Is there any trace left of Amy Winehouse's 'attempts' to make a Bond theme?

edited November 2012 in Music Posts: 188
Just reading about how they tried to get Amy Winehouse to record a theme for QOS - and that it basically failed because Winehouse was having a relapse at the time.

But I understand that there is a demo that exists somewhere - and surely there must have been a backing laid down for when Winehouse prospectively came in to complete her vocals?

Comments

• I didn't know a demo existed but if it does I would love to hear it. Shame she ruined her talent and ultimately her life by her own self destruction.
    From what was written at the time, Ronson said : “We did work on it but we never finished it. I don’t think it will happen unless by some miracle it gets recorded and someone sings on it. I’m not sure Amy is ready to work on music yet.”

The pair began collaborating on the track at Ronson’s studio in Henley, Oxfordshire, but their sessions soon deteriorated.

Winehouse's spokesman said: “Mark presented a track to Amy, but she had other ideas about the direction it should take. We’re sure they will continue to make great music together."

So it seems that Ronson had prepared a song that was rejected by Winehouse and she never came up with anything suitable. However, there was conflicting reports by Amy where she claimed the song had been recorded but rejected and added that she wants to “prove that [the producers] made a big mistake” by not choosing her song. "I do think they could have waited a bit. If they want a worldwide hit I have them all up here (pointing to her beehive),” she said.

“I guess they are going for clean-cut and boring. When I do release mine - and I am tempted to do it on the same day - this would be the bigger hit.”

Sadly her song failed to materialise which leads me to believe that maybe it remained in her beehive and never saw the light of a studio. It would be great if there was something though.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    bondsum summed it up nicely.
  • David Arnold and Mark Ronson recorded a backing track with the Dap-Kings. They felt the demo definitely sounded like a Bond theme. Amy was meant to work on the melody and come up with a title and lyrics. Unfortunately she never turned up to the sessions which is an awful shame.

Interestingly a six-note riff composed by Arnold for the song can be heard in Quantum of Solace. Arnold liked it so much he turned it into a fully fledged song - 'No Good About Goodbye' - for Shirley Bassey.