DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    All those wins for BvS outside of Eisenberg are ridiculous. Affleck and Cavill the worst pair of the year, and BvS getting the worst sequel and script award? I know I'm hard on it, but that's balderdash.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    All those wins for BvS outside of Eisenberg are ridiculous. Affleck and Cavill the worst pair of the year, and BvS getting the worst sequel and script award? I know I'm hard on it, but that's balderdash.

Yep. Agreed. Total BS.

Cavill actually doesn't get enough credit for his two Supes performances. He instills a sense of hope and warmth that the writing didn't really account for.

And I thought his scenes with Affleck at the Luthor gala in BvS were super. Affleck was great in those scenes too. In fact, they might just be my favourite scenes in the film. Some actual detective work there in that sequence.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844

Yep. Agreed. Total BS.

Cavill actually doesn't get enough credit for his two Supes performances. He instills a sense of hope and warmth that the writing didn't really account for.

And I thought his scenes with Affleck at the Luthor gala in BvS were super. Affleck was great in those scenes too. In fact, they might just be my favourite scenes in the film. Some actual detective work there in that sequence.

The Razzies have a history of following the crowd and targeting high-profile films that popular opinion deems to have failed in some obvious, spectacular, or laughable way. I think Denise Richards won one for TWINE. A bad performance by no means. Actually quite good by Bond girl standards, but it's Denise Richards playing a nuclear physicist. She was getting a Razzie from the day she was cast. I have to revisit BvS so I can't speak to their performances, but I think Cavill and Affleck were awarded for issues pertaining to how the writing portrayed their characters, specifically the riseable "Martha" scene.

(By the way, from lurking the IMDb boards when they still existed, someone gave a hilarious response to why Batman saved Harley from drowning in SS:
    he discovered her mother was named Martha, too.
    ;) )
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    What Henry and Ben played out were problems of the script, but they did good with what they had. Ben carried real emotional weight in the opening as Metropolis got torn to shreds, and Henry was able to depict a man with the world on his shoulders. They may've been failed by their script in some ways, but nothing on the page or the screen was worthy of a goddamn Razzie.

As for Richards, I can see why she won. In a ranking of Bond girl performances, many of which are superb, rich and/or dimensional, she wouldn't be too high up.
  • What Henry and Ben played out were problems of the script, but they did good with what they had. Ben carried real emotional weight in the opening as Metropolis got torn to shreds, and Henry was able to depict a man with the world on his shoulders. They may've been failed by their script in some ways, but nothing on the page or the screen was worthy of a goddamn Razzie.

As for Richards, I can see why she won. In a ranking of Bond girl performances, many of which are superb, rich and/or dimensional, she wouldn't be too high up.

Her character was a bit absurd—in the best Bondian tradition of absurdly attractive doctors, secret agents, and various other professionals—but her performance was by no means bad. Certainly not Razzie bad. And that's what I'm saying. Actors aren't always awarded Razzies for their performances. Sometimes they're simply awarded them for the type of character they played or the reputation of the film they appeared in.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Raspberry Awards should give themselves one.
    The Raspberry Awards should give themselves one.

They need the attention hence no real dross ever gets nominated, it is generally well known movies that are not at their best performance, but superiour to many b & c movies out there.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Nobody takes the Razzies seriously, so I see no harm in them. If your opinion is truly swayed by awards shows, then you need the Razzie.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Is David Ayer teasing the Gotham City Sirens villain?

It'd be great to finally see Black Mask done justice. I was so excited for Batman: Arkham Origins for that reason, and we all know how that turned out.
  • It'd be great to finally see Black Mask done justice. I was so excited for Batman: Arkham Origins for that reason, and we all know how that turned out.

I was let down by that twist too, but just another way of shoehorning in The Joker. To see Black Mask done in movie format is definitely something I wish to see, I wonder who could play the character.
    It'd be great to finally see Black Mask done justice. I was so excited for Batman: Arkham Origins for that reason, and we all know how that turned out.

I was let down by that twist too, but just another way of shoehorning in The Joker. To see Black Mask done in movie format is definitely something I wish to see, I wonder who could play the character.

The great thing is, all they really need to find is an actor with the stature and voice. Their face would always be covered, so what they looked like feature-wise wouldn't matter. I think Sionis and that charred on mask would be a chilling visual to see in live action.
  • Exactly, his origin story is also incredibly fascinating. I'm not sure if anybody remembers the Batman video game from 2003 called "Dark Tomorrow", it was a terrible game, but had some great cutscenes, and the characters were modeled based off of how they appeared in the 80s - 90s; anyways it features Black Mask as a character, and the voice was incredible. I also liked seeing him in the Under the Red Hood animated movie.
    I honestly don't know much about Black Mask, but I do know he typically has beef with Catwoman. Does he also have a history with Ivy and Harley?
  • Cavil shared this photo16998005_1356136487779827_8387139053572394799_n.png?oh=c81e9f4618e2b59af069a67f857c0e08&oe=5941934C

Henry Cavil potential major spoiler
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Lol, I don't know. He simply could have walked by a shop that had that mannequin in the window, or he may actually be hinting at something.

Many fans are losing their minds right now though because Armie Hammer liked that photo.

The great thing is, all they really need to find is an actor with the stature and voice. Their face would always be covered, so what they looked like feature-wise wouldn't matter. I think Sionis and that charred on mask would be a chilling visual to see in live action.

He is basically Tony Montana minus the cocaine. He would be a great foil for Affleck's interpretation.
    Lol, I don't know. He simply could have walked by a shop that had that mannequin in the window, or he may actually be hinting at something.

Many fans are losing their minds right now though because Armie Hammer liked that photo.

Are they? No offense to the guy, but of all the great casting choices that could be made, WB may be picking Hammer, who has never screamed leading man material? I don't know.

DC need perfect casting choices, which they haven't scored in notable ways yet. Hammer for GL doesn't instill me with confidence.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 8,028

Are they? No offense to the guy, but of all the great casting choices that could be made, WB may be picking Hammer, who has never screamed leading man material? I don't know.

DC need perfect casting choices, which they haven't scored in notable ways yet. Hammer for GL doesn't instill me with confidence.

I actually think they've been right 95% with the top choices. It's just Lexenberg that lets the side down majorly.

But you're right, Hammer is not a leading man. He's a solid support actor but can't carry something on his own the way Affleck can.

I actually think they've been right 95% with the top choices. It's just Lexenberg that lets the side down majorly.

But you're right, Hammer is not a leading man. He's a solid support actor but can't carry something on his own the way Affleck can.

I guess part of my issue and why I view the casting as lackluster is because the actors haven't been given much to really show what they have.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They must have cast Hammer because he wore a similar mask in Lone Ranger.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Which was a box office bomb.

Fans love him because he looks like Hal Jordan. That's usually the extent of the consideration fans give to their casting choices.
    If anyone has the Vero app, check out Zack Snyder's latest post. There's an "aquatic" surprise there.

Here's a screenshot of the video:
    LUGA9sH.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    aqua-gif-1.gif
    The underwater sections are going to look so weird in live action and with the effects. It's no fault of the filmmakers, it always looks weird. Having characters speak underwater, and to make that look less than silly, is a difficult task.
    The underwater sections are going to look so weird in live action and with the effects. It's no fault of the filmmakers, it always looks weird. Having characters speak underwater, and to make that look less than silly, is a difficult task.

I agree. I wouldn't have blamed the filmmakers for avoiding an Aquaman film altogether. It will inevitably have elements that look and feel very unnatural and maybe even dumb, but that's not necessarily uncommon for comicbook movies. Still, I think the sooner we accept this film will require a lot of suspension of disbelief, the better time we'll all have.

With all that said and taken into account, I'm really impressed with the clip above.
    They may use telepathy for communicating for the under water sequences in Aquaman, it would make sense as it eliminates a few potential issues.
    They may use telepathy for communicating for the under water sequences in Aquaman, it would make sense as it eliminates a few potential issues.

I remember seeing a quote from James Wan a while back saying he actually wanted to have spoken dialogue underwater. In the quote, he went into more detail about what he envisions. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:

Here it is:
    "I love the idea of underwater speaking but with a real sort of sonic, aquatic quality to it. So there's this sort of aquatic, almost sonar/whale thing. Even though it's in a human language, there's this slight sort of underlay to it, this ping to it, which I think would be interesting for us to design from a sound design perspective. Yeah, it will be fun. Also, Zack has some ideas that he'll be doing in Justice League."