Bond & Moneypenny Relationship

X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
edited May 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,635
Do you think that someday, Bond & Moneypenny could have a serious relationship or it should never change the state? I really think that they could work even for a little time. But, I would like to hear more opinions. You guys think they could date a while?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No. The flirting between those two characters has been a staple of the series. To give in and have them engage in a serious relationship would be against Bond's character, especially during Craig's tenure, where he's just learned to remove his heart from the equation.
    maybe to close to home, i have a rule not to get involved with women i work with for good reason. think there character are too well established in canon. don't think i could except them being involved would not feel right for me.
    p.s. hated the virtual scene from DAD When moneypenny got it on with... well fresh air lol
    That scene in TWINE (think it was TWINE), where Moneypenny snogged PB in the hologram training similator was bad enough. Let's leave it there.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Getafix wrote:
    That scene in TWINE (think it was TWINE), where Moneypenny snogged PB in the hologram training similator was bad enough. Let's leave it there.

It was in DAD. in TWINE he made sex with the MI6 Doctor. (well I guess she's the MI-6 doctor, yes)

But i agree, that scene was bad. Should get retired..
    The essence of the Bond-Moneypenny was shown in OHMSS when they communicated without words at Bond & Tracy's wedding. Sheer poetry.
    They shouldn't IMHO. When i saw the scene in DAD which turned out to be a VR gag. As silly as is sounds? It just didn't feel right to me. Keep the flirty relationship instead which is far more entertaining.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The whole fun of Bond and MP is the "will they, won't they", and though we want to see it, it really shouldn't happen, and wouldn't work out if it did. The great Connery-Maxwell flirtation is much better, and Sir Sean did it best.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    The essence of the Bond-Moneypenny was shown in OHMSS when they communicated without words at Bond & Tracy's wedding. Sheer poetry.
    Well said. I see their relationship as something that both parties know can't go any further then innocent flirting.

I dont' think it should change either. That will they/won't they is exactly what generates the fun.

However, I'm gonna go against the opinions of some of the people here and say that the scene in DAD was actually a good one. And I say that because it fits the tone of the film. After the ludicrous, anything goes, last hour of that movie, the whole thing seems just a tad plausible. In fact, when I saw it in theatres, I actually thought it was really happening before the gag was revealed. And I didn't mind it so much simply because of all that 40th anniversary stuff. In fact, being that it was Brosnan's swan song, and essentially, the end of the first timeline, I say why not?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I dont' think it should change either. That will they/won't they is exactly what generates the fun.

However, I'm gonna go against the opinions of some of the people here and say that the scene in DAD was actually a good one. And I say that because it fits the tone of the film. After the ludicrous, anything goes, last hour of that movie, the whole thing seems just a tad plausible. In fact, when I saw it in theatres, I actually thought it was really happening before the gag was revealed. And I didn't mind it so much simply because of all that 40th anniversary stuff. In fact, being that it was Brosnan's swan song, and essentially, the end of the first timeline, I say why not?

I don't love DAD, but I agree with you. And I'll take it a step further. If the end of the movie--and of that timeline--had been Bond ending up with Moneypenny in reality, I would have been okay with that.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 546
    The scene between Bond & Moneypenny in DAD is my favourite. Bond & Moneypenny would always flirt with one another in all the Bond films. And the passion really came full circle in DAD.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 5,921
    I wish the Bond/Moneypenny scene was the last one in DAD, especially without the VR. It would have been a decent end to that timeline.
  • TOFANA007TOFANA007 Banned
    maybe next movie Mendez can have Monypeny marry Bond.. why not.. a married couple can still flirt.
    lets make things fresh
    Just keep up the flirty cheeky banter between them! That works for me!
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Reviving this thread, just wondering what the relationship between Bond and Moneypenny would looked like in Bond 26, would it be on a full circle, like taking her on a date?

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Moneypenny and Bond banter in the Craig Era, it's not interesting, nor do I feel the sweetness between the two of them, it's like they're trying too hard to be sexy and hot, but it's not there.

Whereas in the classic films, rewatching those Bond and Moneypenny scenes makes me giggle and I feel it, there's a certain sweetness and chemistry in their banter that makes you feel for the flirting, there's this romantic excitement, something that I couldn't feel in the Craig Era, I'm sure there's at least a chemistry between Craig and Harris, but the sweetness just isn't there.

So, I wish they bring back that romantic sweetness between Bond and Moneypenny, maybe have Bond ask her for a date, then something bad happened? I've read a scenario like that in Dynamite comics, in Reflections Of Death where Bond and Moneypenny had a night bonding together but it leads to her kidnapping.

What you guys think?

I think over the course of Bond 26-30, Moneypenny should become the new Vesper/Tracy.
  • MI6HQ wrote: »
    Reviving this thread, just wondering what the relationship between Bond and Moneypenny would looked like in Bond 26, would it be on a full circle, like taking her on a date?

I don't remember who, but someone suggested that Moneypenny could be older than Bond for once, thus changing the dynamic. If Eon goes for a younger Bond (early 30s), it would definitively be an interesting and maybe the best direction to take, in my opinion.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I see the new timeline (which is obviously necessary to even go on with the franchise) as an opportunity to re-think much of what went before.

Lois Maxwell was great and will forever be the epitome of Moneypenny, but unless we get back to filming Bond as period pieces from the 50s and 60s (which I might even like), there should be no room for depicting her as a sort of spinster continually yearning to have a date with James. It was justified that Lois' tenure ended along with that of Roger Moore, who was the same age. It's lovely in real life if sexagenarians crave each other (I'm in my mid-sixties, so I know... oh, wait, my wife is still in her fifties for a few months, but still!), but I can see why this is not the relationship the movie-going crowd is likely to be crazy about.

I think that Samantha Bond was a step forward in that regard (in spite of the VR mess in DAD, which was sort of funny but detrimental to the character). And Naomie Harris also was a fresh start, whatever one thinks of her trying to be a field agent in the beginning.

That being said, and apologies to the great actors and other creative minds during the Craig era, the entire series should start from scratch with new actors, screenwriters and directors, and while it should keep Fleming's characters in principle, their relationship may (and ought to) be quite a different one from that of the 1960s/1970s' movies, and even more so from the novels.

@echo:
    I think over the course of Bond 26-30, Moneypenny should become the new Vesper/Tracy.

Do you mean to say she should become his love interest and get killed in that capacity, or just either of the two?
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Well said. I see their relationship as something that both parties know can't go any further then innocent flirting.

When they did that whole post-death scene in M's office in NTTD, I thought about the OHMSS scene where she's crying. You really felt for Moneypenny then. And here's a scene after he died and you feel nothing for her, because her character, and their relationship had changed. To have her crying then would have made her look weak I suppose. It's not the way you portray women these days.
    Moneypenny in the field, with a gun, that's the deal now.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I see the new timeline (which is obviously necessary to even go on with the franchise) as an opportunity to re-think much of what went before.

Lois Maxwell was great and will forever be the epitome of Moneypenny, but unless we get back to filming Bond as period pieces from the 50s and 60s (which I might even like), there should be no room for depicting her as a sort of spinster continually yearning to have a date with James. It was justified that Lois' tenure ended along with that of Roger Moore, who was the same age. It's lovely in real life if sexagenarians crave each other (I'm in my mid-sixties, so I know... oh, wait, my wife is still in her fifties for a few months, but still!), but I can see why this is not the relationship the movie-going crowd is likely to be crazy about.

I think that Samantha Bond was a step forward in that regard (in spite of the VR mess in DAD, which was sort of funny but detrimental to the character). And Naomie Harris also was a fresh start, whatever one thinks of her trying to be a field agent in the beginning.

That being said, and apologies to the great actors and other creative minds during the Craig era, the entire series should start from scratch with new actors, screenwriters and directors, and while it should keep Fleming's characters in principle, their relationship may (and ought to) be quite a different one from that of the 1960s/1970s' movies, and even more so from the novels.

@echo:

Do you mean to say she should become his love interest and get killed in that capacity, or just either of the two?

A little of both would be ideal.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    echo wrote: »
    A little of both would be ideal.
    So, just good friends, but sort of disabled by an accident? (SCNR)