Ralph Fiennes

edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 4,619
LONDON -- Ralph Fiennes will play Prospero in "The Tempest," Shakespeare's final play, at the Theater Royal Haymarket in London's West End. Helmed by Trevor Nunn, the production will begin previews from Aug. 27.

<b>Fiennes's movie commitments mean the run will be strictly limited. He is skedded to start filming on the Sam Mendes helmed "Bond 23" In December. The latter is scripted by John Logan who also scripted Fiennes's recent movie helming debut "Coriolanus."</b>

In other casting news, Dame Diana Rigg will join the forthcoming West End production of Shaw's "Pygmalion." She will play mother to the previously announced Rupert Everett. The Chichester Festival Theater production, directed by Philip Prowse, previews at the Garrick from May 12 ahead of a May 25 opening.

Source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034436

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    So Fiennes is on board and begins filming in December? Nice!

Thanks for the news Pistoles! It's nice to have something to talk about at last.

Perhaps a better title, such as "Ralph Fiennes to begin filming Bond 23 in December* would attract more attention? At the moment it could easily be passed by.

EDIT: It seems filming will begin in December as well:

"Almost as soon as he comes out of The Tempest, Fiennes will begin preparations for the new James Bond film, which begins shooting in December.

This column was first to reveal that Fiennes had met with his old friend Sam Mendes, who is directing the latest 007 thriller (which has the working title Sam Mendes Bond 23), about starring with Daniel Craig in the picture."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1369777/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Ralph-Fiennes-cast-spell-stage.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • This would be fantastic. Especially if the Javier news is true as well. Top talent.

Dont want to typecast the man, but I'm assuming he'll play bad? We all know what great villain he makes.

Was he not in the running for Bond back in the 90s? Or am I mistaken?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would love RF in a Bond film. He's one of the very best of actors we still have and to not include him in a Bond flick at one point or another would be a crime. Just wondering though if this news is sufficiently verified.
    Variety is a very respected source @DarthDimi, so I'd say he is indeed in the film which looks to have a December start, which means a December - May schedule.
    Interesting. Well, in that case I can only begin speculating on which part he'll play. Could it be the big chief of Quantum after all? :)
    With perhaps both Bardem and Fiennes having parts in Bond 23 the idea of the Sprang brothers is an interesting one...

Bardem, if he accepts is the primary villain, so Fiennes is maybe his second in command.
    So excited by this news! Bring it on. >:D<
    I can totally imagine him as a villain... Q perhaps - or too young?

Good news anyway... I like the guy. I remember back in 2005, there was a certain member that wanted him to replace PB. We said that it was never going to happen, but at least he's in here somewhere!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Fiennes should make a good villain. And Dame Diana would be perfect as Mrs. Higgins in "Pygmalion".
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 421
    ^ Is that a sarcastic comment, or would she actually? I just think Fiennes has that "cold" look about him!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the whole thing... I'm not that up to date on stage theatre anyway!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting DarthDimi: Interesting. Well, in that case I can only begin speculating on which part he'll play. Could it be the big chief of Quantum after all? :-)
    Indeed, the plot thickens! The tip came from Variety it seems, so sounds possible. Hmmm... and hmmm... again... ;)
    If the whole article is from Variety I´m tempted to put a little faith in it. Ralph Fiennes in Bond would be fantabulistic. But I wonder if they would cast two heavyweights such as Bardem and Fiennes in one Bond film?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Could be like Blofeld and Largo. We might see Fiennes playing the Quantum head, whilst Bardem plays the film's primary antagonist, the guy in charge of the scheme.

Either that, or we'll have Ralph playing he new M, which could be exciting news for those who are fed up with Dame Judi, but possibly less of and interesting role for Finnes in general.
    M, eh? Tempting. And it could be very interesting for him. Just depends on how they play it really...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Good news. Always thought he wouldve made a class Fleming style Bond back when they cast Brozza. Too old now of course but hes a great villain. Hope they dont waste him as an ally as I would really like to see some sort of Goldfinger style laser table show down between him & Daniel.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Fiennes is a great actor, who alongside Craig and hopefully Bardem can bring us a great Bond film after a four year hiatus. Lord knows us Bond fans have been hanging out for something special, and to be honest I think we deserve all the stops to be pulled out.
    By having such a stellar cast would hopefully, potentially bring about a better performance from all concerned. Though it's not a guarantee.
    Time will tell.
    Maybe Fiennes will reprise his role of John Steed from "The Avengers" ;-)

As Roger Moore would have put it: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Would an actor like Feinnes commit to a movie that hasn't even got a script yet? I know it's a Bond so you kinda know what you get, but if there is no specific part, nothing on paper for him to look at, why on earth would be 'commit' to the film?
    Too bad they used so much of Risico in FYEO. Can you imagine Bardem and Fiennes in the roles from that story!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Quoting NicNac:
    Would an actor like Feinnes commit to a movie that hasn't
    even got a script yet? I know it's a Bond so you kinda know what you get, but if
    there is no specific part, nothing on paper for him to look at, why on earth
    would be 'commit' to the film?
    From what we can extrapolate both Bardem and Feinnes have been told an awful lot about their roles hence both wanting to be a part of Bond 23. Feinnes will play the "darkly complex" character which is not the main villain - that's Bardem's role. Also this film is said to be "the first of a new era of Bond films". It'd be a very short time now until they read the script as production could begin as early as September if some indications are to be believed.

I highly doubt two fantastic actors are mearly going on 'it's a Bond film' . This project should be something special if both want to be a part of it!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Ta Sam. I think all the things we have had to deal with over the new community has meant I'm forgetting to look at the importnant stuff in life.
    ie Bond news!
    @NicNac

No worries, I'm glad I could be of help. Indeed Bond news is most important!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Unless you're a member of MI6community, and would systematicly refuse to star in a film featuring a certain Bond actor you can't stand, no sane actor would say no to a Bond film proposition.
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: no sane actor would say no to a Bond film proposition.
    But I believe many have.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Quoting DaltonCraig007: Unless you're a member of MI6community, and would systematicly refuse to star in a film featuring a certain Bond actor you can't stand,no sane actor would say no to a Bond film proposition.

:-D
    I suspect he'll be a villian but he could be an ally of Bond's. Who knows. He's talented and versatile enough to undertake both roles in a splendid fashion. If the producers have any interest at all in taking advantage of his wonderful acting abilities then they'll give him a decent amount of screen time that doesn't just include kinetic scenes. These days, every character except for Bond is highly underdeveloped. Make the film 2 and a half hours long if they insist on having so much of the physical stuff.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I personally hope they don't get lazy and just cast him as an out and out villain, an ally would be more interesting, the idea of him playing Q or Boothroyd depending on how they reboot the Quatermaster.

Giving him the big bad shows a lack of imagination and just because he has been he who must not be named I hope EON utilise him more imaginatively if he has indeed been cast as this has not been officially confirmed.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Quoting Shardlake: the idea of him playing Q or Boothroyd depending on how they reboot the Quatermaster.
    In that case, Fiennes' talent would need as much screentime in Bond 23 alone than Llewelyn in his 17 films put together.
    Quoting Shardlake: I personally hope they don't get lazy and just cast him as an out and out villain
    This is a major concern of mine. When Carlyle, Pryce and Stevens were cast, I always thought they'd be fantastic. Things turned out a little different to be honest. Carlyle did what he could and only because of his many talents was he just barely able to convince me as Renard. Pryce balanced on being enjoyable as both a villain and a joke. Stevens let me down from the get-go although I presume it's not the man's fault he had to suffer through such a terrible character development.

So will they at least respect Fiennes' talents and give him some quality material to deal with. I hope so and if they don't, it'll be the first major beef I may have with the film. But I'm always optimistic so let's just wait and see. ;;)
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    The amazing villain talents in the Brosnan era were wasted on rubbish, OTT, 1 dimensional characters. The villain talents in the Craig are are also wasted on under-developped, too low-key characters. And they got way too small screetime. Obanno? Mollaka? Fisher? Dryden? Mitchell? Elvis? All have less than 5 minutes of screentime. It seems that the Craig era has too low-key and under-developped villains, and henchmen with too small screentime. Both extremes, in other words. A better balance should be found for B23.