Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I wish that I could join in with celebrating the gaming industry as it is today, but I don't care for where it is, and where it is going. If Sony made a stripped back PS4, did didn't have any of what I think of as surplus functions like online/streaming/online trophies etc... i'd buy it. The more that I see of all that, the less I want to move on to current gen consoles.

You can buy a PS4 now for a price that equates to a steal for the hardware you'd get, and you don't have to touch any online or download any of it. I will say, though, despite PS Plus being a paid service in this generation, the crazy deals there are at every major holiday of up to 70 to 80% off major titles and the little sales in between for all sorts of games isn't something to miss out on. It's been great for me; I can wait out games I'm not that sad to miss and pick them up for dirt cheap around the holiday.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I wish that I could join in with celebrating the gaming industry as it is today, but I don't care for where it is, and where it is going. If Sony made a stripped back PS4, did didn't have any of what I think of as surplus functions like online/streaming/online trophies etc... i'd buy it. The more that I see of all that, the less I want to move on to current gen consoles.

You can buy a PS4 now for a price that equates to a steal for the hardware you'd get, and you don't have to touch any online or download any of it. I will say, though, despite PS Plus being a paid service in this generation, the crazy deals there are at every major holiday of up to 70 to 80% off major titles and the little sales in between for all sorts of games isn't something to miss out on. It's been great for me; I can wait out games I'm not that sad to miss and pick them up for dirt cheap around the holiday.

It's not just the console, but the online aspect of modern gaming in general. Not every games gets a GOTY style all DLC on disc style release. Sure, there are PS4 games that I would like to play (Uncharted 4, Hitman, as well as the up and comming Friday The 13th games).

And don't get me started on online multiplayer trophies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

It's not just the console, but the online aspect of modern gaming in general. Not every games gets a GOTY style all DLC on disc style release. Sure, there are PS4 games that I would like to play (Uncharted 4, Hitman, as well as the up and comming Friday The 13th games).

And don't get me started on online multiplayer trophies.

Most DLC isn't worth buying in the first place, honestly. And the multiplayer trophy issue is only a problem for people who are collector-hounds and need to get every trophy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm going to confess to being a bit of a trophy hunter. When I come across a game, one of my first thoughts is how much of the trophies could I achieve (how much can be obtained offline).
    I'm going to confess to being a bit of a trophy hunter. When I come across a game, one of my first thoughts is how much of the trophies could I achieve (how much can be obtained offline).

I can be like that too, but only for games that are worth my time and effort in pursuing trophies. There's an inherent desire in humans to feel the accomplishment of a goal, and I think trophy collection represents a modern version of that.

I also concede that it is utter bull that you have to play the multiplayer for many big titles just to get all the trophies and the platinum. Ubisoft are particularly guilty of this, and on games like Black Flag they require you to reach rank 50 in the multiplayer just for one trophy. Screw that, I say.
  • RC7RC7
    Out of interest, did anyone else buy a Switch?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I stay away from multiplayer trophies unless I happen upon them by accident. Multiplayer should be optional, considering a lot of the bullsh*t you have to deal with.

Friend of mine got one. Nice little piece of hardware, really.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 40,468
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm the same way. I tend to go for as many trophies per game as I can. Unlocked my 16th or 17th Platinum Trophy the other day with 'Battlefield 1,' which sadly contained some online (yet very straightforward) trophies.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I have three platinums and no regrets that I don’t have more.
    I platinum every game that doesn't block me from doing so with online stuff.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I also concede that it is utter bull that you have to play the multiplayer for many big titles just to get all the trophies and the platinum. Ubisoft are particularly guilty of this, and on games like Black Flag they require you to reach rank 50 in the multiplayer just for one trophy. Screw that, I say.

Black Flag is my favourite of the AC series, but that brings me to another gripe I have, multiplayer, or rather games that don't need a multiplayer, but get one anyway. The single player campaign was long enough, so it didn't need to be supported by a miltiplayer campaign.

So far, on my current play through of my PS3 library, I don't have any platinums, but I have only been playing two games, Skyrim & Sniper Elite V2.
  • Just completed Agent Under Fire again. I think it may as well be my favorite Bond game!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just completed Agent Under Fire again. I think it may as well be my favorite Bond game!
    It's on par with Nightfire for me being the all-time favourite.
    Just completed Agent Under Fire again. I think it may as well be my favorite Bond game!

Agent Under Fire sure does bring memories. Would play that after school with friends back in 2nd-4th grade. I especially liked the Romanian Embassy level.

I was always more of a Nightfire fan, though, when comparing the two. What do you like more about AUF compared to NF?
  • Just completed Agent Under Fire again. I think it may as well be my favorite Bond game!

Agent Under Fire sure does bring memories. Would play that after school with friends back in 2nd-4th grade. I especially liked the Romanian Embassy level.

I was always more of a Nightfire fan, though, when comparing the two. What do you like more about AUF compared to NF?

I think that it has more replay value. The lack of the cinematic Bond elements does somewhat bother me, but I think it has a pretty good story, some memorable levels, and the ability to be behind the wheel of the BMW, DB5, and Lotus Esprit. If I was be objective, then NightFire is the better game, but I just personally love AUF.
    The driving levels were pretty great in AUF. Fave driving level was Streets of Budapest. The DB5's machine guns sounded perfect - just the right "crack" to it, and good rate of fire. Soundtrack for the game was pretty great.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Out of interest, did anyone else buy a Switch?

@RC7 I considered it but, already having a Wii U and an Xbox One, I couldn't justify it to myself. Maybe at some point down the line.

I did pick up the Wii U version of the new Zelda though, and it's already one of my favourite games of all time. If the voice acting was less grating and we hadn't seen the story so many times before (although at the end of the day that is sort of the point and it's pretty much timeless) it'd be my favourite.
    The only thing I hate about AUF is that the shooting feels like you're shooting ping pong balls rather than actual bullets, especially using that sub-machine gun.

Still hoping for a new Bond game, a port on Switch or a remaster of the older games.
    More like paintball, @Gummy. :))

I don't think the older ones will ever be touched. They're like in a different department of video games that aren't video games if you know what I mean. Not marketable due to their being "tie-in" products rather than having a stronghold of their own. Sadly, each video game sinks with its own publisher when it comes to Bond. The industry isn't expanded that much, sad to say.
    What saddens me is it's now nearly 5 years since the last bond game... this is near maddening to be bluntly honest the Bond video games if done well would be a licence to print money I would Argue WB likely makes more money off of Batman video games/ action figures/ merchandise More then the films... but here we sit with no bond game in sight :(
    Danjaq. That's the problem.
    Saw this on IGN this morning. GoldenEra, a documentary about the making and legacy of GoldenEye 007 on the N64.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/19/documentary-about-goldeneye-on-n64-in-production
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Saw this on IGN this morning. GoldenEra, a documentary about the making and legacy of GoldenEye 007 on the N64.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/19/documentary-about-goldeneye-on-n64-in-production

Awesome! Am I the only one who thinks "GoldenEra" would be a great name for an indie game spiritual successor to GE?

Awesome! Am I the only one who thinks "GoldenEra" would be a great name for an indie game spiritual successor to GE?
    Nope. I second that.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Count me in for third.
    Fourth.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Fifth! \m/
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If only any of us had the skills to make it. :D I've fiddled around with GameGuru before, but the AI is so bad it's useless. However, they are supposed to be working on an AI update, so perhaps someday...
    oh if I could build a bond game I totally would I have heard rumors it's not hard to build off of the Doom 2 engine but have never tried it... (though if I could I would either do a film that hasn't been done like For your eyes only or I would do a bond novel that hasn';t been done like Colonel Sun)
    Risico007 wrote: »
    What saddens me is it's now nearly 5 years since the last bond game... this is near maddening to be bluntly honest the Bond video games if done well would be a licence to print money I would Argue WB likely makes more money off of Batman video games/ action figures/ merchandise More then the films... but here we sit with no bond game in sight :(

You're forgetting about James Bond 007: World of Espionage, which was released 2 years ago by Glu Mobile. It was a smash hit! 5 out of 5 stars! Stunning graphics, captivating story line. You're missing out...