American Bond Girls.

edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
I guess during the debate on Pam or Lupe, Getafix made a comment concerning American Bond girls. That got me to thinking and I am gonna have to grade them all. Feel free to agree or disagree and your thoughts.

JILL ST JOHN C+ (She fun early on but the script made her so ditsy later on. I might have graded her higher)
BARBARA BACH C (acting ability lacking)
LOIS CHILES D
TANYA ROBERTS D (good to look at)
CAREY LOWELL A They finally got it right
TERRI HATCHER F Lets hear it for stunt casting
DENISE RICHARDS F Way to go Babs!
HALLE BARRY F Babs and Mikey really outdid themselves this time. How low can they sink?

All in all lets face it the series have really sunk low when casting American actresses. Maybe they trying to be so "modern". I don't know.
Your thoughts?

Comments

Damn, I forgot about Barbara - it's that excellent 'Russian' accent that always catches me out. Barbara Bach is one of my favourite Bond girls, so in hindsight I have to revise my view of American Bond girls and say it's better if they're not playing Americans.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I honestly had no idea Barbara Bach was American (haven't seen her in anything else). She's my 3rd favourite Bond girl, and one of the reasons I rate TSWLM so high (it's my 4th or 5th favourite.

And Carey was amazing. My 2nd favourite Bond girl.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thank Fleming for Carey! One of my favorites, and the best American Bond girl, though the competition is light.
    Jill St. John: C+ (Like @OHMSS69 mentioned, she was great early on in DAF, but began to fall apart starting in the scene where she and Bond are enjoying themselves at the Whyte House)

Barbara Bach: D+ (Couldn't be convinced she was a Russian agent in the least! I also hated her "hard to get act", which like every other Bond girl, fails to last thankfully! Her looks are the only thing saving her from the scrap pile)

Lois Chiles: F (Terrible, just terrible)

Tanya Roberts: B+ (What can I say, she's gorgeous! And her acting wasn't horrible all the time, only sometimes)

Carey Lowell: A+ (Terrific, simply one of the best Bond girl after Natalya Simonova, in looks and competence; interestingly enough, I was listening to Aerosmith's "Draw the Line" while listening to this, and Steven sings of a girl named Carrie, hahaha.)

Teri Hatcher: F (Horrible acting and not quite the looker for a Bond girl)

Denise Richards: B- (Her incredible looks saves her from getting a low grade, and I thought she did an okay job in TWINE; there were some scenes where I was impressed)

Halle Berry: D (Some scenes were okay, but overall she stunk pretty bad)

I guess when Babs and Mikey resorted to the nadir of casting with the final three Brosnan films, did it occur to them to give these subpar actresses a screen test or see if they had chemistry with their star?

I rate Roberts low but I do find her a thrill to look at.

Terri Hatcher was hot on Clark and Lois but she looks tired, bored and used up in TND. anyone else agrees?

I should change Chiles' grade from a D to a big fat "F". At least Roberts, Berry and Richards were good to look at but Chiles is just a stick in the mud.
    I love Jill, Barbara, Lois and Carey. Tanya is OK. I dont hate her but the rest bleugh..
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @00Beast, you think Denise is good looking? Do I need to get my pictures of real women out again gents?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @00Beast, you think Denise is good looking? Do I need to get my pictures of real women out again gents?

Eva Green isn't good looking..... but Gemma Arterton sure is :x

My palpitating heart begs to differ. And why post such a statement where it doesn't belong? Neither are American, so why post that?

Eva is French
    Gemma is British (?)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,690
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Eva is French
    Gemma is British (?)

not all french women are attractive.... most, not all

OHMSS69 wrote:

Eva is French
    Gemma is British (?)

not all french women are attractive.... most, not all
    So? THIS ISN'T A THREAD FOR THIS, and you are ignoring the comments on why you posted this in this thread, where is has no place.
    Halle Berry was appalling, Denise Richards was horrendous and Tanya Roberts was horrible. Is that more on-topic ?
    Halle Berry was appalling, Denise Richards was horrendous and Tanya Roberts was horrible. Is that more on-topic ?

On topic and on the money.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,341

What are you talking about? I was only correcting your misstake calling Eva American which is what the thread was about AMERICAN BOND GIRLS.
    I mentioned the leading ladies who were American. You stay on point.

You got off topic by mentioning Eva Green and Gemma (not a leading lady)

Before you get your panties in a bunch take a chill pill.

OHMSS69 wrote:

What are you talking about? I was only correcting your misstake calling Eva American which is what the thread was about AMERICAN BOND GIRLS.
    I mentioned the leading ladies who were American. You stay on point.

He's referring to my post.

No, you don't need to, because I do find Denise Richards good looking! Her acting needs tremendous improvement in many scenes, but she knows how to wow the camera, that's for sure.
    00Beast wrote:

No, you don't need to, because I do find Denise Richards good looking! Her acting needs tremendous improvement in many scenes, but she knows how to wow the camera, that's for sure.

I don't see anything in her. She has a white t-shirt, and her body is simply sold, and is upfront. True sexiness in a woman is what we can't see, what she won't reveal to us, and only teases us with. That's what I miss.
    This country has produced a plethora of bad, i.e lame, banal and uninteresting, sometimes just damn annoying even, Bond girls if I really think about it, Richards, Roberts, Berry, Chiles, to name but a few but has redeemed itself with star attractions such as Bach, St John and Lowell, although the latter was on a lesser extent but still worth an inclusion, my favorite Bond girl (Seymour) was British however, and there have been many other nations that provided some entertainment such as Adams (Sweden), Paluzzi (Italy) and Andress (Switzerland), so all said, good Bond girls are good Bond girls wherever you find them, but by god, there has been some disasters along the way and no mistake
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I judge these characters by how much chemistry the actors had with their Bonds:

Jill St. John, Barbara Bach, Carey Lowell, and Teri Hatcher had chemistry with Bond. I don't think the others did, at all. Did Chiles, Roberts, Richards, and Berry even have screen tests with their Bonds?
    echo wrote:
    I judge these characters by how much chemistry the actors had with their Bonds:

Jill St. John, Barbara Bach, Carey Lowell, and Teri Hatcher had chemistry with Bond. I don't think the others did, at all. Did Chiles, Roberts, Richards, and Berry even have screen tests with their Bonds?
    Their is the factor than Jill and Sean were you-knowing-what-ing.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2012 Posts: 3,262
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    JILL ST JOHN C+ (She fun early on but the script made her so ditsy later on. I might have graded her higher)

Is that really a fair grade for her then? The problems you have with her character are the responsibility of Maibaum and Mankiewicz, not Miss St. John who I think does a terrific job and has a great onscreen chemistry with Connery. Check out her interview with Maryam d'Abo in this clip 4:08-7:30

Her attitude about being a Bond girl is also a reason she's one of my favorites.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Terri Hatcher was hot on Clark and Lois but she looks tired, bored and used up in TND. anyone else agrees?

So you liked her as Lois Lane, just not as Mrs. Carver then.

I liked her "Miss Goodbottom" fantasy as a Bond girl on L & C:

She's looking very Claudine Auger-ish there.

Also, LANA WOOD, LYNN-HOLLY JOHNSON, and TALISA SOTO are missing from your list.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837

I know you're not a big fan of Brosnans films, but cmon. She may be a sh*t actress but Richards is hot god damnit.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    @Prince Kamal Khan:
    Maybe I was a little harsh on Jill St John. she is good looking as heck and she had chemistry with Sean and some good lines ("Go blow up your pants", "Keep tooting that honker you're gonna get a shot in the mouth")

I wanted to stick to the leading lady Bond girls not the supporting cast, thus why I left the ones you mentioned from my grading list. :)

I thought Hatcher was so cute and sexy on Lois and Clark but she just fell flat in TND. If you stood her next to Richards and Barry (the other two loosers in Brosnan films) she looks sick next to them.
    Even on Desperate Housewives she pales next to some of the other women on that show. (I said some not all)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,425
    I don't dislike Teri Hatcher per se, but I do think she was miscast in TND. I believe there had been talk of casting Monica Belluci in that role, which would have been great to see and would have cemented TND as Brozza's finest hour.

Does Kim Bassinger merit a mention in this list? I for one think she did a decent job in NSNA, or is that heresy? I know some of the old codgers round here would have me strung up for just mentioning the movie...
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited June 2012 Posts: 2,635
    Aww, can't hold you guys saying Teri was bad. She acted Great. She was not tired, she was Sexy. It's quite different.

YES, she is sexy, imo. At least in '97 she was. Nowadays, she's just a good women to be married with and having 2 kids. ( :)) )

I know you're not a big fan of Brosnans films, but cmon. She may be a sh*t actress but Richards is hot god damnit.

No. She is an unnatural and pitiful excuse for a woman.
    I must say I love Lana and Plenty, one of the only good things about DAF. Don't know how I could forget her.
    I always thought Denise was rather good looking. But an awful actress and Bond girl.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2012 Posts: 5,958
    Also, LANA WOOD, LYNN-HOLLY JOHNSON, and TALISA SOTO are missing from your list.

And the list gets worse...

Hatcher at least brought a maturity and world-weariness that was a good complement to Brosnan's Bond.