SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2015 Posts: 12,459
    OK, I will be posting some opening titles, theme songs from some Bond films. Just randomly chosen, some of my favorites.

Meanwhile, and inbetween these postings, feel free to discuss anything about SPECTRE! Including, who of you are going to London for the premiere? :-bd (How I wish I could!)

Goldfinger

Yes, the 'Then and Now' thread is fantastic. Love reading everybody's recollections and comparisons. :)

I'm going to keep posting opening titles, theme songs. But do chime in, about SPECTRE, or anything Bond really ~ Cheers!

For Your Eyes Only

The Living Daylights

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Thank you both. When Skyfall came out I was virtually camped out in this thread.

I do hope that Santa Claus has received my list - all Bond related stuff, naturally. The "Bond by Design" book looks absolutely gorgeous.

The theme song thread is popular as ever, even with the new final Spectre trailer coming out. I've mellowed out a bit regrading my feeling towards Writing's on the Wall. Nice orchestration, hopefully Newman will included it in his soundtrack.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,693
    Always prefer it when the main theme is used throughout the scores. Also the new Omega watch is a nice nod to Goldfinger.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Does anyone know the name of the woman in the TLD opening titles ? I've never seen a credit for her.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,020
    @Mrcoggins

One of my favourite scenes! And you would never guess what's behind such a pretty face!

Belle Avery was born in 1960. Half French-half Cherokee Indian, she was raised in a migrant labor camp in the south. Originally known as Linda Collier, she used to work in front of the camera as a high fashion model in New York City for Revlon, Calvin Klein, Chanel, Halston, and others.

She was on a photo shoot in Germany when a company approached her to star in a film. She read the script and it was awful. They were delayed with the shoot due to snow, so for the next few days, she rewrote half of the script, then met with the film company and told them if the script were more like this, she would be interested. They read it and asked how quickly she could have the other half rewritten. Thus began her career in script rewriting and doctoring.

After years of being a ghost writer and script doctor, Belle was hired to adapt two important novels: In Search of Sugihara and Man's Fate. In Search of Sugihara is an adaptation of Professor Hillel Levin's novel about an elusive Japanese diplomat who risked his life to rescue 10,000 Jews during the Holocaust. The short won the Academy Award. Man's Fate is an adaptation of the famous André Malraux novel about human suffering during the Chinese Revolution.

In 2004, she wrote and produced The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam (2005), starring Vanessa Redgrave. The acclaimed film is about the life of the 11th-Century poet and mathematician Omar Khayyam. Belle Executive Produced Sidney Lumet's last film, Tödliche Entscheidung (2007). The film garnered critical acclaim and won many awards, including the coveted AFI award for best film, starred, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney and Marisa Tomei. She also Executive Produced 'My Sexiest Year (2007)', directed by Howard Himelstein, and Produced Grizzly Park (2008), a camp horror film set in the Tennessee and Virginia woods, written and directed by Tom Skull.

For more than twenty years, Belle has consulted for many companies in the entertainment industry, including IMAX, Vencom Systems in London, Maurebeni of Japan, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Capitol Group and a number of private banks. Collectively, Belle has consulted on films with a spend of over 1.2 billion.
    @BondJasonBond006, thanks for all the detailed info on Belle. This is the perfect thread for background info, factual triviia on Bond films (and novels). Do you have a photo of Belle? Because I'd like to post it here, if you do. Please let me know; thanks. :)

Yes, @royale65 and @delfloria, I definitely prefer the theme song to be woven into the score. Used judiciously, it adds a great element to a Bond film. That is one tradition that I hope is continued (and one of the very few things lacking in Skyfall). I immediately picked up that Sam's song would be good for the score. Hearing him singing it for the titles song has taken awhile to get used to. Only with the additional orchestration and video behind it does it really merge well. It should be just fine for the film, if not a standout, memorable song on its own. My concern was that it would be too disappointing, bland, or his voice too annoying, and if so it would take away the moment in the theater. But it won't be like that. The new video to the song shows that. Therefore, along with the titles design themselves, I think it will be a great beginning for SPECTRE.

As for the watch being a nod to Goldfinger, I need to figure that one out, @delfloria. I have not even looked at the new watch yet. But I will. :!! :D
    Belle Avery:

full.jpg
    Great! Thanks, @BondJasonBond006.

And I just realized: SirHenry would have appreciated the pic on the right, with her hair longer. ;)
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    (one of my favorite songs; you either love it or you don't, but I always have)

A View to A Kill

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @BondJasonBond2006 thanks for the info on Belle. Wouldn't have ever expected that.

@4Ever thinking of the tilte tracks and them beeing woven into their respective films, it would be nice to think about which ones were best incorporated. Off the top of my head I'd go for AVTAK and FRWL. But perhaps there are far better ones. Not for now, but later, after SPECTRE.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    @BondjasonBond2006 Thank you so very much most interesting to read about Belle .
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Belle Avery:

full.jpg

OUCH! She's hot...
    You are all very welcome.

Although I am too young to be on this thread I will tell you this:

The Living Daylights was a life-changing experience for me, I saw this at the cinema back in 1987 (I was born in 1974).
    This movie made me a Bond fan and the franchise became as important to me as DC Comics :) which at my age back then was quite an accomplishment for a movie I guess.

Belle appearing in the pre-title-sequence made a particular strong impression on me as you can imagine. I just really got interested in women back then and I have never forgotten her ever since seeing her in that black bathing suit.
    That sequence is one of my favourites of the whole franchise.
    Talk about romantic glorified memories :))

But seriously, I still think she's smoking hot, even with that gigantic phone in her hand :))
    were those things really that big back then? :P

Thanks for "listening". Yours, Jason.
    We appreciate you popping in here with the info @BondJasonBond006 . We do welcome factual tidbits, trivia from all Bond films. Oh yes, we do. :-bd (And the guys especially appreciate these photos!
    Goldeneye

You Only Live Twice

Cool! A really interesting BBC article on Sir William Samuel Stephenson, a Canadian who became a real life important part of the allied spy effort in WWII (with Churchill And Roosevelt) ... and possibly/probably influenced Fleming regarding his character of James Bond. He played a key role in the development of the CIA and founded Camp X, a commando-training base near Toronto where Fleming and hundreds of other Allied operatives learned their craft during the war. B-)

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20150901-canadas-real-life-james-bond
    Thunderball

From Russia With Love

• Thanks, @4EverBonded, for posting all these great theme songs, and for making sure that I was finally able to see Sam Smith’s video for Writing’s on the Wall. However, now that I HAVE seen WotW…color me unimpressed.

Maybe the song will grow on me after repeated listens, but my initial response is………….boredom. And I would suggest to you that boredom is the one emotion no Bond-related effort should EVER inspire. Smith… delivers… every… note… so… slowly… and… with… such… obvious… intent… to… wring…every… single… drop… of… pathos… possible… out… of… the… song… that… before… long… I was nearly shrieking at my computer screen: “Would you just speed it up, already?” By the time my initial viewing of the video was over, I found myself wishing for the technology of my childhood: a simple phonograph record, one that I could switch from 33 RPM to 78 RPM, so that I could speed the song up myself and render Smith’s voice into a semblance of that possessed by Alvin & the Chipmunks. And the next morning, I found myself imaging John Barry’s response were The Master to view this attempt at a Bond theme: “Well that’s just lovely, Sam. Really it is. But can we try something a little different now? Let’s try playing it twice as fast and see if we can avoid putting the audience to sleep. Can we try it that way? Okay then, everybody: Take 2, from the top…”
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs - very funny, and I agree. Dull and boring - hopefully the film won't be!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    You are all very welcome.

Although I am too young to be on this thread I will tell you this (...) Yours, Jason.

Don't worry, as long as you serve the o...riginals their preferred drinks in time they'll let us sit at the table as well. Oh, and we need to say sensible things, but as you've barged in with trivia none of them knew they might even poor you a drink ;-)

@Beatles, actually, that's a really good idea. The only thing I worry about is those high tones Sam sings. Speeding up those might result in all the dogs in the neighbourhood barking at once (at best) or barging in (at worst).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Smith… delivers… every… note… so… slowly… and… with… such… obvious… intent… to… wring…every… single… drop… of… pathos… possible… out… of… the… song… that… before… long… I was nearly shrieking at my computer screen: “Would you just speed it up, already?” By the time my initial viewing of the video was over, I found myself wishing for the technology of my childhood: a simple phonograph record, one that I could switch from 33 RPM to 78 RPM, so that I could speed the song up myself and render Smith’s voice into a semblance of that possessed by Alvin & the Chipmunks.

And back on track with ...
    The Man With The Golden Gun :)

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, I'm glad you finally got to listen to Sam singing the song, especially with the video (which, believe me, adds a lot to it; makes it far better) ... but your comment really had my head spinning. I get that he is annoyingly singing Each. Word. With. Dramatic. Effect. ... but he is already singing in a high voice - I fear he would definitely sound like Alvin Chipmunk if sped up. Which makes me shudder, frankly. I only want it sung in a lower key. Which we won't get. So let's just let it be submerged with orchestration and fantastic visuals; that's a good plan! :-bd

@Thunderfinger - that is hilarious! I have not listened to Sam at half speed because I'm at work (work does get in the way at times; it stops my more serious research far too frequently) ... but the fact that someone did that is brilliant. :) How would you know? Did you actually search online for "Writings On The Wall" at half speed? I am curious! The brilliant, twistedly creative mind of @Thunderfinger ... you didn't make that video, did you? >:)