Should Ronnie Vallance be introduced into the series?

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited April 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 13,350
As the title says what your opinion on this? I think Bond's Scotland Yard contact could be a great character to have in the films and it'll be great to have the "Ghost Squad" to turn up later in one of the films and help Bond save the day.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wouldn't mind. Any character from the novels can easily make it into the film. If they give the character something interesting to do and they have him played by a great actor, sure, why not? One thing though, he can't be a bland copy of the cinematic Leiter.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I've nothing against a Fleming-faithful character being introduced to the flicks, but wonder if Vallance made it to the screen would it be a sign that 007 would become somehow more UK-based in a film in which he appears?

If not, fine; but if that were the case I wouldn't be terribly happy - 007 is the UK's best working abroad in - mostly, hopefully - exotic locales. Personally, I wouldn't want to see that the cinematic Bond deviate from that template...
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I agree with St_George that while it would be interesting to have Vallance appear this should not lead to a UK based film. To be fair though there is no reason that this need happen, despite numerous appearances in the novels only one of them led to an entirely UK based adventure with MR. I suppose the book DAF is the classic example for how this character can best be used, by having him in a small exposition scene at the beginning of the film to highlight the UK's interest in the forthcoming mission. In the past a reoccurring fault is that the missions Bond undertakes seem to have little or no justification to warrant the attention of Her Majesty's Government. Admittedly it could be argued that this is the role M should be doing, but having an extra symbol of British authority and one in a more down to earth position would certainly be an interesting exercise.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Having Vallance be part of the M/Bond briefing scenes could make a nice change and Bond and M could always be called to Scotland Yard for a change. Even though we haven't had a normal briefing scene in ages anyway but once we do, in time this could be a good way to give the series a fresh twist.