Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton ?

Comments

• SMC514SMC514 Station C
    Haha love the name! @AntiLocqueBrakes. I completely agree with you on your points about Kara and Bond. I love how they go through all this stuff together, and start to fall for one another.
    Moore doesn't seem to emotionally connect with any of his leading ladies from LALD and TMWTGG (although its funny to see him annoyed by Goodnight) and I would say Octopussy was the only age appropriate Bond girl for him. I actually didn't mind him being a guardian/father figure to Stacey, I just hated the fact they had to ruin it with that shower scene at the end..
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,778
    I love Dalton's relationship with Kara in TLD. The scene about going back to get the cello, the ride on the cello case, Ferris wheel, and pillow fight...all really tasteful. Seems odd with all that chemistry she didn't rerun in LTK. The two leads there don't connect nearly as well with Dalton.

Rog, by comparison, is just too old to be taken seriously with his ladies after LALD (XXX being the exception). By 1985, he's in full-on Dad mode - cooking meals and tucking chicks into bed at night.

I think Moore looked very suave, dashing, and young for his age for every film up until FYEO. And even in FYEO his older looking face gives him a more rugged edge that compliments him as a veteran 007 (something the movie points out more than once). I don't think Moore got to the point you suggested until Octopussy and AVTAK, which I'll admit he looked too old in. But even in Octopussy the producers purposefully paired him up with an older Bond girl in Maud Adams so not once does it ever feel weird between the two of them. Yes AVTAK is another story but Sir Rog is such a legend I think he deserves a pass on that one.
    Sir Roger Moore international movie star.

Timothy Dalton working actor.

To this day Sir Moore is a living ambassador for the 007 franchise, UNICEF & the Saint franchise.
    Dalton does some nice television work.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Both were tremendous, but Moore wins it for me. Just. Dalton brought more actual acting than any Bond before him had, but his films had their flaws just as Moore's did. And he didn't have any films on the calibre of The Spy Who Loved Me, IMO.

And yeah, his age wasn't an issue until Octopussy, but even in AVTAK, I could live with it. I mean, people didn't really focus on Roger's age in Octopussy (probably because the Bond girl was comparable in age), yet they did in AVTAK. He was only older by two years - it made little difference to his credibility, and, let's be honest, it wasn't his age that brought the film down (other than the awkward love scenes). Poor ol' Roger gave it his best shot, but alas it was his swan song.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I do love Sir Roger, but for playing Bond it has to be Timothy Dalton for me.
    A hard choice. Great Bonds in their own way. I tend to come down on Sir Roger's side just for the pure entertainment factor over the years.
  • Roger moore....and it's not even close, Dalton has no personality whatsoever and his fight scenes are terrible for a late 80s bond. he's not tough he just have the looks like brosnan, but broz could be comedic and was in actual good bond films.

Dalton fanboys will always make me laugh!
    Sir Roger by a looooooooong way....
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Are these two the most divisive Bonds? And if you like one do you automatically dislike the other? Dalton has always been my favourite and Moore my least.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Are these two the most divisive Bonds? And if you like one do you automatically dislike the other? Dalton has always been my favourite and Moore my least.
    I personally think the last two have been the most divisive. There is a lot of passionate dislike for Brosnan and also for Craig, as well as vice versa. It's not surprising, since we live in a more divisive society with rampant social media. The next chap will have trouble too, no doubt.

With Dalton, I think most who don't think too highly of him just think he lacked a little charisma compared to his predecessors, and was a little too theatrical. With Moore, those who dislike him think he did too much comedy hour & wasn't as alpha as Connery.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I like both of them in their own way, but I will say that I vastly prefer Moore. Dalton never felt like he had any class.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    bondjames wrote: »
    I personally think the last two have been the most divisive. There is a lot of passionate dislike for Brosnan and also for Craig, as well as vice versa.

Good point - they both have very specific ways of doing their thing that are pretty much polar opposites. (Strangely, I like them both.)
  • Roger Moore obviously... no debate here! Moore was in control and delivered well his dialogues with charisma, Dalton well....he never seemed in control.
  • Dalton as much closer to the Fleming incarnation, and without the bad comedy. And this two pictures are much better than any of the Moore films.
    Roger Moore....not even close.
  • Dalton as much closer to the Fleming incarnation, and without the bad comedy. And this two pictures are much better than any of the Moore films.

Better than The spy who loved me ? you're delusional but you can stay in your world if you want!

Christ even The man with the golden gun was better than Shakespeare boy ever did, well i guess too bad your guy could only make only two! Thank god Pierce came along, Brosnan could actually act.

Better than The spy who loved me ? you're delusional but you can stay in your world if you want!

Christ even The man with the golden gun was better than Shakespeare boy ever did, well i guess too bad your guy could only make two! Thank god Pierce came along, Brosnan could actually act.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Roger Moore, not my favourite, but certainly uses his licence against Dalton: Sir Rog made it look so effortless and enjoyable, while Dalton laboured over everything and made scenes that much more dreary.
    and Dalton NEVER looked relaxed and comfortable in the role...Its awkward watching with TLD (which as everyone knows is bottom of my list) and LTK is saved by the villains and supporting cast more than Dalton...Sir Roger owns every scene he is in .
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Sir Rog for me.
    Rog but I am still a big Dalts fan
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Roger Moore all the way.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Roger - simply because he was a clean, own interpretation with close to no "leftovers" from his predecessor(s) in the role. The "fun" Bond is not my personal favourite but I think his performance left the series with more variance and richness than Dalton. Also due to his number of films of course.
    Rog is massively underrated. A great Bond
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    In LALD Sir Roger (i.e. if all his films were like this). In the others I prefer Dalton. TLD & LTK are the best films of the 80's.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Rog often tended to play himself but there was an accessibility and charm about him that was always appealing - even when he played a more serious character.

Dalton was good but his style and the way he puts on the dramatics makes me a little uneasy.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    No one can beat Sir Roger for charm, agreed.
  • An unfair comparison, perhaps. Dalton was short-changed, while Moore is one of the two pillars of the Bond world. Whenever anyone gets cast as Bond they get compared to either Connery or Moore. Perhaps that will change by the time Daniel Craig's era ends, but, as we stand today, the knights still lead the way.

Moore dominated the screen. He made it look easy. It isn't.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    An unfair comparison, perhaps. Dalton was short-changed, while Moore is one of the two pillars of the Bond world. Whenever anyone gets cast as Bond they get compared to either Connery or Moore. Perhaps that will change by the time Daniel Craig's era ends, but, as we stand today, the knights still lead the way.

Moore dominated the screen. He made it look easy. It isn't.
    Well said and agreed.

Christ even The man with the golden gun was better than Shakespeare boy ever did, well i guess too bad your guy could only make only two! Thank god Pierce came along, Brosnan could actually act.

I'll take Dalton's films. I prefer Bond films, not out-and-out comedies. I'd cite the Rotten tomatoes ranking of Bond films and state that Dalton's films are viewed as better by the general public, but judging from the way you have to insult people who disagree with you, perhaps you're not interested in facts:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/lists/movie/942587940_430833/