Duncan Jones to helm Ian Fleming biopic

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited May 2012 in News Posts: 1,380

Comments

Geoffrey Rush as Fleming. You know it makes sense
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If they show his later life as well as his army days, who's going to play Sean Connery?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Exciting news! Duncan Jones is an amazing director, I'm sure he'll do something great. In a side note Duncan is looking more and more like his old man these days.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Looking forward to this! Excellent news.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    This reminds me of the Fleming film which never happened from a few years ago. I hope this one works out.

A good year of release too. 60 years since the first Bond novel.
    If they show his later life as well as his army days, who's going to play Sean Connery?

Michael Fassbender?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I can't believe this thread is so quiet?

Unlike the last time a Fleming biopic was floated in 2008, this one is funded *and* has Fleming estate backing. So it's on...
    Skyfall gets an Oscar this year, Fleming the next?

*gushes*
  • oo7oo7
    I was not aware fleming had an ongoing estate?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    oo7 wrote:
    I was not aware fleming had an ongoing estate?

Hell yeah! All the book and movie residuals go somewhere. Every time a film says "Ian Fleming's James Bond," the estate gets money.
    I want Fassbender to play a young Fleming.

michael-fassbender-magneto.jpg

IanFleming.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hmmm. Maybe. I still don't see Fassbender as Bond, though.
    Fassbender as young Fleming? Yes, please. As Bond? No, thank you :)
    I really enjoyed Moon and Source Code so great choice in Duncan Jones. Will be following this one closely
    So, we already have a young Fleming and an old Fleming. Any other suggestions for a dream casting? Has anyone read the book in which the script is based?
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Tom Hiddleston
    You heard it here first ;)
    Just reading Ian Fleming's Commandos at the moment.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Getafix wrote:
    Just reading Ian Fleming's Commandos at the moment.

How is it?

It's on my wish/hitlist.

Samuel001 wrote:

Who should take the helm fellow agents?

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Do we really need another Fleming biopic?

Ok the guy had a pretty interesting life but we've had Goldeneye, Spymaker, one starring Ben Daniels the title of which escapes me and now we've got a mini series and a film to come.
    I don't think people such as Lenin, Hitler, JFK and Mandela have this many biopics. Someone more cynical than me might say that it's just IFP wringing every last penny possible out of Ian's corpse as EON gets the lions share of Bond film profits so with the literary Bond dying on its arse they need to explore other revenue streams to keep their snouts in the trough.

I wouldn't mind if they covered any fresh ground buts it's always the same heavy on artistic licence commando exploits jazzed up with a load of action that probably never happened to make Fleming appear more Bond like and perpetuate this myth that they were identical.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,787

Ok the guy had a pretty interesting life but we've had Goldeneye, Spymaker, one starring Ben Daniels the title of which escapes me and now we've got a mini series and a film to come.
    I don't think people such as Lenin, Hitler, JFK and Mandela have this many biopics. Someone more cynical than me might say that it's just IFP wringing every last penny possible out of Ian's corpse as EON gets the lions share of Bond film profits so with the literary Bond dying on its arse they need to explore other revenue streams to keep their snouts in the trough.

I wouldn't mind if they covered any fresh ground buts it's always the same heavy on artistic licence commando exploits jazzed up with a load of action that probably never happened to make Fleming appear more Bond like and perpetuate this myth that they were identical.

As Alan Partridge might well say, "Abso-bloody-exactly!", @TheWizardOfIce!

Well put.

My interest in this was the fact that it was to be based Andrew Lycett's sublime biography.

I suppose it's a bit like waiting for one of the movies to do justice to one of the books.

Still waiting for the most part.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Looking forward to this film. I have the Lycett Fleming biography that this film will be based on. Maybe I should read it again. Great book.

Aside for 'Spymaker' (a very jazzed up Bondsque version of the author's life) which I have on good ol' VHS, I've never seen any other Fleming bio pics/mini series or whatever. What ones are there exactly?
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 38
    Dramas:

-Goldeneye (1989) starring Charles Dance,
    -Spymaker, The Secret Life of Ian Fleming (1990, released 1993) starring Jason Connery,
    -Age of Heroes (2011) starring James D'Arcy
    -Fleming (2014, miniseries) starring Dominic Cooper

Documentaries with re-enactments:

-Wall to Wall: Ian Fleming: Bondmaker
    -Ian Fleming: Where Bond Began (2008) Jonathan Pryce narrates as Fleming
    -James Bond The True Story (2008) starring Jonathan Edwards (possibly, it's not specified who played whom)

There may be more.

I agree with The Wizard of Ice. It's a story that has been told. And he has two biographies, officially, and several more as chapters in other books. We don't need another one unless it's an all nude musical version with CGI unicorns. It won't tell us anything new... and if it does, it's because they made it up!
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598
    Dramas:

-Spymaker, The Secret Life of Ian Fleming (1990, released 1993) starring Jason Connery,

-James Bond The True Story (2008) starring Jonathan Edwards (possibly, it's not specified who played whom)

There may be more.

I agree with The Wizard of Ice. It's a story that has been told. And he has two biographies, officially, and several more as chapters in other books. We don't need another one unless it's an all nude musical version with CGI unicorns. It won't tell us anything new... and if it does, it's because they made it up!

Damn, lots of them. Thanks. Presuming you've seen them, which film would you say is the best?

I had no idea that there was another film called 'Goldeneye'.
    Dramas:

There may be more.

You can watch the entire episode of The Real Story - James Bond by The Smithsonian Channel here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwfo5r_the-real-story-james-bond-full-episode_shortfilms

Is this the same as 'James Bond The True Story (2008) starring Jonathan Edwards' you mentioned?