How many times have you seen/will you see Skyfall

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't think you are a Bond fan at all.
    Because I don't like reboot Bond? Sorry I don't have a crap taste in film. So sorry to have offended someone I just met.

Dr Metz, I can respect that! Some people prefer the other style of Bond and that is fair. I have issues with the reboot too. I thought if it is a fresh start then why the 1964 Aston Martin in CR? It would be like seeing the 1966 Batmobile in Batman Begins.

I was annoyed with that scene because that car is from Goldfinger and any Bond fan knows it was Q's idea. If they want to start Bond from the beginning then keep the past out. It was half in and half out approach and some of it defied logic unless you have never seen a Bond film.

Having said that I like Craig but needed to get used to him. But his films have flaws.

Once today. Again on Sunday. Maybe next week too?
  • see it twice today, taking nephew tomorrow, maybe twice on sunday thank god the cineworld unlimited, i wonder if i can beat my record of 36 times at the cinema for living daylights and goldeneye
    Henderson wrote:
    see it twice today, taking nephew tomorrow, maybe twice on sunday thank god the cineworld unlimited, i wonder if i can beat my record of 36 times at the cinema for living daylights and goldeneye

You saw Daylights 36 times? Man, I thought I was the record breaker with 5 times!:)

• yeah but that was in days when i was young free and single these days only managing to hit 20 for last few bond films.
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    saw Skyfall yesterday morning, second viewing is booked and paid for in the biggest IMAX in the country, #3 in being planned :D
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 401
    acoppola wrote:
    Having said that I like Craig but needed to get used to him. But his films have flaws.
    I agree, somewhat. Craig as Bond isn't a big issue for me. While he isn't my ideal Bond actor, he isn't the one who writes, directs, or produces the reboot Bond films. Those are the people to blame for it being bad, not Craig.
    Henderson wrote:
    yeah but that was in days when i was young free and single these days only managing to hit 20 for last few bond films.

I did not manage that when I was young free and single. I do remember having a cinema card for TWINE but I saw it 12 times. Back then you could buy a cinema card just for a month. I often wonder how the film studio makes it's money back with those cards?

Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    I agree, somewhat. Craig as Bond isn't a big issue for me. He isn't the one who writes, directs, or produces the reboot Bond films. Those are the people to blame for it being bad, not Craig. Craig does OK with the material given to him.

Being new here. What do you dislike about the reboot Bond?

By the way my good friend who has met the Bond actors over the years says that Skyfall is excellent and they have got it right with this new one. He loves classic Bond and would stand for hours to get an autograph. And he was critical of the newer ones and rarely praises unless it is great. Did you like LTK?

Would that change your mind?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Once and once only.
    acoppola wrote:
    I remember writing a somewhat long explanation on why I didn't like them on here before, but I'll try my best to explain it here.

1. The writing isn't exactly the pinnacle of the James Bond series, to put it mildly.
    2. The reboot films just come off as trying to be like Chris Nolan's Batman series, which is just, frankly, stupid, and also shows Bond is just becoming a trend follower, trying to leech off of what ever is successful.
    3. CR was dreadfully boring, it felt longer than it was.
    4. The scores for both CR and QOS are pretty bad, nothing amazing.
    5. The reboot itself also bothers me, as i felt as it was saying 40 years of Bond history is now worthless.
    6. Bond acts like a whiny teenager in CR, and does things he would be fired and possibly killed for instantly (Breaking into M's flat).
    7. In CR, there was Sony advertising EVERYWHERE. This was actually one of the most annoying things about the film.

Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    I remember writing a somewhat long explanation on why I didn't like them on here before, but I'll try my best to explain it here.

1. The writing isn't exactly the pinnacle of the James Bond series, to put it mildly.
    2. The reboot films just come off as trying to be like Chris Nolan's Batman series, which is just, frankly, stupid, and also shows Bond is just becoming a trend follower, trying to leech off of what ever is successful.
    3. CR was dreadfully boring, it felt longer than it was.
    4. The scores for both CR and QOS are pretty bad, nothing amazing.
    5. The reboot itself also bothers me, as i felt as it was saying 40 years of Bond history is now worthless.

I do agree with you there somewhat. I felt a reboot would only be necessary if a Bond film had not been made in 20 years. But with so many films it was pointless because the past is so ingrained after almost 50 years back then. And Craig looked older to be playing a younger Bond. I mean he was almost the same age as when Connery retired as Bond. Connery left Bond at 41 and Craig started at 38.

It is not secret that the Bourne films were biting at Bond's ass especially after the dreadful DAD.

And the change of actor in the series is the reboot anyway to a lesser extent.

acoppola wrote:
    Did you like LTK?
    Are you asking if I like LTK because Skyfall is like it, or are you asking that just to ask? Because if it is the latter, than yes, I think LTK is one of the best Bond films. Dalton is my favorite actor to play Bond, and both of his Bond films are personal favorites of mine.

• Once will do. Will take my son with me.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 152
    I will probably see Skyfall in IMAX around 5 times with different friends and family members and then maybe a few more times in a regular theater once it's out of IMAX.

* I've never seen a Bond movie at the theater before, so Skyfall will be my first experience of watching one at the cinema.
  • I say CR 4 times in the cinema, QoS twice, and as for Skyfall, if it lives up to all the hype I could see myself seeing it 3-4 times easily. First time has to be iMax though! Going to pre-order fix this weekend. Forget November 6th, November 9th can't get here soon enough for me!
  • I doubt that I'm going to see it more times on the big screen, but when it'll be released on dvd/bluray, I'm definitely going to watch it again. :D
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Did you like LTK?
    Are you asking if I like LTK because Skyfall is like it, or are you asking that just to ask? Because if it is the latter, than yes, I think LTK is one of the best Bond films.

Well my friend spontaneously said he disliked Craig's first two, but that this one is more in the adult style of LTK and the balance is right. In fact I called him to check as his opinion I do value.

He thinks it is the best Bond since LTK. And he told me to see it as I was on the fence somewhat because of the trailer. I asked him if it is hype and he said that it is truly great. And he loves Connery/Dalton the most though he appreciates Moore too.

I actually bought a ticket last Sunday for tonight's 8:30 showing but have a bad cold so no go. Oh well, Eon got their money from me.

• I have seen it this morning and plan on going again perhapse twice more.
    I read with interest the comments made about the reboot and I do agree on some of them. If you don't like the reboot bond then Skyfall might not be on your list of all time greats I have to say. I found myself a bit confused at times!!!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Twice today. Loved the film! Will see it again Sunday.
    moonraker5 wrote:
    I have seen it this morning and plan on going again perhapse twice more.
    I read with interest the comments made about the reboot and I do agree on some of them. If you don't like the reboot bond then Skyfall might not be on your list of all time greats I have to say. I found myself a bit confused at times!!!!

I must say the trailer did not excite me and normally Bond trailers sell me on the film.

acoppola wrote:
    Well my friend spontaneously said he disliked Craig's first two, but that this one is more in the adult style of LTK and the balance is right. In fact I called him to check as his opinion I do value.

He thinks it is the best Bond since LTK. And he told me to see it as I was on the fence somewhat because of the trailer. I asked him if it is hype and he said that it is truly great. And he loves Connery/Dalton the most though he appreciates Moore too.
    I don't know. To me, it just looks like CR all over again.
    I'll probably just see it once. However, if I really like it and it's still playing after Thanksgiving (Nov 22) then I might see it again.
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I will see it but will wait a few weeks. I prefer seeing a film in an empty theatre. Damn mobile phones and people texting p*sses me off!

Maybe give it a chance as he says the film is intelligently thought out and the best Craig movie. You can always walk out!

I intend to see it twice on the first day (in Canada, november 9th), and then go on with at least 1 or 2 more times before it's release on DVD. Bet for 4 if it's as good as advertise. My record is 4 times both for TLD and CR.
    acoppola wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I will see it but will wait a few weeks. I prefer seeing a film in an empty theatre. Damn mobile phones and people texting p*sses me off!

Maybe give it a chance as he says the film is intelligently thought out and the best Craig movie. You can always walk out!

Yes, one could but I never go into a movie unless I absolutely know I won't hate it. Ticket's are rather expensive. You'd hate to shell out $ 6.50 for nothing.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just seen it and have free showing Tuesday night and seeing with my Mum, Dad, Brother and one of my best mates next Saturday, saw Royale 3 times and QOS twice.

All the Brosnan's once and once was definitely enough, TLD & LTK twice.
    marymoss wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    Dr_Metz wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Yes, one could but I never go into a movie unless I absolutely know I won't hate it. Ticket's are rather expensive. You'd hate to shell out $ 6.50 for nothing.

Tell me about it. In the UK, an average ticket in London is about $14 plus food and drinks. And these days some people behave badly when watching a film which is why I frequent a cinema less. Man there are some yobs where I live.

What did you think of the Skyfall trailer?

• quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Watched it three times back to back in the space of nine hours today. Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see it again. Don't know whether I'll equal my record of seeing QOS twenty-five times at the cinema - simply because I was "between jobs" back then and I'm not now.