What actor do you think would play a good villain and why?

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 645
My imagination getting the best of me, I can't help but to imagine how certain actors would fair as a true BOND VILLAIN. Even some of the ideal actors to play James Bond would be a good catch for role.

A few I had in mind were:
Clive Owen - (Modern Bond vs Classic Bond feel) - Owen looks similar to Pierce.
Al Pacino - (Who wouldn't want to see that, I mean really.)
Robert De Niro - (I only say this one because I mentioned Al Pacino)
Russell Crowe - (I think he could pull off a clever, ambitious villain)
Tommy Lee Jones - (He's a real hard ass)
Robert Downey Jr. (uh, why not. I like his sarcastic attitude)
Denzel Washington - ( I cant imagine this one, but would be interesting)
Michael C. Hall, Dexter - (He just looks evil)
Joaquin Phoenix - (I need to say no more on this one)

PS: Before I get bashed a bit for my villain pics, I'll include a short list of who I think wouldn't be good for Bond villain roles, just to offset it a bit, ha.
Steve Martin
Matt Damon
Will Smith
Adam Sandler
Steve Buscemi
Jack Nicholson (well, maybe)

What are your favorite villain character ideas?
I'm sure once you've opened that door you'll see how easy it would form a story around him or her.

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I think Damien Lewis, currently of Homeland fame, could make either a great 00 along side Bond, or as a villain. He has the range as an actor to pull either off.

Plus, as a side note, his wife, Helen McCrory, is in Skyfall.

Coincidence? I think NOT!

;)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Well...

- Gary Oldman
    - Daniel Day Lewis
    - Tom Hardy
    - Christian Bale
    - Christopher Waltz
    - Patrick Stewart
    - Marion Cotillard
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Right, forgot about that. [-X
    Needs to be a way to quickly find old forgotten about threads... :-w
  • Samuel001 wrote:

That thread says ....could have played Bond villains (in the past)

where as this thread says....would play a good villain (meaning still to come)

Just a thought....

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Both topics are so similar you could differentiate in your posts. Best to leave it to the mods, they know best.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Both topics are so similar you could differentiate in your posts. Best to leave it to the mods, they know best.

Maybe they can combine the two threads...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've often thought if this was possible it would save a lot of hassle as when threads are closed, no posts on a topic are 'lost'.

I may mention it in the feedback thread.
  • @samuel001 Good idea.
  • 1.William Dafoe
    2.Gary Oldman
    3.John Malkovich
    4.Daniel Day Lewis
    5.Antonio Banderas
    6.Clive Owens
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 172
    British actor Gareth Marks,

He played a brilliant Bond type meglomaniac ( Jean Daniel ) in the BBC BUGS series starring Jesse Birdsall 1995 to 1999. Was in seasons 1 & 2.

He was made out to be a super genius & portrayed the role without acting OTT. If you have seen BUGS than you may know this character well. Very menacing for a BBC show is all I'm saying.

If a Blofeld type character was to be in the running for Bond 24 Gareth Marks would be a good choice.

Jean+Daniel+1.jpg

• GoldenballGoldenball United States
    I'd only add one name to the distinguished list above: Tim Roth, a rather feral type of actor we've all seen, and always keen to take a bite out of you, you saw it in Planet of the Apes, and you could see it in his eyes.
  • Maybe a bit predictable, but I'd love to see what Philip Seymour Hoffman would do.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Yes, i'd like to see Robert Downey Jr. as a villain. He'd fit in Craig's era. He's a great actor.
  • Goldenball wrote:
    I'd only add one name to the distinguished list above: Tim Roth, a rather feral type of actor we've all seen, and always keen to take a bite out of you, you saw it in Planet of the Apes, and you could see it in his eyes.

I second that. He's a fantastic actor and I'd love to see him in a Bond film!

• GoldenballGoldenball United States
    Thanks, jackdagger, but that guy above- Gareth Marks (whom I've never heard of) sure looks the part of Mr. Bloefeld.
  • AliAli
    Can't we have a female villain for once?
  • Always liked Christoph Waltz since seeing Inglourious Basterds, very old school villain feel about him. On the other hand always liked the thought of Christian Bale as the lead villain sort of more successful Scaramanga idea about him, a man that could match bond etc.
    Tim Curry ?
    I know this is a reach, but Jessica Lange does fantastic job on FX's show American Horror story. I think she would be great as a high ranking Quantum member.
    jessica-lang-2-450w-0909-90990465.jpg
  • Actually, Jessica Lange was an amazing villainess in Tidus. She definitely has the potential to be an intimidating character. (I've never seen American Horror Story though)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,432
    Just watching Green lantern again, bought it on bluray occurred to me earlier Mark Strong would make a good bond villain. Despite not always being in good films, he is consistently good as a villain.
    Just watching Green lantern again, bought it on bluray occurred to me earlier Mark Strong would make a good bond villain. Despite not always being in good films, he is consistently good as a villain.

Strong would make a great villian especally the main head of Quantum and add Tom Hardy as Red Grant type henchman. It be a wet dream if they cast thoe two for the next Bond film.
  • I just watched an episode of Doctor Who, and it occurred to me. Simon Callow would probably play a damn good villain.

Callow-homepage-image.jpg

He could probably play a Elliot Carver-like villain, he looks quite similar to Jonathan Pryce.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 135
    jackdagger wrote:
    Actually, Jessica Lange was an amazing villainess in Tidus. She definitely has the potential to be an intimidating character. (I've never seen American Horror Story though)

I've never seen Tidus, but Lange does a good job?
  • Quantum07 wrote:

Absolutely, and she holds her own up against Anthony Hopkins. It's based on a Shakespeare play and is a VERY strange adaptation at that, but she's great in it.

jackdagger wrote:
    Quantum07 wrote:

Absolutely, and she holds her own up against Anthony Hopkins. It's based on a Shakespeare play and is a VERY strange adaptation at that, but she's great in it.

Ill have to check it out. Lange is phenomenal in American Horror, and won quite a few awards for her role last season. She's a great actor and can be so strong and menacing. Give her physically tough henchmen and she'd be a great bond villain!
  • Dwight Yoakam would make a superb villain. Don't believe me, watch Panic Room.

He could be a henchman, or the main baddie. Would suit a role like a terrorist/violent thief/unhinged hitman.
    Michael Shannon
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBqG6EmBXpy56-Qh36_BumgPSuWCLhALormFGU_JpIj1bVvhxiEQ