Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yours is angelic and golden, that’s reason for me to believe you're the evil one
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    When a new actor steps into the role, I hope a small-yet-skilled studio can gain the rights for some more games. Don't give it to a bigger studio that'll be more focused on their own IP's, but at the same time, don't give us some half-assed mobile game, early. That 'World of Espionage' game can't be the last James Bond title we ever get, it'd be a travesty.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    jake24 wrote: »
    It's hard to even rate the Bond games of the recent past with a clear head these days. We're so desperate, we'll take anything!

EON need to have a good developer and publisher team and go back to the EA model around the time of Agent Under Fire. Do a game with an original Bond (model, voice, everything) and tell new stories with him that can do things the current films can't. Connect it to the Connery timeline, go crazy with the plot, anything. Just make it a massive blockbuster title with bigger open worlds to track and kill targets in/complete optional objectives, and have great driving, combat, shooting mechanics, etc.

Imagine a game in the Hitman model (only in part, mind) that allowed you to customize Bond with a suit/gear and any and all gadgets or weapons you've unlocked at the time to best realize your unique mission? Then have the missions play out across big maps with numerous ways to do the objective, with plenty of fun optional stuff for players who want more replayability. Sure, you could just focus on getting your target at a gala event, but little eggs could be in place around the map too that allowed you to stop by the bar and get a martini, or maybe there's specific women in the crowd you could try to seduce that would allow you to get to the target in an exclusive VIP area or something because they have a big enough name to get you in.

The driving could be the same, where you have a big map to drive inside and have to race after your target, but you're allowed to go down any one of numerous paths to cut them off before they escape. Uncharted 4 had a level like that, and it was excellently realized, showing that kind of idea could be done.

The combat should be a mix of The Bourne Conspiracy and the counter/attack mode of the modern third person game, giving Bond a deadly set of finishers to unleash when his damage meter was high enough. The only combat we get in these Bond games is one button press that shows Bond taking a guy down in a cinematic. We never actually get to punch their lights out ourself in a real fight, and that should change!

One can dream...

You and I think alike! I've always wanted a Bond game like this. Something like Hitman meets Splinter Cell meets Deus Ex. It would be nice to approach a mission how you see fit. Go in guns blazing, be stealthy, or talk your way through (via dialogue options).
    Same avatar as well. Are you two related?

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is my evil twin :P

Why the hell do I have to be the evil one? After all, my icon is angelic and golden, while yours is a morose monochrome. I think you're the evil one here, laddie.

Only an evil twin would say that!

;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's hard to even rate the Bond games of the recent past with a clear head these days. We're so desperate, we'll take anything!

EON need to have a good developer and publisher team and go back to the EA model around the time of Agent Under Fire. Do a game with an original Bond (model, voice, everything) and tell new stories with him that can do things the current films can't. Connect it to the Connery timeline, go crazy with the plot, anything. Just make it a massive blockbuster title with bigger open worlds to track and kill targets in/complete optional objectives, and have great driving, combat, shooting mechanics, etc.

Imagine a game in the Hitman model (only in part, mind) that allowed you to customize Bond with a suit/gear and any and all gadgets or weapons you've unlocked at the time to best realize your unique mission? Then have the missions play out across big maps with numerous ways to do the objective, with plenty of fun optional stuff for players who want more replayability. Sure, you could just focus on getting your target at a gala event, but little eggs could be in place around the map too that allowed you to stop by the bar and get a martini, or maybe there's specific women in the crowd you could try to seduce that would allow you to get to the target in an exclusive VIP area or something because they have a big enough name to get you in.

The driving could be the same, where you have a big map to drive inside and have to race after your target, but you're allowed to go down any one of numerous paths to cut them off before they escape. Uncharted 4 had a level like that, and it was excellently realized, showing that kind of idea could be done.

The combat should be a mix of The Bourne Conspiracy and the counter/attack mode of the modern third person game, giving Bond a deadly set of finishers to unleash when his damage meter was high enough. The only combat we get in these Bond games is one button press that shows Bond taking a guy down in a cinematic. We never actually get to punch their lights out ourself in a real fight, and that should change!

One can dream...

You and I think alike! I've always wanted a Bond game like this. Something like Hitman meets Splinter Cell meets Deus Ex. It would be nice to approach a mission how you see fit. Go in guns blazing, be stealthy, or talk your way through (via dialogue options).
    Same avatar as well. Are you two related?

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is my evil twin :P

Why the hell do I have to be the evil one? After all, my icon is angelic and golden, while yours is a morose monochrome. I think you're the evil one here, laddie.

Only an evil twin would say that!

;)

And only the true evil twin would say I'm the evil twin to take attention away from the fact that, really, they are the actual evil twin. Nice try, sport, but it shan't work!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This has become every soap opera known to man.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Bond gaming license? Quite so!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Upon replaying Blood Stone, I felt compelled to ask this:

Am I the only one who, during the DB5 chase, is willing to restart from checkpoint several times just so that I can successfully ram one of Bernin's SUV's into the harbor?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @jake24, I restart checkpoints in Blood Stone all the time when I play. If I don't like how I performed in one section, either by getting sloppy and alerting guards or simply doing an un-Bondian thing, I will restart and do it proper. Sometimes I'll even restart if I don't get the specific takedown I wanted at first.

I am like this with other games too, most notably Rocksteady's Batman games. I do the predator rooms as Batman would do them, and if a peep is heard out of me I restart to do the character and the moment justice.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Imho bloodstone is by far the best last gen bond game
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,000

Am I the only one who, during the DB5 chase, is willing to restart from checkpoint several times just so that I can successfully ram one of Bernin's SUV's into the harbor?

I didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try that. I restart the driving levels in BS all the time. I'll restart the whole level if I feel my performance isn't Bondian enough. In my opinion, the car sections are the best part of the game.

Agreed.

@JamesBondKenya, absolutely. It's a shame we didn't get the next one from Raven.

I didn't know you could do that. I'll have to try that. I restart the driving levels in BS all the time. I'll restart the whole level if I feel my performance isn't Bondian enough. In my opinion, the car sections are the best part of the game.

Agreed.

@jake24, @BMW_with_missiles, I'm glad I'm not alone in my checkpoint restart sickness.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @jake24, @BMW_with_missiles, I'm glad I'm not alone in my checkpoint restart sickness.
    Asking for permission to come aboard the collective.

@ClarkDevlin, permission granted.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
    Much obliged, sir! Ready and processing in the battalion!

26BRITkr5YwG3KPny.gif
  • @jake24, @BMW_with_missiles, I'm glad I'm not alone in my checkpoint restart sickness.

giphy.gif

26BRITkr5YwG3KPny.gif

Is that GIF file early FRWL beta footage?

giphy.gif

26BRITkr5YwG3KPny.gif

Is that GIF file early FRWL beta footage?
    Yep! Uploaded it myself.

It's from the footage shown at E3 2005.
  • Interesting! It looked very similar to the actual footage used in the game, albeit a bit more cartoonish
    Was frwl a good game ?
    Was frwl a good game ?
    Depends on your taste. If you love Everything or Nothing, you'll love this one too. It has an original pre-title sequence (originally intended for a Brosnan Bond game before he was given the boot) and additional content written for the game specifically. Red Grant has an assistant with him too in this one. A Bond girl called Eva Adara...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    FRWL really isn't a bad game. The problem is that the film is a spy thriller, the game on the other hand, is chock full of the usual action sequences.
    Do you reckon we'll get an Xbox one bond game ever?
    Do you reckon we'll get an Xbox one bond game ever?

It's inevitable... if Danjaq gives the license to someone.
    FRWL really isn't a bad game. The problem is that the film is a spy thriller, the game on the other hand, is chock full of the usual action sequences.
    FRWL is a mighty fine action game for me. However, my wish would have been to have an original Sean Connery Bond game rather than basing it on a film. Imagine if we had the DN/FRWL era Connery Bond in an original experience. That would've been my dream come true. A game with circa 1962-1965 setting...
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 2,055
    FRWL is personally my favorite Bond game so I reckon it's pretty good
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    FRWL is a mighty fine action game for me. However, my wish would have been to have an original Sean Connery Bond game rather than basing it on a film. Imagine if we had the DN/FRWL era Connery Bond in an original experience. That would've been my dream come true. A game with circa 1962-1965 setting...

I'm surprised that didn't happen after EON. One of the features that I enjoyed most, was being able to change Bonds clothes. Going into battle with Bond dressed in a dinner jacket, so classy.

I'm surprised that didn't happen after EON. One of the features that I enjoyed most, was being able to change Bonds clothes. Going into battle with Bond dressed in a dinner jacket, so classy.
    That's what I obsessively love about Electronic Arts era Bond games. You can clearly see they put too much effort into their products and unlike their successor publisher, they actually cared about the IP. Too many wonderful special features and even hidden levels were wonderful aspects found in both EON and FRWL. I truly wish they stuck with EA rather than giving the rights to the uninspiring COD makers.
  • FRWL really isn't a bad game. The problem is that the film is a spy thriller, the game on the other hand, is chock full of the usual action sequences.

That's what I obsessively love about Electronic Arts era Bond games. You can clearly see they put too much effort into their products and unlike their successor publisher, they actually cared about the IP. Too many wonderful special features and even hidden levels were wonderful aspects found in both EON and FRWL. I truly wish they stuck with EA rather than giving the rights to the uninspiring COD makers.

Me too, and now the IP is in the air. Publishers have been expressing interest in the licence, but either no one has actually come to EON, or EON hasn't approached anybody. I've really been craving for a new James Bond video game too, but I highly doubt we'll see one for at least another 5 years.
    We need a developer like EA was during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. Current EA is almost worse than Activision. Rockstar, Rocksteady, these people need to make a Bond game. The games won't be rushed. They certainly wouldn't be annual releases like we'd get with Activision, EA or Ubisoft. They'd be made with respect to everything that's come before.
    Yes, the EA of today represent all that's wrong with the gaming industry.
    Well, no. Konami represents all that's wrong with the gaming industry.
    Well, no. Konami represents all that's wrong with the gaming industry.

They're no doubt an issue, but more small time than EA. EA we have to contend with for all kinds of games, especially sports ones, and the annual releases and season passes they peddle relentlessly. Konami are only known because of Kojima, and now they don't even have him.