SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    oops, better place for this...

You're friends might have possibly been goofier than mine were.
    Strange thing is, we didn't even do drugs..... back then

Strange world it was...back then.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,687

Strange world it was...back then.
    Manipulated quote! Why you I oughta-!

oops, better place for this...

I know this isn't amazing or anything, but only two peeps got a little kick out of it?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You sure? I thought those wer special effects... :-D
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    For me,for a Bond first timer ,i would probably go with :

DN ,FRWL, GF, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, OP, LTK, GE, CR, QOS, SF.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Pretty similar. I wanted to include QOS, but in forcing myself to stop at 12, it made sense leaving it out as CR pretty much fills that niche.

Yes they are pretty similar,i picked QOS for the conclusion of the Vesper story,which as a newbie Bond fan,they would obviously want to see how it pans out.

OP is a great espionage cold war Bond film with some tense moments and great score and locations.
    It's much more of a Bond film to me than FYEO.

That's my thinking .
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Revisiting our discussion on what are the agreed upon (by concensus) "Classic" Bond films, in a way. I was talking to a student about which Bond films should he watch to test the waters, as it were. It got me thinking about how I would abbreviate the series for someone that just wanted to spend a few weekends with Bond; essentially cut it in half. These aren't necessarily my Top 12, but to me this makes a strong and interesting look at the series at its' best.

DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, LALD, TSWLM, FYEO, LTK, GE, CR, SF

Initially I was going to use TLD over LTK, but the latter references both OHMSS and LALD, so I thought it a cool way to go.

So, Originals or other people who aren't too obnoxious for this thread, your Bond series of 12 films?

I would probably omit LALD and insert TLD, because it is a far better Bond film, and maybe substitute TND for GE, just because I enjoy it slightly more.
    Hmmmm....
    DN, FRWL, GF, OHMSS, LALD, TMWTGG, TLD, LTK, GE, TND, CR, QOS
    Okay, I like YOLT and TSWLM, but a newbie might find them a little silly in this age of dark & grim. TB is a bit plodding at times. FYEO is great, but if I were new to Bond the disco beat and the delicatessen in stainless steel would REALLY put me off. Okay, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • I can't go with LALD or QOS for newbies. LALD is too much "of its time" with the blaxploitation elements, and QOS was just a bummer to me. "Conclusion of the Vesper story?" That's fan thinking. Once our theoretical newbie becomes a Bond fan he'll want to see it, until then there's lots more enjoyable stuff out there. I'd say DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, FYEO, TLD, GE, TND, CR, and SF. 4 by Connery, the sole entry by Lazenby, 2 by Moore, 1 by Dalton, 2 by Brosnan and 2 by Craig. I think that's a nice representative sample. TND doesn't get its fair share of respect to my way of thinking. The Carver Media Group is an evil entity that was ahead of its time and that time is now. I think our newbie would be able to appreciate CMG today. "Consider him slimed." Personally, I prefer TLD to LTK but recognize that others have an exactly opposite opinion. Still, Dalton deserves to be represented in our newbie list and since this is my version of the list, that's the way I'll go.
    I can't go with LALD or QOS for newbies. LALD is too much "of its time" with the blaxploitation elements, and QOS was just a bummer to me. Conclusion of the Vesper story?" That's fan thinking. Once our theoretical newbie becomes a Bond fan he'll want to see it, until then there's lots more enjoyable stuff out there. I'd say DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, FYEO, TLD, GE, TND, CR, and SF. 4 by Connery, the sole entry by Lazenby, 2 by Moore, 1 by Dalton, 2 by Brosnan and 2 by Craig. I think that's a nice representative sample. TND doesn't get its fair share of respect to my way of thinking. The Carver Media Group is an evil entity that was ahead of its time and that time is now. I think our newbie would be able to appreciate CMG today. "Consider him slimed." Personally, I prefer TLD to LTK but recognize that others have an exactly opposite opinion. Still, Dalton deserves to be represented in our newbie list and since this is my version of the list, that's the way I'll go.

I am a Bond fan .... problem ?
  • None at all. We're trying to put together a list designed for a non-fan... with that in mind, I don't think QoS is a strong enough entry to make the list of 12.
    None at all. We're trying to put together a list designed for a non-fan... with that in mind, I don't think QoS is a strong enough entry to make the list of 12.

As I feel with FYEO x touché
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I wonder if it helps to define a list for a "first-timer" that contains half of the entire set of movies. Nobody's going to decide he's a Bond fan after watching 50 per cent of the entire output.

I'd try to reduce that to no more than a third. Not saying the ones I leave out are worse than all of those I left in, but still. The idea is just to give an overview of how the franchise developed.

So my off-hand suggestion would be FRWL, GF, LALD, TSWLM, TLD, GE, CR and SF. Just for a start, of course.
    Let me try:

DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, TSWLM, OP, AVTAK, TLD, GE, and CR.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,687
    Eight? That's hard indeed...
    FRWL, GF, OHMSS, LALD, LTK, TND, CR, QOS
    There goes GE.

I love GE, but for a newbie TND hits all the Bond marks including the music. And all the Russian scenes played in English with 'Russian' accents seems silly these days IMHO. Like Eastwood's Firefox. Let a newbie come to love Bond before asking them to pardon the 'questionable' choices in presentation... ;)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    FRWL, GF, GE, CR are the only films to appear on every list, whether eight or 12, so far.

GoldenEye doesn't appear on my list.
    DN, FRWL, GF, OHMSS. TSWLM, TLD, GE, and CR
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Cheers! I'm back. At long last. :)
    Anyway, this is a very good topic for now. Thanks, Birdleson - and to all here.

I'll be changing the topic within a week; maybe this Sunday, depending upon if we are still chatting about this one. So either on Sunday or mid week next week. This is really good for now; thanks again.

Bond films I'd recommend for someone brand new to Bond would probably be:

Dr. No
    FRWL
    Goldfinger
    TSWLM
    FYEO
    TLD
    GE
    TND
    CR

I think that would be it for my recommendations. Carry on!
    It's good to be back, though at heart I never really left.
    It's good to be back, though at heart I never really left.
    QOS vibe to that one, 4Ev... ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Considerably, Chris. Considerably. ;)
  • Welcome back, 4Ever.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I really should participate in this thread more.

12 Bond films to offer a real overview of the series to a newb?
    Well, controversially I would leave FRWL off. I think a newb would need to be pulled in to the fun and excitement of Bond before being fed something as intimate and dark as FRWL.

DN, GF, YOLT, OHMSS, LALD,TSWLM, OP, TLD, GE, TND, CR, SF.

All actors represented and crucially all the films that include the majority of the most iconic and famous moments (I'm thinking DN, GF, YOLT, TSWLM and CR mostly).

i mean if someone can't get into Bond when faced with a hollowed out volcano with ninjas sliding down ropes, a 7 ft tall villain with metal teeth, Oddjob's hat, Connery in a tuxedo, Honey in a bikini and Craig in speedos - well, it simply ain't gonna happen.
  • I note that OP is starting to get some appreciation from the nominations on this list. When it first came out I was a little put off by seeing Bond in a gorilla suit and a clown costume. And doing the Tarzan yell. Now I am seeing this film move up in my own rankings. It's not quite in the top tier yet, but a strong mid-field contender.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 17,687
    OP was kinda like Glen's TSWLM with a little smaller budget and a slightly harder edge.
    I note that OP is starting to get some appreciation from the nominations on this list. When it first came out I was a little put off by seeing Bond in a gorilla suit and a clown costume. And doing the Tarzan yell. Now I am seeing this film move up in my own rankings. It's not quite in the top tier yet, but a strong mid-field contender.

Me too, I think, unlike other films, I watch the Bond movies so much I eventually get to a point where I no longer see the problemiatric parts. My mind just shuts them out.

That doesn't work for me with "Here's to us".....
  • Will everyone forgive me if I admit that I've never had a problem with the slide-whistle sound effect to that fabulous car stunt in TMWTGG?
    Will everyone forgive me if I admit that I've never had a problem with the slide-whistle sound effect to that fabulous car stunt in TMWTGG?

What slide whistle? Oh, THAT slide whistle... I guess it never bothered me much either. The stunt was too amazing.
    Will everyone forgive me if I admit that I've never had a problem with the slide-whistle sound effect to that fabulous car stunt in TMWTGG?

No.sorry ;)
    I note that OP is starting to get some appreciation from the nominations on this list. When it first came out I was a little put off by seeing Bond in a gorilla suit and a clown costume. And doing the Tarzan yell. Now I am seeing this film move up in my own rankings. It's not quite in the top tier yet, but a strong mid-field contender.

OP was the first cinematic Bond experience ,and it always has a special place with me.

ATM it sits nicely at #8 in my rankings.
    I don't need 8. I'll just go with DN, FRWL, GF, OHMSS and CR. If they don't don't like any of those 5 then they won't be interested in seeing any more.