The Score of Skyfall

Comments

Hopefully, it'll signal the end of Arnold though.
    Hopefully not!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Zekidk wrote:
    Hopefully, it'll signal the end of Arnold though.
    Hopefully not!

Agreed, he's occasionally been right there with Barry in certain pieces and was showing some promise in terms of growth with the last effort. Hasn't had an effort yet to convince EON he shouldn't be asked back, meaning Serra. It's very likely he'll be back unless Mendes is in the director's chair.
  • what about a score by Thomas Newman and David Arnold for Bond24 if Mendes is in the directors chair? Didn't that happen on THE DARK KNIGHT with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard?...
  • what about a score by Thomas Newman and David Arnold for Bond24 if Mendes is in the directors chair? Didn't that happen on THE DARK KNIGHT with Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard?...

I can't see this happening to be honest, but I would have thought Arnold is still in the producer's minds as he seems close to the franchise now, and is still interviewed on Bond (even with Newman on Classic FM for Skyfall).
  • Please.........................................no more Arnold. He's done five scores. It's enough!
    Love those Skyfall Suites on Cinematic Sound. I don't understand some of you, there's some real John Barry moments in there. I also agree with @PeterGreenhill it's time for a change.
  • Looks like the score is out in iTunes in Ireland as well https://itunes.apple.com/ie/album/skyfall/id568922164
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    Well, one thing about the Skyfall soundtrack: It sounds as one piece. There are no strange cues or songs which don't fit in the whole soundtrack. With Arnold that was sometimes a lot different.

Now it is a matter of getting used to I suppose! :-)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Where can we get the soundtrack?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Right, who's going to be first to upload the soundtrack for us? :)
  • tqbtqb
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Ripped from the Cinematic Sound podcast?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    HMBFF wrote:

Track 29 of this playlist sounds like a hommage to Moonraker! Anyway, it's beautiful!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,168
    Muddyw wrote:
    Well, one thing about the Skyfall soundtrack: It sounds as one piece. There are no strange cues or songs which don't fit in the whole soundtrack.
    A movie soundtrack should fit the movie, not the soundtrack itself.
    Zekidk wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:
    Well, one thing about the Skyfall soundtrack: It sounds as one piece. There are no strange cues or songs which don't fit in the whole soundtrack.
    If you don't like the soundtrack, fine. But please don't just spread negativity for negativities sake. Watch the movie first and then tell us whether it fit, will you?

Also, one bad review doesn't make a bad soundtrack. I still love it and I would say it is much more versatile than Arnold's soundtracks ever were. Arnold didn't do a bad job though, no Arnold bashing from me. I just think someone like Newman is a different calibre, just like Deakins is a different calibre cinematography-wise. :)
    Zekidk wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:
    I'm confident it will fit the movie! What I meant was that some of Arnold's music within one movie did not sound as one whole, the way George Martin and John Barry did manage.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
  • tqbtqb
    What a tease
  • Marketto where can we find the full credits then?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I hope that's not the extent of the Bond theme. I'm not even sure if I like the arrangement.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,168
    xolani wrote:
    Zekidk wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:
    If you don't like the soundtrack, fine. But please don't just spread negativity for negativities sake. Watch the movie first and then tell us whether it fit, will you?
    I honestly can say if I like the soundtrack or not, based on samples. But besides 'Komodo Dragon' I am not impressed so far. And that's my opinion.
    xolani wrote:
    Also, one bad review doesn't make a bad soundtrack. I still love it and I would say it is much more versatile than Arnold's soundtracks ever were.
    1) One review? But there are several saying the same thing. That it's "unmemorable" and not up to Arnold's usual standard. I'll wait to pass judgement before I've heard the whole album though.
    2) Have you listened to the full soundtrack? If not, how can you compare it to Arnold's?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 19
    Delete
  • Credits from the booklet:

Original Music Composed by Thomas Newman
    Album Produced by Thomas Newman and Bill Bernstein
    Music Editors: Bill Bernstein, Tony Lewis
    Recorded and Mixed by Simon Rhodes at Abbey Road Studios and Sphere Studios, London
    Assistant Engineer: Lewis Jones
    Technical Coordination: Ernest Lee, Lewis Morison
    Orchestrations by J.A.C. Redford
    Additional Orchestrations: Steven Bernstein, Peter Boyer, Carl Johnson
    Additional Arrangements, Programming: Simon Franglen
    Music Preparation: Jill Streater, Global Music Services
    Orchestra Contractor: Isobel Griffiths
    Assistant Orchestra Contractor: Charlotte Matthews
    Concertmaster: Thomas Bowes

Instrumental Soloists:
    - George Doering (guitar and hammered dulcimer)
    - John Beasley (synthesizers and drum programming)
    - Paul Clarvis, Frank Ricotti (percussion)
    - Sonia Slany (electric violin)
    - Phil Todd (flute and ethnic woodwind)
    - John Parricelli (guitar)

Album Mastered by Simon Rhodes at Abbey Road Studios, London

Publishers: United Lion Music, Inc. and Colpix Music, Inc. (BMI), admin by Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Marketto where can we find the full credits then?

PM me @Pierce2Daniel.
    I've been very good haven't listened to the samples at all, just waiting patiently on it arriving next saturday/monday
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm a massive fan of Barry and have never fell for Arnold like some, I do acknowledge
    that there were some cues in CR and especially QOS I liked, it felt like David was finally getting their and maybe he'll be given a chance to prove himself again, I think it's more than likely, I can't see Newman returning only when Mendes does that is.

I really liked Arnold's instrumentals of YKMN and the romantic cues were fine but allot of CR just sounded like nondescript wallpaper and his use of wailing brass in the Miami sequence was bordering on parody, Time to Get Out must definitely be one of my favourite Arnold cues and if he gets a chance to rework it for a later Craig film especially if Quantum return I'll be most intrigued. Maybe Arnold should return when Quantum returns, Barry scored all the Spectre films didn't he?

From what I've heard of Thomas Newman's score I really like it and was expecting lots of melody free mood music from some of those criticsing the score who've heard it but I get a real sense that like some have already said that he's not sacrificed his sound for the sake of scoring a Bond film but he's also echoed a touch of Barry and Arnold in his music.

Maybe it's down to thinking we needed a change but I find this new score very refreshing and maybe it was a good idea that DA was given a rest for the time being, I'm sure he'll be back but then again I might just excepting watery gruel.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I just found out by accident what might be the first of Skyfall's nomination for a prize. Thomas Newman's soundtrack for Skyfall is nominated for a Hollywood Music In Media Awards 2012 in the category Original Score - Feature Film (Theatrical Release). Here is the complete list of competitors in this category:
    Alexander Desplat - Rise of the Guardians (Paramount)
    Howard Shore - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.)
    John Williams - Lincoln (Walt Disney)
    Jonny Greenwood - The Master (Weinstein)
    Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (Paramount)
    Marco Beltrami - The Sessions (Fox Searchlight)
    Mychael Danna - Life of Pi (Twentieth Century Fox)
    Moritz Schmittat - Shady Lady (Fact Not Fiction Films)
    Nuno Malo – LUV (Indomina)
    Thomas Newman - Skyfall (Columbia)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No matter how good Newman's score turns out to be, he'll have a lot of competition from Williams and Shore at any awards ceremonies.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    No matter how good Newman's score turns out to be, he'll have a lot of competition from Williams and Shore at any awards ceremonies.

Howard Shore is quite probably my current favourite soundtrack composer! But it's good that Skyfall was nominated.