SirHenryLeeChaChing's For Original Fans - Favorite Moments In NTTD (spoilers)

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @OHMSS69
    I don't think anyone could have nailed the Stacy part. The problem was how the part was written. ;-)
    a better actress could have made made more of the role though...and worked as a believable romantic interest for Rog.

"they're extremely sensitive to sizemic activity"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Rosie (LALD) - Pam Grier or Nichelle Nichols (shameless just copying from Beatles and Dimi). Or Diahann Carroll (she can act). :)

I was the one whom suggested Pam Grier. ;) But I see the point made by @OHMSS69, Pam Grier might have been too big for the miniscule Rosie Carver role. Still though, I would have liked to have seen Pam Grier in a Bond film. If not LALD, then another 70's Bond film, as the primary Bond Girl.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oops, sorry for the mismention, @MajorDSmythe. I also understand about Pam being perhaps too big for a small Bond girl role, but she may have taken it just for fun, if she was a fan of the series. And I personally would have enjoyed her more in that role. And I definitely could have seen her as a primary Bond girl, yes.
    I think a better fit for the part of Rosie Carver would have been Vonetta McGee.
  • As I recall, Vonetta McGee was SirHenry's preferred choice for the role of Rosie Carver as well. SirHenry's vote oughtta count for SOMETHING around here...!
    People, people... B-)

TAMARA DOBSON!

There's your Rosie.

TamaraDobson4.jpg
    Tamara Dobson as Rosie? interesting choice. Of course Gloria Hedrey was active and known in several Blaxploitation films at the time. I must stand by my comment that the part of Rosie was just too small.
    Heres a question for my fellow Originals:
    In the book Solitaire was white, but in the original screenplay Mankiewicz had her written as a Black Haitian. (Rosie was white). The producers switched the ethinicity of the two Bond girls. Now we all love the heck out of Jane Seymour as Solitaire, but what if, say they had gone with a black actress for Solitaire who would you have preferred to see in that role?

Since we are using actressess past and present, then to capture the innocence and purity of Solitaire, I would say perhaps Vonetta McGee (past) or Nicole Beharie (present) as Solitaire.

Like @4EverBonded says, we all agree that Barbara Bach was a terrible choice. Perhaps Lois Chiles would have made a better Anya. She had originally auditioned for it.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Personally I think Seymour was one of the stronger elements of LALD. She felt like a frightened, trapped figure.
    Look, you can take away everything from LALD, EXCEPT Jane. This underrated beauty from the Bond girl queendom is IMO the epitome of elegance.

Jane_Seymour_2.jpg
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, I did remember that at one point Solitaire was written for a black actress.
    I would never trade out Seymour, but just as an interesting thought, which black actress would I choose for Solitaire? I think I'd go with Diahann Carroll honestly. I do not know anything about Vonetta McGee, so I can't say. SirHenry's vote would be for her, sure. But I'd say Diahann. Again, I think all of us (99%?) would never want anyone than Jane in that role. But for speculation, it is interesting.

I do want to clarify about Anya, @OHMSS69 - I really like Bach in the role a lot. She definitely has other fans, too. I was stating that I know many members do not like her in the role (though I don't think she is hated). But I am not a detractor. I like her in TSWLM just fine. :>
    But for me, looking at it the same way we are talking about Solitaire, knowing I would not trade her Anya, but just as speculation, then I would want Catherine Deneuve in the role. I have also read that she wanted it too (to play Anya), and was willing to reduce her salary a bit, but Cubby would not cut the salary enough for her to be given the role. What a gorgeous woman, who can really act, is Catherine Deneuve! She would have been a fantastic Bond girl - Solitaire or even Holly (I am lukewarm about Lois).

So, gents and ladies, this has been interesting. Let's continue for a bit. Please let us know your miscast Bond girls and your suggestions for replacement actresses.

Cheers!

And here is a look at Catherine, back in the 70's (I think):
    th?id=HN.608009430573844430&pid=15.1&P=0

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Diana Ross was the original name suggested for Solitaire.
    Yes, I remember now she was suggested. I would not have preferred her, though. Thanks for bringing that up. :)
    Diana Ross was coming off her rave reviews for "Lady Sings the Blues". IMO Diana Ross was just a little too "worldly" to capture the innocence and naivietta of Solitaire. I understand that even Yaphet Kotto thinks that Seymour was the right choice.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    a better actress could have made made more of the role though...and worked as a believable romantic interest for Rog.

"they're extremely sensitive to sizemic activity"

Which, just to say again, why I would have switched Fiona with Tanya. That would have improved it, even with the same script. :)

Okay, folks. That was fun! More thoughts on miscast Bond girls are still welcome. :)

Today we are segueing now into ... Best Bond Pairings (Bond + Female)
    Which will then be followed by Best Bond Pairings (Best Bond Buddies - male or female).

"Best" meaning the pairs you enjoyed the most overall, and yes you can list more than one. I'm not being strict. I'll start us off. And please note I am using categories - feel free to make up your own or just list without catgegories.

Best Bond Pairings (Bond + Female)

Sexual Chemistry - Sean's Bond with Fiona (villainess, but they really sizzled!), Pierce's Bond with Natalya, and Daniel's Bond with Vesper

Adversary - Pierce's Bond vs. Elektra (Xenia a very close second), Sean's Bond vs. Helga, Roger's Bond vs. Naomi, and (as mentioned above) Sean's Bond vs. Fiona

Romance (yes, a tad different from sexual chemistry) - Sean's Bond with Tania, George's Bond with Tracy, Roger's Bond with Melina, Timothy's Bond with Kara, Daniel's Bond with Vesper

Friends (no sex, no big romance, but friendly - yes) - Sean's Moneypenny of course, Daniel's Camille, and Daniel's Eve

I realize the last category is rather rare. ;)

Anyway, here we go: Please give us your favorite pairings of Bond with any female character throughout the series.

Cheers! :-bd
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sean's Bond with Fiona was too hot to handle.

Pierce's Bond vs. Elektra was... electric.

Timothy's Bond with Kara, Pierce's Bond with Wai Lin: so romantic.

And best friends was definitely Craig's Bond with Camille. Actually a beautiful relationship well executed & played.

Great topic!
    Some of my favorite pairings
    Bond and Tracy tops the lists
    Bond and Octopussy Rog had great chemistry with Maud Adams.
    Bond and Vesper strong sexual energy, tops
    Bond and Jill Masterson hot, sexual energy

Buddies
    Bond with Eve (SF)

Villianesses with steamy chemistry
    Bond and Fiona Volpe Domino may have been the main Bond girl but the sparks really flew with bad girl Fiona.
    Either way it's sliced, Lazenby's Bond and Rigg's Tracy is the best pairing for me, now and always. Just for romance, some of the others I liked include Bond + Melina, Bond + Natalya, and Bond + Vesper (close second to Bond/Tracy). The relationship between Bond and Camille is a very interesting one, considering Camille is supposedly QoS's main "Bond girl" yet their relationship isn't sexual. I liked that unique approach, though, honestly.
    Thanks for giving your choices, guys. :)

You know, I think all of us appreciate Sean's Bond's chemistry with Luciana's Volpe; they really do sizzle. media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/e1/01/25e101c8dac3496497987c185a8e450d.jpg

@chrisisall, you are right about Pierce's Bond and Sopie's Elektra; believable chemistry there.

And, @FoxRox and chrisisall, I also very much liked Camille being a friend, a comrade, an ally without becoming sexual involved with Bond. Because her own story was moving and a strong part of the film, I think it was appropriate.

I thoroughly enjoy Skyfall's pairing of Eve and Bond, too.

I almost listed Bond and Jill Masterson, @OHMSS69. Definitely strong chemistry there.
    I've always liked Roger's second pairing with Maud Adams. They worked so well together in OP! However, I also think Roger had good chemistry with Lois Chiles. I still think Sean had a great thing going with Ursula.

But folks, the very best on-screen chemistry in any Bond film has to be Timothy and Maryam d'Abo. They really experienced the adventure of TLD together, with many little moments of comedy. And just the final scene of TLD... Oh my, Barry's music when Kara enters the dressing room with the glasses of champagne is just pure heaven and when the two of them embrace, I feel genuine romance for perhaps the only time in the entire series. Shows how great these two actors were / are.
    Oh, Maryam and Timothy have such a lovely, realistic, and romantic time together! I love the humor, the charm, the subtleness of the developing romance, the exasperation, all of it - it seems real and is quite refreshing for a Bond film; I still feel that way. I love the final ending, one of the best (and most romantic) endings in a Bond film.

I remember in Bond Girls are Forever, Maryam saying how Timothy would feel frustrated with her at times during the filming - like when she could not steer the cello as desired; it kept careening to the right - and she thought it fit their characters well. :) There seems to have been good affection between them. They really worked so well together; I agree, @DarthDimi. An excellent pairing! (The photo below is not from the film, so I think I can show it, not just the link.)

behind-the-scenes-the-living-daylights-der-hauch-des-todes-1987-4.jpg
    Tim's doing 'the look'. She's trying not to meet his eyes to avoid melting...
    Pretty much, yes. 8-> I like that this is on the set. They certainly look more than comfortable with each other. Not to say sexual, but definitely respect and affection there (in my opinion). One of my favorite Bond pairs for sure.
    One of the things I like about their pairing is that it doesn't have to get sexed up at all. The fire is there, but really in their hearts and not just in their genitals.

That's why I think the pairing of Bond with Pam in LTK is bit of a let-down. They fall for each other much too fast and get busy straight away. Too fast, entirely loveless and overall slightly pointless too.
    TLD has the best unfolding of a romance, I agree.
    CR's is good, and important for Bond's own story, but I enjoy TLD the best. It is perfectly paced; quite not the norm. I rather treasure TLD for that alone.
    I rather treasure TLD for that alone.
    Me too.
    But... no romance lasts for Mr. Bond. Sadly.
    His fling (and yeah, that's the word I'd choose) with Pam was born of similar needs for instant gratification in the field. I appreciate & enjoy it as such, but TLD remains my favourite pairing in the romantic sense.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    One of the things I like about their pairing is that it doesn't have to get sexed up at all. The fire is there, but really in their hearts and not just in their genitals.

That's why I think the pairing of Bond with Pam in LTK is bit of a let-down. They fall for each other much too fast and get busy straight away. Too fast, entirely loveless and overall slightly pointless too.

I agree. As far as the scene on the boat in LTK after escaping the barroom brawl just seemed "phony". There was nothing but dislike and contempt the two characters felt for each other at this stage in the film.
    I guess the script called for it because Bond is supposed to be such a horn dog and they felt the audience expected it. This was a scene that did not fit Tim's Bond IMO. I for one could have done without it.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    There was nothing but dislike and contempt the two characters felt for each other at this stage in the film.
    That's called 'sexual tension', I believe.
    :))
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited September 2014 Posts: 2,629
    Sean - Tatiana
    George - Tracy
    Roger - Octopussy
    Timothy - Kara
    Pierce- Natalya
    Daniel - Vesper