The Score of Skyfall

Comments

• Zekidk wrote:
    Newman's, thus also Barry's, romantic themes always sound slightly more exotic, more mysterious than David Arnold's romantic themes. Perhaps it is Newman's use of instruments, for example the harp, the german flutes, etc.?
    One thing that surprises me is that a piano is nowhere to be heard on the 30 sample tracks. Both Barry and Arnold used piano extensively.

Ah, but there is piano. Take a listen again to Jellyfish, Modigliani, Day Wasted, and Someone Usually Dies.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    W_PPK wrote:
    gt007 wrote:
    @Sandy, if I remember correctly you're on Linux, aren't you? Unfortunately the "play" buttons do not appear for us. I guess they work on Windows Media Player. They're there, we just can't see them.

I'm on Linux too. On Chromium I also don't see WMP "Play" button.

Neither on Firefox, but you can listen to the tracks here

Thanks.
    Zekidk wrote:
    Newman's, thus also Barry's, romantic themes always sound slightly more exotic, more mysterious than David Arnold's romantic themes. Perhaps it is Newman's use of instruments, for example the harp, the german flutes, etc.?
    One thing that surprises me is that a piano is nowhere to be heard on the 30 sample tracks. Both Barry and Arnold used piano extensively.

Ah, but there is piano. Take a listen again to Jellyfish, Modigliani, Day Wasted, and Someone Usually Dies.
    Yeah, I noticed now. Besides Modigliani it sounds more like synth than classical, IMO.
    I know this isn't the place, but I actually prefer the MI theme to Bond's.

Don't hate me.

They're both great, but the MI theme makes me feel like I can scale the world's tallest building when I listen to it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I guess it's down to opinion but as much as I like Lalo Shriffin (prefer his Dirty harry score to MI), Barry is without doubt my favourite composer and the one who has had the greatest musical influence on my life. I just think his arrangement of Norman's James Bond theme is utter genius and just screams excitement.

The MI theme is thrilling but to me the JB theme means much more, too many memories and I never grow tired of hearing it in the various arrangments, Barry has managed to incorporate so well that each time it feels fresh, something no other composer has been able to do so effortlessly.
  • The film also has multiple uses of The Name's Bond James Bond by David Arnold. I hope it's fleetingly and not used instead of Newman's own version.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 6,677
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

?!? To the stake!!! Light that fire!!! Bring the torches!!! Off with his head!!!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I prefer the Rocky 1 and 4 themes and the Duke Nukem theme to the Bond theme. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    MI's just gets you going. Walking out of MI:GP I felt like a bad glass looking for the bathroom with it playing in my head. I was suddenly alert, watching everyone's movements, focusing on the little 'blue man' to come into view.

Fastest 'go', zip, and rinse I've managed too :>
    Ugh... several reviews are coming in, that Newman's score is so-so at best:

"the totally unmemorable score by Thomas Newman is certainly no substitute for previous 007 soundtrack writer David Arnold, let alone the late, great John Barry"
    http://louderthanwar.com/skyfall-film-review-by-ian-johnston/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"The only things really missing from the films are a stand out score (Thomas Newman’s work is fine but he’s no John Barry, or not even David Arnold"
    http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tv-film/skyfall-review-the-best-bond-has-ever-been/
  • Having listened to the previews of the entire Skyfall soundtrack there are definately some stand outs at the moment:

- Voluntary Retirement
    - Shanghai Drive
    - Quatermaster
    - The Chimera
    - The Moors
    - Adrenaline

I think it will be a case of a Tom Newman Bond Score, rather than a Bond Score by Tom Newman, which is fine by me. I can't wait to hear the full thing, both seperately and within the film.
  • tqbtqb
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    tqb wrote:

Interesting little snippet there, anyone heard anything about this book? This is the first I've heard about it, as someone who is huge fan of the Barry scores for Bond it sounds like a must have.

I found this is on Amazon, it's out 1st November.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Music-James-Bond-Burlingame/dp/019986330X
    tqb wrote:

Thanks for posting. Seems like it was a humerous event to attend?
  • The iTunes UK listing of the Skyfall soundtrack has one additional track at the end.

31. Old Dog, New Tricks (1:47)
  • tqbtqb
    Interesting, is there a sample?
  • The iTunes UK listing of the Skyfall soundtrack has one additional track at the end.

I call Bond theme! (I wish at least)

I call Bond theme! (I wish at least)

I doubt it. Judging by the title, it's from the scene where
    Eve shaves Bond.
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/8005#Comment_8005">Quoting BAIN123</a>: Well I don't mind him coming back. In fact his theme "Crawl" was one of the better things about the last Bond film imo:
    <br>
    <br><div class="Video"><object height="225" width="400"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOkMJRyQlXk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></object></div></blockquote>

Crawl was a remix of David Arnold's score by FourTet, I dont think he had much involvement with it, they just took his work and re-arranged it.

True, from all the Bond tracks I like most, like 'Crawl End Crawl' and TND's 'Backseatdriver' and 'Elliot's Party', Arnold basically used others for that, like indeed Four Tet, but also Propellorheads.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    i know most of us here have heard the samples for the soundtrack but i came across the youtube video with all the samples linked together so thought its worth sharing on here for anyone wanting to listen to them all at once
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Here's someone from FilmTracks who has listened to the full album, and their reaction.

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=117420&expand=1#117420
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,329
    yet another person saying the score isnt upto much , at least its not ditracting from everyones enjoyment of the film!
    wonder if we'll get mr arnold back for bond 24 ......
  • I really hope not!
  • The book The Music of James Bond by Jon Burlingame, is really good. Loads of background stories about all of the bond scores. I read an advance copy and still need to write the book review. It is well worth picking up in November.
  • My copy arrived yesterday. Amazon UK are currently shipping
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    According to the final credits of the movie, "The James Bond Theme" from David Arnold is INDEED played in the movie.
    According to the final credits of the movie, "The James Bond Theme" from David Arnold is INDEED played in the movie.

i dont doubt you marketto but where did u see or hear this??
    DCisared wrote:

Saw the film last Friday. Didn't stay for the credits, but definitely heard one of David Arnold's cues in the movie.
    Anon wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

Saw the film last Friday. Didn't stay for the credits, but definitely heard one of David Arnold's cues in the movie.

im not sure if thats a appreciation of arnold or newman running out of ideas!
    how did the score fit the film may i ask?
    would you of prefered arnold scoring?