Ranking the villains' speeches

edited August 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,817
How would you rank the rhetoric abilities of the evil masters in Bond?
Mine are like this:
1- Blofeld: "Siamese fighting fish. Fascinating creatures. Brave, but on the whole stupid. Yes, they're stupid. Except for the occasional one such as we have here. He lets the other two fight while he waits. Waits until the survivor is so exhausted that he cannot defend himself. And then, like SPECTRE, he strikes."
2. Drax: "First there was a dream. Now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super-race, a race of perfect physical specimens..."
3- Scaramanga: "You see, Mr Bond, like every great artist, l want to create an indisputable masterpiece once in my lifetime. The death of mano a mano, face to face, will be mine..."
4- Golfinger: "Man has climbed Mount Everest, gone to the bottom of the ocean. He has fired rockets to the moon. Split the atom. Achieved miracles in every field of human endeavour... except crime!"
5- Trevelyan: "... We're both orphans, James. But where your parents had the luxury of dying in a climbing accident, mine survived the British betrayal and Stalin's execution squads..."
6- Blofeld: "My dear Prime Minister, two atomic bombs..."

Those that are not that good are the ones from Graves, Carver, Zorin and Greene. On the other hand, it would been great if Whitaker had gave a long speech on military history.

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    My favourite is Dr.No's speech to Bond at the dinner table where he reveals the name of the organisation he works for:

"SPECTRE. Special Executive for Counter intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion."

A fabulous little scene.

I also love Blofeld's first speech you mentioned, it is from FRWL as far as I can remember?
    0013 wrote:
    How would you rank the rhetoric abilities of the evil masters in Bond?
    Mine are like this:
    1- Blofeld: "Siamese fighting fish. Fascinating creatures. Brave, but on the whole stupid. Yes, they're stupid. Except for the occasional one such as we have here. He lets the other two fight while he waits. Waits until the survivor is so exhausted that he cannot defend himself. And then, like SPECTRE, he strikes."

That speech gives me the chills
    0013 wrote:
    5- Trevelyan: "... We're both orphans, James. But where your parents had the luxury of dying in a climbing accident, mine survived the British betrayal and Stalin's execution squads..."

My definition of "it says here" dialogue. Just so out of place and obviously inserted. Maybe my least favourite dialogue of the franchise until Jinx comes along.

GF is my favourite comparing great science and discovery with great crime. Drax is wonderfully eloquent as well.

• edited September 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    0013 wrote:

My definition of "it says here" dialogue. Just so out of place and obviously inserted. Maybe my least favourite dialogue of the franchise until Jinx comes along.

GF is my favourite comparing great science and discovery with great crime. Drax is wonderfully eloquent as well.

I thought the Trevelyan speech was good :( Not the very best but still a decent, memorable scene. Love the atmosphere thats set up prior to Trevelyan's reveal.

Miles ahead of "now there's a mouthful" :-& :-& :-&
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited September 2012 Posts: 3,262
    I liked Blofeld's spill the beans speech to Bond about his plot to dispense with his animal and plant sterility virus via his lovely "angels of death" in OHMSS. I particularly like the manner in which Savalas brandishes his cigarette.
    I liked Blofeld's spill the beans speech to Bond about his plot to dispense with his animal and plant sterility virus via his lovely "angels of death" in OHMSS. I particularly like the manner in which Savalas brandishes his cigarette.

Oh thats a good one And Laz sits there fuming at his own stupidity....

Orlov spitting out the truth about lack of blame for the nuclear accident is pretty good as well.

BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    0013 wrote:

I thought the Trevelyan speech was good :( Not the very best but still a decent, memorable scene. Love the atmosphere thats set up prior to Trevelyan's reveal.

Simply get rid of the "We're both orphans." It's unnecessary. God forbid the general audience has to take hints around something.
    actonsteve wrote:

Oh thats a good one And Laz sits there fuming at his own stupidity....

Orlov spitting out the truth about lack of blame for the nuclear accident is pretty good as well.

That's a good scene but is Orlov the "main" villain or is that technically Kamahl?

Shame Grant isn't technically the main villain in FRWL. The scene when Grant reveals his true self on the train is, in my opinion, a strong contender for best scene in the series.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Simply get rid of the "We're both orphans." It's unnecessary. God forbid the general audience has to take hints around something.

I quite liked that reference to Bond's parents dying in a climbing accident. In fact that's how I first found out Bond was an orphan.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

That's a good scene but is Orlov the "main" villain or is that technically Kamahl?

Yes, true he is the secondary one. And its Rog who puts the puzzle together once he says "against whom?" Its Rogers speech not the villains.

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

Yes, true he is the secondary one. And its Rog who puts the puzzle together once he says "against whom?" Its Rogers speech not the villains.

Rog is good in that scene

"On your feet General. You're going to stop that train"

I'm seeing him next month :D
  • Anything Lonsdale said in Moonraker, the best main James Bond adversary for speeches and remarks and all round fine dialog. From 'Can I press you to a cucumber sandwich', to 'You're not a Sportsman Mister Bond, why did you break off the encounter between my pet python' to 'Mister Bond must be cold after his swim, place him where he can be assured of warmth' This is one reason why I hold Moore's 1979 release, as a nonsense, but fun, escapade in such high regard. Pity we couldn't have seen Lonsdale in more Bond releases

Joseph Wiseman was also quite brilliant with this, the dinner scene with Connery and Andress has reached legendary status for me, one of the things always worth waiting for in Doctor No

Chris Lee also, another dinner talk, this time with Moore and Ekland in Golden Gun -'You work for peanuts etc', great talking from a great actor

Johnathan Pryce, and actor of caliber, was wasted in Tomorrow Never Dies, his Carver character, despite a few droll quips, really wasn't nasty enough, wasted potential there. I think in another release and maybe with another Bond, it could of worked, but that year was a major disappointment all round

Savalas also gets a mention, for his elaboration of his angels of death to Lazenby when his Hilary Bray persona is rumbled
  • I really like Strombergs speech when he meets Bond in TSWLM, and Sanchez's speech about loyalty in LTK.
    BAIN123 wrote:

A second date? I hope you get him to pay...

actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

A second date? I hope you get him to pay...

If he really is the gentleman people say he is he'd offer ;)
    1. Alec Trevelyan's speech in the statue graveyard- "Only to come home, well done, good job, but sorry, old boy. Everything you've risked your life and limb for has changed."

2. Dr. No's speech at the dinner table- "Unfortunately I misjudged you, you are just a stupid policeman, whose luck has run out."

3. Elliot Carver's speech on the Stealth Boat- "Look at William Randolph Hearst, who told his photographers, you provide the pictures, I'll provide the war. I've just taken it one step further."

4. Ernst Stavro Blofeld at Piz Gloria (yes, I admit, it is from OHMSS, surprisingly)- "If my demands are not met, I will proceed with the systematic extinction of all plants and livestock all over the world."

5. Dr. Kananga at the Fillet of Soul basement hideout- "The question remains, asked by the gentleman concerned.......did you touch her?"

6. Francisco Scaramanga at the dinner table- "But then again, the English don't find it sporting to kill in cold blood."

Those are the most stand-out villain speeches that come to mind as of right now!
    I just remember the Scaramanga's story about the Circus and liking better to kill than animals was a very impressive speech.
  • It is a fine thing but can easily go unnoticed by the causal viewer. We pay more attention to these things because we are Bond enthusiasts, there's not always the same span of attention to the finer details to a casual watcher of any Bond release. It's much easier for some to highlight and pinpoint classic moments of Bond dialog that may go over the head of others

Someone surely must have mentioned Grant on the Orient Express as he has Bond on his knees in Russia. It's an almost certainty, but I felt like an inclusion nonetheless

Charles Gray and Connery in Diamonds, about his master plan, and before the 'wrong pussy' incident

Moore and Jourdan over dinner in Octopussy, 'hardly, we are much more civilized than that'

Trevelyan and Brosnan in Goldeneye at the Janus meeting, said so many times before

Carver and Bond in Saigon as he prepares his headlines (ridiculous typing scene), TND

Stephens and Brosnan, DAD, before Frost switches sides

I guess we can include LeChiffre and Craig in this during the 'genitals violation' sequence also
    @Baltimore_007 Do you agree with me that Whitaker could have an impressive speech on military history? He did say some lines when he welcomed Pushkin but his rhetorics could had a bigger impact. Even if he was only an arms dealer, not a PhD professor in Foreign Affairs, of course.
  • 0013 wrote:
    @Baltimore_007 Do you agree with me that Whitaker could have an impressive speech on military history? He did say some lines when he welcomed Pushkin but his rhetorics could had a bigger impact. Even if he was only an arms dealer, not a PhD professor in Foreign Affairs, of course.

I'm usually the one to comment on Whitaker as he is in my opinion so underated.

His first scene with Pushkin is quite good and I think that by not giving him over the top speech made the sequence seem realistic. The mannequins dressed as evil dictators I'm sure gave the first time audience an idea that this fellow has some sort of mental problem.

Maybe the script could have referenced Hitler or other warmongers a bit more?

Can you come up with a speech as I would like to know as a Whitaker fan?

My fav line of his was with 007 "you could have been a live rich man instead of a poor dead one" again maybe underated.

I agree however that he could have had a better speech session with 007 before his gunfight.

Big improvement.

I like this lines: "War. War has always been man's main occupation. Fools say his greatest accomplishments were the wheel and the alphabet. I say it's a battering ram and gunpowder."
    They are good, but a longer speech coudn't hurt, like comparing that while positivism claimed science is the engine of history, and marxism said that struggle of class is, he believe that the real inner force of the history of mankind is war.
  • Some of the stuff that Le Chiffre says during the torture scene are really effective at showing how...weird the guy is.
  • NeengPohNeengPoh Banned
    I've always liked Carver's speech in TND... "there's no news... like bad news!" my favorite villain of the BRosnan era... the most like an old style villain
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I liked one of Carver's later lines: "Look at William Randolph Hurst, who told his photographers, 'You provide the pictures, I'll provide the war.' I've just taken it one step further."
    How would you rank Silva's speech on rats and survivors?
    For me it was very good, not over-the-top but realistic but also symbolic.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Another Kerim Top 10

1. Dr No Does Not Like Bond as a Dinner Guest
    2. Blofeld's Fishy Tale
    3. Rats! It's Silva
    4. Blofeld's Electrifying Thunderball Speech and Ransom Demand
    5. Scaramanga's Magical Mushrooms
    6. Telly and Tracy's Poetry Reading
    7. Why I Hate England by Alec Trevelyan
    8. Quit Busting Bond's Balls Le Chiffre
    9. Sanchez Drug Dealer Unification Speech
    10. Goldfinger Manipulates the Mob
    Great ranking @Kerim!
    But I'll leave Telly and Tracy's Poetry Reading for the top literary references (or intertexts) along with: Tennyson's Ulysses (the best in my opinion, follow by "Thy Dawn, O Master of the Word..." that you cited), the Genesis in MR, Heminway's A Farewell to Arms and François de La Rochefoucauld in DAF. (That's as far as I remember.)
  • I'm going to sound like a homer here, I know, but I loved Silva's speech when he first showed up in Skyfall.
  • LeChiffre's "Will you yield in time?" speech deserves a mention.

Also, Toby Stephen's snarling speech about how he modeled Gustav Graves after Bond is one of the very few good points in Die Another Day.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    SlyFox007 wrote:
    LeChiffre's "Will you yield in time?" speech deserves a mention.

Also, Toby Stephen's snarling speech about how he modeled Gustav Graves after Bond is one of the very few good points in Die Another Day.

Agreed on that - shades of the filmic Francisco Scaramanga in The Man with the Golden Gun there!
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 135
    Elliot Carver:

Gentlemen, and Ladies, hold the presses! This just in! By curious quirk of faith, we have the perfect story with which to launch our satellite news network tonight. It seems a small crisis is brewing in the South China Sea! I want full newspaper coverage,I want magazine stores, I books, I want films, I want TV, I want radio, I want us on the air 24 hours a day, this is our moment! And a billion people around this planet will watch it, hear it, and read about it from the Carver Media Group!

[pause]

There's no news, like bad news!

Carver's words are a verifiable feast.