SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I am not concerned about spoilers as I used to be. And I will see Bond #24 on on DVD, so I and going to come across every aspect of the film by then.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, that is interesting, MajorDSmythe. Why do you prefer to see it on DVD?
    I always want to see my favorite kind of films on the big screen.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Depends on what we consider a spoiler. I like to know the general plot say like "Bond investigates deaths of fellow agents". I sometimes like to know who the cast members are, who's returning and who's not. And I want to see pics of the Bond girls.
    Aside from that, I don't need any more info. Details can be left out as far as I'm concerned.

Back in the early days of us "originals" the Bonds were influenced by the source novel and we had a general idea of the plot, nowadays we don't have the titles to give away any plot points. I never knew what "Skyfall" actually was and I was fine with this.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Right with you @OHMSS69.
    I don't want to know much but inevitably will learn some things I'd rather not.
    A very general plot summary is sort of okay.

I don't want to know what blows up. Or when in the film.
    I don't want to know any plot twist for sure.

I don't mind knowing who is a villain, but I don't want the whole arc of the story's plot re Bond and villain to be revealed. I want to know the entire supporting cast.

Yes, it hinges on too much of the story being given away - that is what I want to avoid, in a nutshell.

For Skyfall, I avoided major details and was quite happy. Hoping for relatively good luck in doing the same for the months leading up to Bond 24.

You are right, we cannot guess characters or story development any more since most of Fleming has been used - in various ways, in bits and pieces.
    All I knew about SF was that "M's past would come back to haunt her"; "Mi6 is under attack". We knew Javier Bardem would be the central villain, and we knew who the women were but I had no idea that Eve was Moneypenny. There were some rumors floating around but I gave no credence to it. I must say, the producers handled the key points and surprise reveals (Naomi being Miss Moneypenny) quiet.

I prefer it this way in regards to Bond 24
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I don't like the current era, so I don't have that wish to see the film(s) as soon as possible on the big screen. I have made a list of films that I have seen on the big screen, and looking at it, I have not seen that many:

http://www.listal.com/list/walked-in

It will be a shame to break the tradition I have had since Tomorrow Never Dies, but I don't feel the need to rush to the cinema to see another Craig:Bond.
    Oh, that's right. I forgot you did not like Craig as Bond. I appreciate you answering my question, MajorD.

I don't get to the cinema often, but that will be changing in about 2 months after a new theater opens up that is far more convenient for me. I will still probably only see 3 or 4 films a year, but I'm really excited about the new theater.

I've seen all the Bond films since DAF in the theater first. :) Bond is definitely one of my favorites. I like to see action and epic films on the big screen, too - LOTR being my favorite example of really being worthwhile seeing in the theater.

Okay, folks, about one more day of talking about how we avoid (or don't avoid) spoilers for Bond films. It is not easy in today's media saturated world.

:)>-
    Onwards today, to a new topic. Thinking of villains recently, and that made me think of ... their demise.

Let's spend a few days discussing: Most Satisfying Deaths of Villains. B-)

As a Bond fan, which villain (and henchmen/henchwomen) deaths did you feel the most satisfaction with? Surely, that varies with the characters, and how well the stories are told.

For me, when I look at the overall series, here are some deaths that I find particularly satisfying - meaning the way it was done, the impact of the death, oh just the overall feeling of "yes!" when that character bit the dust:

1. Sanchez going up in flames after Dalton asks him, "Don't you want to know why?" The whole scene was superb, as was the build up (indeed the entire film was a build up to this). Great finish for that disgusting villain.

2. Largo getting the point, when Domino spears him on board his boat. Satisfying on several levels, certainly strongest because she fully deserved that revenge for her brother and herself. And it was a neat surprise that it was not Bond dispatching the main villain in this film.

3. Silva discovering to his surprise that he was not the last rat standing. It was so fitting, superbly acted all around, and very satisfying indeed.

4. Bond kicking Locque's car over the cliff after throwing the dove pin into the car. Moore may have been reluctant to do this, but he played it just right. I really enjoyed the touch of adding the dove pin as it helped signify the revenge for the killing of Ferrara (who was so likable).

Oh there are more. But that's enough to get us started.
    Please join us as we list our most satisfying villain deaths (including henchmen/henchwomen). (And yes, after just a couple of days we will switch to least satisfying deaths of villains in Bond films.)

Cheers! :>
    I was so pumped when Bond lit Sanchez's fire. This was such a satisfying climax to a movie that had me going.
    Vargas getting the point....
    Dario, Killifer, Heller all three of these evil doers deserved the horrid deaths like Sanchez.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Very good examples, and indeed Largo's is one of my favorites, but then again, I love that film a tad too much perhaps. Sanchez and Loque indeed got what the deserved, as did Greene. I love it his death is only mentioned, with oil in his lungs AND two bullits in his body, adding a bit more mistery. Zorin's plunge feels very good as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Drax. It is personal with him.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I rather like Whitaker's death because he was killed by a statue. :)) A stupid death for a stupid idiot.

Dr. No's was great, Goldfinger's...
    I have to say, Carver, Alec & Elektra got some pretty shocking ones. For all his so-called light-weightedness, Pierce's Bond was a cold bastard.
    Giving Necros the boot was a nice send-off.

But my fave is definitely Sanchez.
  • @4Ever certainly listed some of the best. But Oddjob's death is positively shocking, and Goldfinger's demise is certainly worth harping on. Perhaps the best one-two punch for villain deaths in Bond series history!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Why it's a classic.
    Thanks for chiming in with satisfying villain deaths. >:)

I was also happy with how Whitaker died. You got that right, @chrisisall. Stupid, annoying guy and an appropriately stupid death.

I'm glad you mentioned Greene, @CommanderRoss. He was so ... insipid, rather whiny, and annoying as well as evil and that was an appropriate way for him to die. I liked the two bullets touch, too. Somebody found him, and finished him off. After what he did to Fields I'm glad he had the experience of swallowing oil, too.

Wint and Kidd were also dispatched quite well, with good flair, in my opinion.

Ahhh ... and Red Grant. Great, memorable fight and so satisfying to have Bond finally kill him. "Sorry, old man." Satisfying movie in so many ways.

Enjoying your entries; thanks. Let's list a few more. :-bd

The thread's title should be changed any moment now ... :!!
    Thanks, @DarthDimi! :D You're such a helpful chap.
    Another quite satisfying villain death for me was in Goldeneye. Definitely.

A tense fight on the satellite, Bond and Trevelyan exchanging some quite memorable lines ("For England, James?" "No. For me.") - and this traitorous villain finally falls. Which should have knocked him senseless entirely, yet we see he is not quite dead yet, but then entire flaming satellite antennae falls on him, crushing him into oblivion finally. Very satisfying for me.

I was also happy when Gonzalez was killed by Melina's crossbow. It is easy to forget the effort she must have gone through just get to that moment - stalking him, tracking him, hiding herself carefully ... finally getting part of her revenge. She may have been quite proficient at using the crossbow, but Melina was not a spy, a martial artist, or a government agent. She was simply a loving daughter who was filled with sadness and rage; she was completely determined. That he was killed by one of her arrows is certainly satisfying.
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02045/bond17_81__2045055b.jpg

Any other really satisfying villain deaths in Bond films? Tomorrow I'll be jumping into the least satisfying villain deaths in Bond films. B-)

I don't like the current era, so I don't have that wish to see the film(s) as soon as possible on the big screen. I have made a list of films that I have seen on the big screen, and looking at it, I have not seen that many:

http://www.listal.com/list/walked-in

It will be a shame to break the tradition I have had since Tomorrow Never Dies, but I don't feel the need to rush to the cinema to see another Craig:Bond.

While I am not a great fan of the Craig era especially with EON not doing him any favors with the last two movies, a James Bond movie for me is a cinema outing. With the difference that I have not seen any of the last two 007 outings on the first evening possible. QoB after two weeks and SF three weeks into its release.

For me I always want to enjoy any 007 outing on the big screen, even if they repeat an oldie.

I agree with you, MajorDSmythe, that seeing a Bond film on the big screen is a must, really best. I'm still first in line over here, mind you. ;) Thanks for clarifying, though.

I'm very excited because our new movie theater will open in early Dec.! Only a 20 min. train ride and short (5 min.) walk away. Then it will be easy for me to see films in English (albeit whenever they are finally released here). :-bd
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Grant, Klebb, Necros and Professor Dent all had incredibly satisfying deaths but top of the pile has to be Dario. An evil, utterly despicable creature getting exactly what he deserves.

Kelifer WOULD have been in that list but his performance was hilarious. Sanchez was a cool villain who literally went out in a blaze of glory.
    Yes, Dario is a sick pscyho for sure. Glad to see him killed off.
    LTK had some truly sadistic villains, didn't it?
    It certainly did. .
  • I don't believe we've mentioned Dr. No yet. Dying in that pool of radioactive coolant because his metal hands couldn't grip the metal bars of the scaffolding...maybe it's not quite asphyxiation under a mountain of bird poop, but still, what a way to go!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't believe we've mentioned Dr. No yet. Dying in that pool of radioactive coolant because his metal hands couldn't grip the metal bars of the scaffolding...maybe it's not quite asphyxiation under a mountain of bird poop, but still, what a way to go!
    It indeed has the same feel to it. As indeed does Gonzales @4Ever. The thing is, Melina's crossbow killing is in my mind always counted out because the one in the short story stays very clear in my mind. It's such a tense moment in the book, it always stayed with me. no matter how extraordinarily well they film it, the book always wins (and they did their best indeed!)

I saw DN with one of my school chums, who thought that Dr No's death was so cool. I think that really made his day.

About Bond villain's deaths, anyone else notice how the villain rarely dies by the merciful bullet? Aside from Scaramana, the villains always (in most cases) die an extraordinary death.

• edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Who else died quickly? I can only really think of Klebb, Oromov and Orlov off the top of my head.

Oh and Whitaker.
    Being dropped down a chimney with your wheelchair must be the most extraordinary of all. :|
    The merciful bullet?
    Orlov, Klebb, Elektra, Scaramanga, Ouromov
    I think these are the only ones.

And yes, I think Killifer was rather funny but still a cool and satisfying death scene. I liked hearing him moan and when the shark gets him for good, his scream and then Sharkey's one liner.
    @OHMSS69 and Kaulfman.
    Klebb was not killed, though ... unless I am hallucinating a bit just now trying to remember it.

Xenia died relatively quickly, but that was not a satisfying death for me.
    Sophie died quickly - but that was satisfying.
    Ahh, Dr. Kaufman, yes that was quick. Maybe too quick. But satisfying. :)
    Klebb was shot by Tatiana. Unless I was hallucinating of course.