Favorite fight from a Bond film?

AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
edited April 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,630
What is your favorite fight scene from the films? My favorite is the fight between Bond and Grant aboard the Orient Express in FRWL.

Comments

And a dam, tough fight it was too :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bond/006 cradle fight. The final fight in the franchise to neither 1) trying to emulate Bourne or 2) featuring a David Arnold cue.
  • This is hard, i guess i'll narrow it down:
    to Either - The AVTAK fight upon the golden gate bridge (one of the most tense fights i've ever seen), 006 vs 007 from GoldenEye or the end fight scene 007 vs Dominic Greene from QoS :D
    i agree Bond vs Alec and Bond vs Grant
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bond vs Grant I think will always be the best there is. Of course that's my pick.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bond vs. Necros is my #1 fight in the series.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I prefer the Blayden safe house fight between Necros and 'Green Four', it's equally as brutal yet more ingenious in it's use of props, of course the one downside is that it doesn't involve James Bond but after 15 movies wasn't it about time we saw someone else in the Secret Service have a half decent crack at the enemy. 2nd place for me would be the staircase fight in CR between Bond and Obanno, like the Bond/Grant fight it's a violent struggle dictated by the enclosed environment yet it's more realistic, more violent, more energetic, better directed, lit, and edited than the FRWL sequence which would come in up at No. 3 on my list.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Has to be Bond v Grant although honourable mention to Necros and the butler - the best fight of Daltons tenure and it didnt feature Bond.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,782
    for sheer bondness and for sheer beauty and grace and with a cracking soundtrack it has to be the Kobe Dock fight. Pure Bond, pure Connery, pure class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiXgaScpMv4
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Best Fight per Film:

DN: The Drowning of the Doctor
    FRWL: The Boxcar Battle
    GF: Oddjob is juiced
    TB: Connery wouldn't hit a woman (who is a man) would he?
    YOLT: Pier 6 brawl on the docks
    OHMSS: Bond keeps Dracos' men in line at the hotel
    DAF: Bond wants to be Frank with Peter
    LALD: There's nothing funny about a mechanical arm on a train
    TMWTGG: The girls don't need to be taken to school.
    TSWLM: Bond introduces Jaws to Jaws
    MR: The Sugarloaf Tram Scrimmage
    FYEO: Columbo vs. Kristatos at Wrestlemania
    OP: The Bond-Gobinda Street Fight
    AVTAK: Bedlam on the Bridge
    TLD: Necros gets the boot
    LTK: Bond and Sanchez set the place on fire
    GE: Pierce and Sean live on satelite
    TND: Stay out of Wai Lin's bike shop
    TWINE: Pierce pins the dead man
    DAD: Yes Madonna, a sword fight and a cock fight are the same thing.
    CR: Dan really should stay out of those African embassies.
    QOS: The Rooftop Rumble
    Quoting Kerim: CR: Dan really should stay out of those African embassies.
    That was a fantastic fight scene. I loved how Bond just drove his way through the place. The stairway fight with Obanno was great too but I'll have to vote for Bond Vs Grant as the all-time greatest. Hope it is bettered in Bond 23....
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 11,189
    This one ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7JxAvzUMg&feature=fvwrel

I love the editing, lighting and just everything about it in general. It really hasn't been bettered in the last 48 years - although at times scenes have come close.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    By actor's era-

Connery era: Bond vs. Red Grant aboard the Orient Express in FRWL

Lazenby era: Bond vs. Draco's thugs on the beach and in the ocean in OHMSS

Moore era: Bond vs. Chang in the Venini Glass Museum in MR

Dalton era: Bond vs. Necros aboard and outside of the Hercules in TLD

Brosnan era: Bond vs. Sir Gustav Graves swordfight in DAD

Craig era: Bond vs. Obanno and thug on the stairwell in CR
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Got to be Bond vs Grant on the train. A damn good fight that has yet to be equalled! It's bone crushing, realistic and very intense. I have simillar feelings for the Bond African thug in CR. But it lacks a style that FRWL fight had. Or maybe I should say the emotional attachment to the villian in that scene wasn't the same therefore there didn't appear to be as much at stake.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Quoting forgotmyusername: for sheer bondness and for sheer beauty and grace and with a cracking soundtrack
    it has to be the Kobe Dock fight. Pure Bond, pure Connery, pure class.
    Top choice @forgotmyusername top choice. You are hereby awarded the Community Gold Star award for making NicNac happy.
  • That Kobe Dock scene certainly is spectacular, i love it too. However, the top fight will alway be the Grant one. Honourabl mention to the stairwell fight in CR too.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's amazing @Mr_Sterling how that Grant fight remains so powerful nearly 50 years on. It's up there with other great action scenes (like the chariot race in Ben Hur) which we still marvel at today and wonder why they can't be topped.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Connery v. Grant
    Lazenby v. Che Che
    Moore v. Chang
    Dalton v. Necros
    Brosnan v. Trevelyan
    Craig v. Obanno
  • Indeed NicNac its the scenes sheer brutality and close quarters and the fact that both men really seem to be putting their most into beating the other guy.
  • For me:

Bond Vs Grant- FRWL: Up close and brutal- the fight's been building up the whole movie.
    MI6 Agent Vs Necros- LD
    Bond Vs 006- GE
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,686
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Switched to links. Copyright and all...
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I watched the FRWL Bond/Grant fight scene last night and while impressive for it's time I feel that almost every Daniel Craig fight scene is better (okay not the Dominic Greene one!), and certinally compared to say the Bourne series fights it looks almost sedate! For me the reason that the Connery/Shaw fight is so memorable is more to do with the build up of tension between the characters in the train carriage scene before the fight starts, in fact that scene is so well handled that it's almost a relief when the fighting does start, even though poor direction at the begining of the fight scene means we don't get to clearly see Grant's opening and reaction to the tear cartridge in the briefcase.
    What? No votes for Moore v. Sumo Wrestlers in "TMWTGG" :-S
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 60
    YES! Great clip DG007!
  • I kind of liked the fight in the landrover at the start of TLD - a vicious introduction to Dalton. In preference, though, it has to be the Bond versus Grant fight scene. I hope that #23 can benefit from the use of tension, rather than just out-and-out action, to build a scene.
    I could never narrow it down to just one, so here are my "Hall of Fame Bond Fights"

-Bond vs. Tee Hee: A magnificent fight in which Roger Moore shows his brutal side! It's just as enclosed as Bond vs. Red Grant, which makes it all the more enjoyable.

-Bond vs. Alec Trevelyan: Very similiar to Bond vs. Red Grant in that both men are equally matched, and can't find the upper hand, that is until Bond outwits his opponent.

-Bond vs. Red Grant: The old classic! I don't think I need to explain.

-Bond vs. Peter Franks: You've got to love these enclosed, clausterphobic fights, right? Along with the brutality, I really enjoy the music that plays during the fight. It makes it very epic!

-Bond vs. three thugs in Saida's dressing room: Somewhat different, in that Bond isn't facing off against the henchman, but rather some nameless hoods. I like this one for several reasons, but the main one is how amazing Roger is in this fight. He's not weak or dull like all those fights with Jaws, but instead goes into beast mode and unleashes his inner 007!
    The most striking one would be the Stair fight Between Obanno and Bond in CR. Lights and music are beautiful, the fight is really violent and Obanno really want to kill Bond, and not just fight nicely. + the presence of Vesper who bring some realism.

The fight in the orient express between Grant and Bond remains a masterpiece which is filmed very seriously.

Then, I've always been thrilled by the 2 train fights of Moore with Tee Hee and Jaws +

Honorouble mention for The elevator fight with Peter Frank, the explosing fight with Dominic Green, and the aerial one with Necros in TLD.

Every fight that takes place in a moving and closed place is, in general, great, because there is no way Bond and the guy run after each other and hide instead of knocking each other.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bond and Slate in QoS.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 1,310
    There have been some great fights over the course of the Bond films, my top three favorites are:

- Bond vs. Grant in From Russia With Love
    - Bond vs. Necros in The Living Daylights
    - Bond vs. 006 in GoldenEye

But there are many other great fights...Bond vs. Obanno in CR, Bond vs. Slate in QOS, Bond vs. Peter Franks in DAF, Bond vs. The Assassin in YOLT (After Henderson is killed), etc.

The worst fights?

- Bond and Sir Godfrey Tibbet vs. Thugs in A View to a Kill
    - Bond vs. Thugs in Stacey's House in A View to a Kill
    Both of those fights are painfully faked, which is too bad because I like the line about the rock salt. :-(

I've never really cared for the fight in TMWTGG between Roger and the three thugs...to me, it is all very stiff and fake looking....Moore's fights were generally the worst, but Moore vs. Chang in MR was pretty entertaining with all that glass being smashed.