"Together they're dynamite!": The Persuaders! Appreciation Thread

JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
edited May 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 512
amicalement-votre-1.jpg?fx=r_550_550

It surprises me there's no thread about my favourite tv-series ever! The swinging 70's action-packed buddy-comedy-adventure starring Curtis + Moore.
Great plotlines, wonderful music(John Barry!), great chemistry between the two leading men, the seventies look all over(cars, sets, clothing). Lots of connections with the Bondmovies.
The Blu-Ray by Network is OUTSTANDING! Great quality!

My favourite episode is 'Someone like me', Roger Moore's best acting performance ever(alongside The Man Who Haunted Himself)!!
What are you're thoughts about this series?

xx

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    An amazing tv series - and Sir Rog is absolutly incredible in it ! :)
  • Love both the Persuaders and the Saint, great TV shows.

I wish more people here appreciated "It Takes A Thief" but it seems not.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Love both the Persuaders and the Saint, great TV shows.

I wish more people here appreciated "It Takes A Thief" but it seems not.

I like the Saint too, but The Persuaders! is better. It has Tony Curtis, who is a real comedian!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sir Rog was also phenomenal in 'Ivanhoe' - a tv show that featured Robert Brown !!
    Love this show. If only there had been a second series. Moore Sinclair less Bond (Sorry Dalton).

JWPepper wrote:
    wonderful music(John Barry!)

Love the theme song:

<url>

watched persuaders as a kid, loved the show and john Barrys theme was memorable. would be great to revisit the show.
    No idea if i saw all the episodes but i certainly loved them! Brilliant show and i loved the chemistry between Moore and Curtis!
    JWPepper wrote:
    It surprises me there's no thread about my favourite tv-series ever! The swinging 70's action-packed buddy-comedy-adventure starring Curtis + Moore.
    Great plotlines, wonderful music(John Barry!), great chemistry between the two leading men, the seventies look all over(cars, sets, clothing). Lots of connections with the Bondmovies.

My favourite episode is 'Someone like me', Roger Moore's best acting performance ever(alongside The Man Who Haunted Himself)!!

xx

Man who haunted himself, brilliant film, one of RM's best, I keep promising myself The Persuaders, its on my dvd list, as I collect boxsets from this era anyway.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 512
    holothane wrote:
    JWPepper wrote:

xx

Man who haunted himself, brilliant film, one of RM's best, I keep promising myself The Persuaders, its on my dvd list, as I collect boxsets from this era anyway.
    watched persuaders as a kid, loved the show and john Barrys theme was memorable. would be great to revisit the show.

If you still haven't got the series, buy it on Blu-Ray, absolutelty astonishing videoquality!! It makes the series even better!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,699
    This thread is in dire need of some decent Persuaders! imagery, so let's put that right straightaway, shall we...? :)

6086.jpg

celebrity-image-the-persuaders-2278821.jpg

tumblr_lzk878OfZV1r65of0o1_500.jpg

the-persuaders.jpg

tumblr_lma99pfIbC1qbhrjg.png

the-persuaders.jpg

3_1336037263_Screen%20shot%202012-05-03%20at%2010.18.59.png

177305.jpg

0000150610.jpg

the-persuaders.jpg

persuaders2.jpg

Ah, that feels better!

Oh, and hope you don't mind, @JWPepper, but I couldn't stop myself from amending/ enhancing the thread title. ;) If you do, just change it back, matey...
    Love The Saint , love The Persuaders. Own both on dvd. Can't decide which is better. But Moore + Curtis is a lovable duo. Great main score from John Barry.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 512
    [/url]
    St_George wrote:

Oh, and hope you don't mind, @JWPepper, but I couldn't stop myself from amending/ enhancing the thread title. ;) If you do, just change it back, matey...

No probs, it's much better this way!

The Persuaders in HD: http://www.youtube.com/embed/eS90FYxM4LA

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Good stuff, @JWPepper, and clip-and-a-half there, of course.
    SharkBait wrote:
    Love The Saint , love The Persuaders. Own both on dvd. Can't decide which is better. But Moore + Curtis is a lovable duo. Great main score from John Barry.

For those reasons most of all perhaps, I prefer The Persuaders! over The Saint. It's such a romp - early '70s ebullience at its best. Camp, colourful, cool and classic in its own inimitable way... :)

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Love the Persuaders and The Saint. AND I do remember enjoying immensely It Takes a Thief with Robert Wagner.
  • Love the Persuaders and The Saint. AND I do remember enjoying immensely It Takes a Thief with Robert Wagner.

You're awesome 4Ever :D
  • JRRJRR
    A few years back Sky were re-running the well known TV series "The Persuaders", I caught a few of them quite early on Saturday mornings, missed some, then decided to purchase and watch the box set. I enjoyed the series and thought if you can steel yourself away from the present and relax into a 70's theme then this is good entertainment in the true Roger Moore and Tony Curtis style.

This could be an interesting thread to see what others make of this; The Saint as continually discussed is still popular, it was superb during its time and even today keeps your attention, if you like to escape from the modern for a while, I feel that The Persuaders may be worth another look just for the sheer audacious cheek of it.
  • JRRJRR
    edited April 2013 Posts: 74

JRR wrote:
    JWPepper wrote:
    amicalement-votre-1.jpg?fx=r_550_550

I watched The Man Who Haunted Himself a good few years back, then I happened to pick it on Sky a second time around, this film really does question the personality of a man trying so hard to be all the right things to the right people and then suffering the effect of all those suppressed desires to live fast and take up the opportunity of living the high life with an almost James Bond style alter ego.

I would imagine Ian Fleming was consumed by similar emotions and at times they have been elaborated and developed to build the body of the James Bonds character.

Bond in the limitless bounds of fiction, on the other hand shows no signs of restraint as a man living without commitments that would potentially harm loved ones, his character dictates, it would be foolhardy to make any, his life can then remain the very unpredictable journey we all slightly envy from a safe distance.
    I've been watching this on 'True Entertainment ' channel (well recording it and watching it) and i know that its spoofy entertainment ,but i find ,and this could be my age now,that its too spoofy and lightweight,especially Tony Curtis.

He is playing it like a 'cheque is in the post' contract.

I know the show had a lot of behind the scenes problems and i love the feel of it ,but its not appealing to me as much as The Saint,The Prisoner,The Professionals are.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Still love it, :) some great comedy moments throughout it.
    Actually i am watching the episode 'Alfie..Alfie' at the moment and i stand corrected,Tony Curtis is in a bad place in this one (well not Tony but Danny)...
    Is that the one his childhood friend , has a dark secret ? .
    Thats it..spot on...
    I remember in an interview Sir Roger said Curtis kept his gloves on to hide the
    Signs of his cannabis smoking, and many scenes Sir Roger had to almost ad-lib
    Lines around what Curtis could manage to remember ! ;)
    Wow i didnt know that...it makes sense..Sir Roger is definately the more serious one..and i love the fact that Danny cant even hardly move from the hotel being drugged and has to put his face in a garden sprinkler,but can then suddenly drive his sports car with perfection..
    :D all it takes is a sprinkle of water.
    I have a lot of affection for both this and The Saint. As I grew up watching them.
    ITV used to show them in the afternoons, so perfect for after school viewing.
    So was Curtis actually an addict ?
    Curtis was so an addict, I think they were so worried, as he seemed to always have
    So much on him, that he might have been deported if caught, so destroying the series.
    Yet he was very anti smoking.
    Oh and i meant to say ,i love that Judge Naismith is Sir Donald in DAF with Connery...all linked.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Curtis was so an addict, I think they were so worried, as he seemed to always have
    So much on him, that he might have been deported if caught, so destroying the series.
    Yet he was very anti smoking.

Interesting...does it stain his hands,is that why he wears the gloves sometimes,staining ?
    He's not wearing them too often in this episode..intriguing.