Bond against the Taliban/Al Qaeda/ISIS?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think that much of Britain has become a very secular place, but here in NI people still believe,

Precisely my point. What 'troubles' have we ever had? Apart from those caused by the IRA or Muslims?

Yes, I'm afraid the British create more Troubles in NI, Israel, Africa etc. than they have of their own. They then leave it to the indiginous to sort out on their own. NI has finally just about got back on its feet again after 40 years of bloodshed and violence. It gave Britain a lot of help during WW2 and this must not be forgotten!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I think that much of Britain has become a very secular place, but here in NI people still believe,

Precisely my point. What 'troubles' have we ever had? Apart from those caused by the IRA or Muslims?

Yes, I'm afraid the British create more Troubles in NI, Israel, Africa etc. than they have of their own. They then leave it to the indiginous to sort out on their own. NI has finally just about got back on its feet again after 40 years of bloodshed and violence. It gave Britain a lot of help during WW2 and this must not be forgotten!

I find your 'leaving it to the indiginous (sic) to sort out' comment slightly offensive. A lot of British soldiers have died in NI trying to protect British citizens on British territory.

I for one support the NI people as part of the union (well those that want to be part of it). This is why I find it rather disgraceful to see Sinn Fein being given seats in the assembly (or whatever it's called) and the union flag being banned from flying over city hall. Last time I heard NI is still part of Britain isn't it?

I don't live there and obviously can't comment properly as you can on how things are now compared to before but the whole Good Friday agreement, whilst it may have decreased the levels of violence, does seem to my untrained eye to be something close to appeasement and capitulation. I find it sticks in the throat to see a terrorist like McGuinness now being treated as a statesman.

But if people who are directly affected think its a price worth paying for peace who am I to argue?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Umm, guys, can we chill?
    [Edited]
    chrisisall wrote:
    Umm, guys, can we chill- NO ONE has caused more world shit than us Americans (not proud of it mind you), so can we agree that times are changing, and that NI & the UK can be less than enemies?
    (I'm of Irish & English extraction, BTW)

You may want to rethink any plans for a career in diplomacy.

Northern Ireland is a part of the UK (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). NI and UK are not enemies.

While there has been a minority insurgency which sought (seek?) to have Northern Ireland withdraw from the union and become subsumed into a larger Eire (Republic of Ireland), the majority of residents in Northern Ireland have been keen to maintain the union throughout.
    Anon wrote:
    You may want to rethink any plans for a career in diplomacy.

Please excuse my general ignorance; I meant well.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,730
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I find your 'leaving it to the indiginous (sic) to sort out' comment slightly offensive. A lot of British soldiers have died in NI trying to protect British citizens on British territory.

I for one support the NI people as part of the union (well those that want to be part of it). This is why I find it rather disgraceful to see Sinn Fein being given seats in the assembly (or whatever it's called) and the union flag being banned from flying over city hall. Last time I heard NI is still part of Britain isn't it?

I don't live there and obviously can't comment properly as you can on how things are now compared to before but the whole Good Friday agreement, whilst it may have decreased the levels of violence, does seem to my untrained eye to be something close to appeasement and capitulation. I find it sticks in the throat to see a terrorist like McGuinness now being treated as a statesman.

But if people who are directly affected think its a price worth paying for peace who am I to argue?

Well, the power-sharing executive at Stormont is mandatory - it's called democracy, unfortunately, even though NI is the only country in the Western Hemisphere without an official Opposition Party or parties. Yes, IRA leaders are in the Government here, as a Unionist I find this distasteful, but there are many shades of political opinion here in NI and the Belfast Agreement may have actually strengthened NI's union with the UK, which can only be a good thing.

I did not mean to offend - I and many of the citizens of NI appreciate all of the British Army servicemen killed and those who survived too - their families and friends have my deepest sympathies, but it was not my community who had them leave NI in coffins and bodybags, for that responsibility you'd have to looked to the Sinners (rather appropraite name, don't you think?).
    I see no problem with 007 running into Al Qaida, after all in TLD he met them in the guise of Taliban as well and was friends with them. The other way around should be able to do so as well.
    The hairy thing is that 007 should steer clear of any religious controversy as that would hurt the franchise commercially, it is not like annoying an isolated dictatorship like the Koreans.

I do not want any judgements on religious thinking in the movies, simply because that would be a hornetsnest of opinions that would not cater the 007 franchise anything good. Let it be a series of escapist fun with some tone of seriousness involved and nothing more.
  • OligarchOligarch Banned
    I'm tired of action movies like Die Hard and so many others constantly depicting the "Russians" as the bad guys. It's getting very old and cliched none the less. It would be very refreshing to see Bond go against a mad terrorist based out of Afghanistan who perhaps could be funded by Quantum.
    Oligarch wrote:
    I'm tired of action movies like Die Hard and so many others constantly depicting the "Russians" as the bad guys. It's getting very old and cliched none the less. It would be very refreshing to see Bond go against a mad terrorist based out of Afghanistan who perhaps could be funded by Quantum.

As long as the motives are financial and not religious of origin.

But I do fear that most US viewers would enjoy it more than say the African or Asian market.

SaintMark wrote:
    I do not want any judgements on religious thinking in the movies, simply because that would be a hornetsnest of opinions that would not cater the 007 franchise anything good. Let it be a series of escapist fun with some tone of seriousness involved and nothing more.
    Yes, an occasional nod to the evil banking industries & corporations is all the reality I need in these movies.
    :))
  • Oligarch wrote:
    I'm tired of action movies like Die Hard and so many others constantly depicting the "Russians" as the bad guys.

Die Hard 1- Germans.

Die Hard 2- Americans.

Die Hard 3- More Germans.

Die Hard 4- More Americans.

So you can't accuse Die Hard of always depicting the Russians as bad guys. Although the next one is set in Moscow so the baddy will probably be Russian then.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Yes, an occasional nod to the evil banking industries & corporations is all the reality I need in these movies.
    :))

Everybody dislikes a banker or a large cooperation, unless you are their management or the boss, but they are minorty that is actually disliked and nobody cares about their feelings getting hurt due to their salary they should not moan too hard. ;)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oligarch wrote:

Oh yeah, because the Middle East haven't played the bad guys enough already either, have they? How hypocritical.
    How about an Amish master villain? I don't think that's been done before...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:

That would be a hell of a separation from the high-tech Silva, eh? :D

The PTS would have Bond and the villain involved in a horse and carriage chase! =))
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 322
    Well, 007 has fought in Afghanistan before - only then the Taliban were our friends, armed and trained by the US. Of course, now they are the bad guys.

Thats the problem with 007 getting involved in real life issues, as they quickly date as these guys keep changing from being our friends to being our enemies and back to our friends again.
  • chrisisall wrote:

Ahhh, the Amish Mafia. What a concept. I'm still mad at Levi for the Episode 2 burning of all those lovely plants! Yes, let's have Bond take him down before the show goes belly up, he's a menace to society in Lancaster County. Or I can do it. One compound German word from me makes most Amish about wet their trousers and he'd never mess with me :))

I remember reading recently how touchy the Chinese are about how they are portrayed in movies and are putting pressure on Hollywood. Militant Muslims would probably about riot if the Taliban or Al-Qaeda were cast in a negative light, and the rest would still complain to a degree. I don't think EON wants to go there, especially if they need to film in the Middle East to get it right and the word gets out that Muslims are the bad guys.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes Bond in the Middle East. Quantum of Solace 2: even more "real world drama" Not my cup of tea.
    I remember reading recently how touchy the Chinese are about how they are portrayed in movies and are putting pressure on Hollywood.
    Here, watch this:

Piss them off. Bunch of bitchy little girls.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Why cant we just ignore all this bollocks and have a proper Fleming-esque villain?

I think thats what they went for with Silva but didnt quite nail it to my mind. I want a Goldfinger or a Blofeld with a meaty henchman to smash DC up a bit.

Why cant we just ignore all this bollocks and have a proper Fleming-esque villain?
    I want a Goldfinger or a Blofeld with a meaty henchman to smash DC up a bit.

Hear hear! THAT'S classic!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sometimes you almost wish that Bond could fight these morons like he did Quantum or SPECTRE:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/11/opinion/cooper-quilliam-isis-mosul-takeover/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would applaud it if the producers had that kind of backbone, but they do not. Chicken, anyone? Give it a few more years, and they might.
    I wouldn't really care for a Bond movie to feature the Taliban. But 'True Lies 2' perhaps? I'll be first in line!!
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,730
    Perhaps Bond's first assignment could be to deal with Isis in Iraq and the Islamists and Islamonazis in general. All I can say is don't hold your breath on that one...
    Bond versus the Taliban or Al Queda?
    I dunno, it would just "date" the film. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but I can see some folks finding it offensive.
    Bond should stick to fighting free lance crooks like Silva or shadowy organizations like Quantum.

I would like to see Bond go up against a Dick Cheney type. A powerful but almost untouchable political figure.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,730
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Bond versus the Taliban or Al Queda?
    I dunno, it would just "date" the film. Maybe that's not such a bad thing but I can see some folks finding it offensive.
    Bond should stick to fighting free lance crooks like Silva or shadowy organizations like Quantum.

I would like to see Bond go up against a Dick Cheney type. A powerful but almost untouchable political figure.

Yes, dating the film would be the main problem here. For instance, OP probably stands out as quite dated in this regard.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dating the film? It has gone on for a millennium and a half and will go on forever.
    Dating the film? It has gone on for a millennium and a half and will go on forever.

Yes, for sure it has but many of the best films have that timeless transferable quality.
  • Bond's done Taliban/Al Queda already - called Mujahideen.

Everyone knows with a bit of sense that the Taliban/Al Queda are CIA/Saudi funded to stop the democratic process in the the oil/platinum/Lithium regions of Central Asia and the Middle East so that the big corporates can have their cake and eat it.

Jeez, so why would Bond go up against his paymasters?

Give me a classic nutter Bond villian please - leave the terrorist plots to the black operations' divisions of the US and Mossad.

It's like 1984 right now - we've sleepwalked into it. Get back to your biased opinions formed by the biased and heavily edited news you view from the orders of the masonic masters of this world.

http://blueplanetproject.co.uk/fifa-football-world-cup-2014-illuminati-symbolism/