BOND IS BACK - IN THEATERS

GoldenballGoldenball United States
edited September 2012 in News Posts: 74
This just in:

http://www.amctheatres.com/events/dr-no

I'll be there.

Comments

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Thanks for the link! I'll be there at one of the locations.... ;)

AMC, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and Park Circus have got together to bring the first James Bond film "Dr. No" back to the big screen across America on 24th September at 7pm.

AMC’s President of Programming Robert J. Lenihan, stated “Bond is an iconic character that has spanned 50 years and garnered generations of followers. As the excitement for SKYFALL continues to build, we’re excited to bring the original story back for James Bond fans.”

Tickets to the screening will will cost just $7, but those attending will get “a Commemorative 50 Years of James Bond Print. In addition, each participating AMC location will give away one Bond 50 complete collection, which showcases all 22 classic films on Blu-ray for the first time ever in one cool, sleek collectible box-set – retail value of $299.99. The Blu-ray set is available in stores Sept. 25.”
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,347
    Seems like a really great arrangement! Wish Sweden cared about showing the old ones in theatres...
    Seems like a really great arrangement! Wish Sweden cared about showing the old ones in theatres...

I still want a different Bond movie to be shown in every country in the world for the world James Bond day :(
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This type of event should be happening all over the world. If it were in the UK, I'd attend a screening.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I just ordered my tickets!
    Great! There's an AMC very close to me. Should be a lot of fun
  • I highly recommend any chance to see a Bond classic on the big screen. My son and I will be at the Neshaminy AMC listed under Philadelphia next Monday, tix already ordered. If anyone here is going to that theater, would love to say hello and have you join us.
    I highly recommend any chance to see a Bond classic on the big screen. My son and I will be at the Neshaminy AMC listed under Philadelphia next Monday, tix already ordered. If anyone here is going to that theater, would love to say hello and have you join us.
    Is there any chance that your son's username on reddit is partypoohbear?
    I ask this cause there is user on reddit who said that he will watch DN with his dad :D
  • Nope, if you knew my boy, you'd know he'd never have a user name like that.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,497
    JamesPage wrote:
    Thanks for the link! I'll be there at one of the locations.... ;)

AMC, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and Park Circus have got together to bring the first James Bond film "Dr. No" back to the big screen across America on 24th September at 7pm.

AMC’s President of Programming Robert J. Lenihan, stated “Bond is an iconic character that has spanned 50 years and garnered generations of followers. As the excitement for SKYFALL continues to build, we’re excited to bring the original story back for James Bond fans.”

Tickets to the screening will will cost just $7, but those attending will get “a Commemorative 50 Years of James Bond Print. In addition, each participating AMC location will give away one Bond 50 complete collection, which showcases all 22 classic films on Blu-ray for the first time ever in one cool, sleek collectible box-set – retail value of $299.99. The Blu-ray set is available in stores Sept. 25.”

I'd be curious to know if this will be a cleaned up digital presentation of the film. They do regular Bond screenings at Cinematheque here in L.A. but you can tell they are old beat up film copies that have been played numerous times--I kind of like the texture of those personally--but it would be interesting to see if this will be the cleaned up master that was use for the Blu-Ray release. Does anyone know anything about that?
  • @ JBFan626- that thought had occurred to me as well. I'll be seeing the film Monday night so I'll everyone know. When I saw GF this past June on the big screen in Bethlehem, PA, it was shown in 35mm celluloid just like it was when I first saw it in 1970. You could see the pores on Connery's face. The group there hosting the summer series noted that very soon everything will be digitized so maybe we'll get that.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 2,341
    DR No is playing at a couple of local theaters here on Monday the 24. I wonder if they plan on doing all 22 films between now and the Premiere.
    I think a lot of fans who never experienced the classic Bonds on the big screen should do so. DN-OHMSS.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This type of event should be happening all over the world. If it were in the UK, I'd attend a screening.

A screening of what? SF? Because there's piss all else going on here - all of this is stateside.

It seems like EON took the concept of 'everything or nothing' a bit too far, tossed a coin and the yanks won and get everything whilst the rest of us get the finger from Babs and Mikey boy.
  • Wiz. I get why you're pissed and feel for you guys, you deserve all this stuff too but it isn't our fault over here. They're probably looking at it financially first and saying "we'll make more with the yanks and less with the limeys".
  • I don't really understand why it is an either / or situation though. Jaws was released in the summer on the big screen. Raiders is playing in Imax at the moment. I simply cannot see why the only Bond other than Skyfall that we get in the UK is the documentary - and that is an Odeon exclusive.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:

A screening of what?

Of Dr. No. What else? ;)
  • Just wanted to comment on last night's viewing of Dr. No. First, the film was digitized so it looked great, really great for a 50 year old film. Sound quality also good, the strains of the original Bond theme still impressive blasting out in the beginning. If they showed any Skyfall trailers, we must have missed them. But they had the full size Skyfall display out in the lobby and I must say it was very large. Sadly, the theater was only half full compared to a packed house for GF in June, but everyone there was enjoying themselves. My son said it was awesome for him too.

The free poster AMC advertised that would be given out was the 50th anniversary poster
    with the golden girl and the titles of all 23 Bond films including SF displayed on her body FRWL opening credits style. I am still trying to score the white AMC poster seen on the AMC site. Wish me luck. They gave away a BOND50 Blu-Ray set as well and said check their website often because they may be running another promotion before SF is released on 11/9.

Anyone else go?
  • Samuel001 wrote:

A screening of what? SF? Because there's piss all else going on here - all of this is stateside.

It seems like EON took the concept of 'everything or nothing' a bit too far, tossed a coin and the yanks won and get everything whilst the rest of us get the finger from Babs and Mikey boy.

I was hoping they'd have screenings of all the Bond films. I really wanted to see Daltons films on the big screen. TLD because of nostalgia (first time I ever went to the cinema) and LTK because unlike in 1989, I'm now old enough to get in.

It's obvious they only care about making money, so why not re release all the Bond films in the UK? It makes sense. Bonds home and biggest market.
  • @ TLR- How do you figure GB is a bigger market looking at the respective populations?
  • @ TLR- How do you figure GB is a bigger market looking at the respective populations?

I just meant Bond is more popular in Britain, although the films will make more money in America because like you said, bigger country.

But still, if money is the reason why not release past Bond films in the UK and the US? They'd make more money that way.
  • I think it's probably harder to tell whether Bond is more popular in his homeland or in the US. It's a subjective sort of question very difficult to answer without some sort of statistics to prove one way or another.

Anyway, like I said I completely sympathize with my British cousins on this and feel your complaints are well justified. Bond is a British icon and a national treasure. He's iconic here as well, but certainly not the latter. I can only hope that EON has special things planned for you as well later on that they haven't announced just yet.

I won't get to see the "Everything Or Nothing" documentary as my cable provider doesn't carry EPIX. I can only hope that unless I can get it online then it becomes available another way and eventually makes it onto the Skyfall DVD. You guys get it I believe at theaters. Plus you get the new film 2 weeks before we do. I would have traded DN on the big screen for "EON" on the big screen.