The Score of Skyfall

1282930313234»

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Gustav_Graves

The award is for Best Soundtrack, not Best James Bond soundtrack. Does it really matter?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,055
    @Gustav_Graves

I also found this on eBay...

$T2eC16F,!zQE9s3sqI+MBQ51g2Fsew~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!rIFCiY9F38+BQ51g7kP+g~~60_12.JPG
  • From Ebay:

SKYFALL_FYC_ALBUM-1.jpg

SKYFALL_FYC_ALBUM-2.jpg

I NEED this!!! :-O
  • Having re-watched SF on DVD, I can say that the one aspect of the film that keeps improving in my opinion is the score. When I saw SF opening night I was disappointed in the score as it didn't sound "Bond-y" enough. The second time in the theatre I appreciated how Newman scored the establishing shots. Having seen it twice on DVD now I appreciate the complexity of the tracks, the repetition of themes to give the film an identity (my biggest pet peeve with Arnold), the use of vaguely Asian and "Turkish" sounds, and the sprinkling of Bond cues throughout (much better than over-using the Bond theme IMHO).

I think that Newman's subtle score works well with the film, and while I'd still prefer it to be a *little* more Barry-esque I'm very pleased with it. Different, but in a good way.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited February 2013 Posts: 108
    Having re-watched SF on DVD, I can say that the one aspect of the film that keeps improving in my opinion is the score. When I saw SF opening night I was disappointed in the score as it didn't sound "Bond-y" enough. The second time in the theatre I appreciated how Newman scored the establishing shots. Having seen it twice on DVD now I appreciate the complexity of the tracks, the repetition of themes to give the film an identity (my biggest pet peeve with Arnold), the use of vaguely Asian and "Turkish" sounds, and the sprinkling of Bond cues throughout (much better than over-using the Bond theme IMHO).
    Agreed. I initially wasn't impressed with Newman's score while viewing Skyfall at the cinema, yet I was surprised by how amazing his work sounds on the Blu-Ray and DVD. In retrospect, Newman composed a fantastic soundtrack and I hope he returns for Bond 24.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't have too much of a problem with the score of SF; in fact, I quite enjoy it, and agree it is a lot better on the blu-ray of the film. My favorite bit is probably 'Skyfall,' as Bond and M drive to the Skyfall Lodge. So eerie and chilling, in a way.
    Yes @Creasy47 "Skyfall" is a terrific track. Chills every time.

The score is improving for me as well. It's very subtle but there is something about the score and how it perfectly matches up to Mendes's visuals. No wonder those two work together so well. Do I prefer Arnold? Yes. Would I mind Newman coming back? No, in fact I'd welcome it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    With the exception of QOS I prefer it to Arnold, I hear the Barry influence but it doesn't sound luke a pastiche.