been acknowledged for services to the fashion industry, while Johnny Johnson (the last surviving Dambuster*) gets sweet FA.

* As in a war hero, not an actor.

I was annoyed the other week when I heard Ant and Dec had got OBEs. My grandfather got an OBE back in 1980 after decades working in the Law.

Anyway, I don't think Dalton would want that kind of recognition anyway, even if he was offered it. I am surprised though that Dalton hasn't been a bit more recognised for his theatre work.
    bondjames wrote: »
    An unfair comparison, perhaps. Dalton was short-changed, while Moore is one of the two pillars of the Bond world. Whenever anyone gets cast as Bond they get compared to either Connery or Moore. Perhaps that will change by the time Daniel Craig's era ends, but, as we stand today, the knights still lead the way.

Moore dominated the screen. He made it look easy. It isn't.
    Well said and agreed.

Absolutely. People dismiss Rog becuase he looks so effortless. Okay he's not a great actor, but he's brilliant at what he does. Second in my Bond rankings after Conners.

Also, he brought a lot more gravitas and drama than people make out.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Well, they are both fantastic, but polar opposites.

I will go with Moore. He is the star of my all time favourite Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me.

Also, I prefer my Bond films to be an escapist, male fantasy if you will. They always need a bit of a mean streak and cold heartedness, but I think every Bond film has that, even the softer ones.

Tim was great too, and there will always be a place for his films in Bondom.
    Roger Moore is great comedic actor, which is difficult art of acting, and he has shown to be good serious actor as well through the years. Moore and Broccoli always played to Moore's strengths and they never got as far with that with Dalton to be fair. But following such a legendary actor and succeeding takes more than Dalton had to offer I am afraid.
    Tim's two are enjoyable but not a match for Moore's mighty seven.
  • I have to go with Moore, I love the Dalton films, but he needed more
  • CountJohn wrote: »
    Dalton for me, he's simply a better actor and showed it in his films, and I'll take an original fleming-esq take on the character over a funnier Connery with a different accent.

Agreed.

And the worst moments in the series easily belong to Moore's films.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »

Exactly. I don't base my opinion on what others think. I try to formulate my own opinions.
    And the worst moments in the series easily belong to Moore's films.
    Perhaps, although I would argue that Brosnan wins that honour. Some of the best moments in the series also come from the Moore films, most notably TSWLM.
    The bad moments in the Moore films are fleeting. Whereas the Brosnan films are abysmal in their entirety. Give me MR over DAD any day. Spy over TND. OP over GE and any of Moore's entries over the quagmire or tedium that is TWINE.
    No, GoldenEye has a stronger supporting cast than a lot of the Moore entries.

Gottfried John, Judi Dench, Isabella, Tcheky Karyo etc,

There's certainly a case for some of Moore's films like Spy, FYEO and heck even MR but GE easily trumps the weaker Moore films like MWTGG and AVTAK. That's not even up for argument.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I love the supporting cast in TMWTGG personally, but agree that GE's ensemble is outstanding. In my view, it is the best since OP.