007 Legends Announced

Comments

007 Legends is the worst game I've ever played. And I've played Aliens Colonial Marines.
    ChickenStu wrote:
    There are bad games. There are awful games. There are absolutely unforgivably SHITE games... and then there is 007 Legends.

That is all.

Couldnt agree more man. What an absolute pile of crap that game was.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    YELARAKA wrote:
    Again, like many, you are caught up with it "disrespecting" the bond franchise and not judging the game for what it is.

No, I'm judging the game for what it was advertised as. Much like the GoldenEye 007 WiiMake, it was purely relying on the positive reception and love that GoldenEye 007 on the N64 had. The game didn't try to stand up on its own two legs, it only wanted to ride GoldenEye 007's coattails. The gameplay was enough for it, because the game has solid gameplay, gameplay that I wouldn't mind seeing return (okay, maybe not the weapon limit or the lack of an ability to jump; just because it worked in Doom doesn't mean it still works today), gameplay that could have sold that game.

But that's not what EA marketed. That's not what EA was trying to use for sales.

EA marketed the game as being related to GoldenEye 007 on the N64 because it would get them sales. This same type of marketing scheme, as I've said before, ruined Blood Stone, because Activision released it alongside a remake of GoldenEye 007, which meant that people would be out there buying Wiis to get GoldenEye and ignoring Blood Stone on the HD consoles, because of the name GoldenEye.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    If it was called something else like you mentioned you'd be fine with it.

Had it been called something else, had it had more than just the GoldenEye name to hold it up, people would be less harsh about the game. People have been warming up to it in recent years, even me. If they'd even just had the title "Rogue Agent", it would have been fine. I don't know about outside the US, but here, there's a thing on the front that reads "007 Presents", which they didn't need, thanks to the GoldenEye name on the top. They could have kept that, gotten rid of "GoldenEye" and sold the game purely as "Rogue Agent", and there would probably be no complaints (okay, except for maybe the lack of jumping, again, this is a failure).
    YELARAKA wrote:
    I didnt let that get to me emotionally like many other bond fans did. Its was a game.

Yeah, but most Bond fans are going to take the game emotionally, because it's Bond. There's a g*ddamn shooting match on a different threat over whether or not individual people could accept Bond being black, when all there needs to be is simple yes/no answers. It doesn't matter whether it's trivial or not, Bond fans get emotional about their Bond.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    A game with an original storyline that I thought played out just fine. Most the nock on Rogue agent is for issues not even related to how fun the game was, how it played, etc... Its all criticism of how bond characters were killed off, how it wasnt even about James Bond, and that it used the title "Goldeneye" to trick people into buying it.

I'm a little confused about who criticized the game for killing off Bond characters. Other than a simulation of Bond at the beginning of the game, most of the characters had already died in the films forty years ago. If the game was criticized for that, that's not even valid. And, as I said, if they'd taken off the word "GoldenEye" from the title, people would have been angry about not playing as Bond. I've explained my feelings about the "GoldenEye" title more than once (in this post, I'm a f*cking broken record).
    YELARAKA wrote:
    Well I like the aspect of evil vs evil. The killing off of several key bond characters didnt bother me at all.

The evil vs. evil thing isn't a problem. I really don't see how anyone can fault the game for it. Again, killing off Bond characters shouldn't bother people either, because the majority of the game is Bond villains, and they've been dead.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    And the original story line and all it brought was damn good imo.

No, no, that was just poor fanfiction, at best. "Hey, what if we have Dr. No and Goldfinger going after each other like cheap mob bosses?" "Yeah, and then we'll pull this twist at the end and show this guy!" Yup. Earned their money on this one, I'll say. I write fanfiction, too, and it's probably a damn sight more thought out than this game's story ever was. Thank God the gameplay is decently solid, otherwise I'd have thought this game was a waste of the $4 I spent on it.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    And the Goldeneye thing was because he was given a golden eye so whats the problem there?

And if the game wasn't called "GoldenEye", again, it would just look like a neat little nod to a past game/film. I have no problem with the character being named GoldenEye, it's actually a very cool name that's wasted on a satellite in the movie. If Trevelyan had gone all comic book and named himself GoldenEye, it would have been cool. (Okay, scratch that, maybe not... Still a better name than "Goldfinger", though.)
    YELARAKA wrote:
    The game wasnt titled "Goldeneye Part 2". Do a little research before you buy a game so you know it isnt a Goldeneye 64 remake.

Not "Part", no, but before the official title of "Rogue Agent" was applied, the game was known as "GoldenEye 2", when it was rumored as a GameCube-only title. I was actually watching the game quite closely before it came out. Besides, despite the intelligence behind the idea, the general populace doesn't do research. Don't ask me why, I don't know.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    IDK man I just take the game for what it is, and it was fun to play. It was actually supposed to have a sequel but all the butthurt bond fans that didnt like the things I just mentioned kinda put an end to that.

The game did have good gameplay. The acting was quite good (nice to hear Christopher Lee return as Scaramanga - oh, yeah, then there's that, why make Scaramanga the evil version of Q? In Blofeld's volcano lair, no less!), and I liked the ability to wield two different guns at once. If they'd worked a little harder on the story, and done something to distance the game from its reliance on the GoldenEye name, the game could have probably gone down in history as one of the best.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ChickenStu wrote:
    There are bad games. There are awful games. There are absolutely unforgivably SHITE games... and then there is 007 Legends.

That is all.

Have you played Tomorrow Never Dies for the PS1? 007 Legends is way better than that poor excuse of a game.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote:
    ChickenStu wrote:

That is all.

Have you played Tomorrow Never Dies for the PS1? 007 Legends is way better than that poor excuse of a game.

At least Tomorrow Never Dies has a passable imitator for Brosnan. The guy who does Bond's voice in 007 Legends doesn't sound a g*ddamn thing like Craig.
  • Murdock wrote:
    ChickenStu wrote:

That is all.

Can't say I've had the "pleasure" mate.
    At least Tomorrow Never Dies has a passable imitator for Brosnan. The guy who does Bond's voice in 007 Legends doesn't sound a g*ddamn thing like Craig.
    I thought the Voice actor they got sounded just like Craig.
    ChickenStu wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky. 10 levels of glitchy graphics, poor level design and stiff controls. Though one positive is the music score.

Murdock wrote:
    ChickenStu wrote:
    Consider yourself lucky. 10 levels of glitchy graphics, poor level design and stiff controls. Though one positive is the music score.

Might've been better if they hadn't rushed the thing. Hm... Kind of... like something else, perhaps?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 127
    Still dont understand how the title of a game makes it a bad game. To each their own I guess.
    Murdock wrote:
    ChickenStu wrote:

Might've been better if they hadn't rushed the thing. Hm... Kind of... like something else, perhaps?

I had fun with 007 Legends. It's not a perfect game but compared to Tomorrow Never Dies it was like playing Nightfire!
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    ChickenStu wrote:

I had fun with 007 Legends. It's not a perfect game but compared to Tomorrow Never Dies it was like playing Nightfire!

Still, both games were rushed. If they hadn't been, they'd both be a lot better.
    If they had waited and took another year or more on its development and released Legends on next gen consoles maybe it would have been better who knows.
    YELARAKA wrote:
    If they had waited and took another year or more on its development and released Legends on next gen consoles maybe it would have been better who knows.

I doubt that. From what I've seen, neither the PS4 nor the X1 are anything truly special. A little more detail, a little better shadowing, that's about it.
  • I agree on the development cycle, a little while longer would have been kind to this game. The glitches would have been fixed, plot changes could have been made, maybe efforts to get the real Holly Goodhead and Jinx likenesses as well as possibly all 6 actors or if not, Daniel Craig to actually voice his likeness.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 127
    YELARAKA wrote:

I doubt that. From what I've seen, neither the PS4 nor the X1 are anything truly special. A little more detail, a little better shadowing, that's about it.

Ive had a XB1 since mid January, early tax return gift. It is a pretty big step up from 360 actually. The very first game I bought and played on it was BF4 and I was immediately blown away. I had alredy been playing BF4 on 360 since it was released and that game looked good on last gen so I wasnt expecting too much of an upgrade. But it is easily a step up and that was on a game that was already good looking on 360. It runs a lot smoother as well with the controls. You also go from 24 player lobbies to 64 online in a match at the same time. Since then Ive purchased Plants vs Zombies and that game run so silky smooth, Ive never played an online game that was that lag free. And the game is a blast. I have Titanfall on pre-order and although it is coming out on 360 as well it will look so much better on XB1 and the key thing is it will run a lot smoother. If you look at a comparison photo of last gen to current gen of the same game it stands out like a sore thumb.

The all in one entertainment package that XB1 is is awesome. I can switch in and out of games, to TV, to apps, and so on just by saying a simple command. I can be playing BF4 and have an awesome moment and say "XBOX record that" and it will record my last 30sec. And if I had a really good game I can say "XBOX Game DVR" and it will give me the option to record the last 5min or if I wanted I could start record the next 5 min. Theres also a twitch App going live next week to allow you to livestream directly from your XB1. Theres just so much that it can do now. Im also a big fan of the new controller, fits like a glove.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Personally, until a new Banjo-Kazooie or a new Perfect Dark game gets announced, I'll stay with my Xbox 360.
    While reading this thread, it's good to know that while us fans wait for any info about a new Bond game, we can pass the time by trashing 007 Legends and others.

The LTK segment was the worst for me. At least the other "movies" had a plot that somewhat followed their respective film. LTK used the same characters into something that had no resemblance to the film at all.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    While reading this thread, it's good to know that while us fans wait for any info about a new Bond game, we can pass the time by trashing 007 Legends and others.

The LTK segment was the worst for me. At least the other "movies" had a plot that somewhat followed their respective film. LTK used the same characters into something that had no resemblance to the film at all.

It's funny, but I thought LTK was much better than DAD- granted, DAD is nowhere near as awesome as LTK, so I would certainly be more upset about butchering LTK, but DAD had it bad in Legends. First off, no Miranda Frost; one of the only truly great factors of the movie itself was removed! As if that wasn't enough, they completely changed Jinx. Now, was the movie Jinx grade A awful? Yeah, we can pretty much agree to that one. Nevertheless, if it tells you anything about Legends' interpretation of DAD, I'd rather have movie Jinx. That ought to speak for itself!
    I a huge fan of goldeneye for the wii bloodstone and Quantum of Solace for the ps2 and 360 can't defend this game it is that bad
    I finally tried 007 Legends after being scared off by negative reviews for 2 years. It's fun!! It is by no means a Duke Nukem Forever.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Chang wrote: »
    I finally tried 007 Legends after being scared off by negative reviews for 2 years. It's fun!! It is by no means a Duke Nukem Forever.

Well... I actually like both.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    To be fair to Duke Nukem: Forever, that game have nearly 15 years of hype, to the point where it became a joke. That's a lot for any game to overcome.
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    The game is bad, but PC port is even worse. They couldn't even fix it, because studio was closed :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Esoteric wrote: »
    The game is bad, but PC port is even worse. They couldn't even fix it, because studio was closed :D

The studio closing tells you everything you need to know about whether or not '007 Legends' was a solid release worth everyone's money! So glad I didn't pick it up; all I needed to see was some gameplay on YouTube and that told me everything I needed to know about it.
    I liked Drax better in 007 Legends. He wasn't monotone in the game and I loved how he got all Darth Vader at the end of the Space Station level. Bond, Join Me! Then again I enjoyed the OHMSS, DAD and MR levels. the Goldfinger and Licence to Kill missions were boring. I got bored of the endless arcade style clear the room and move on. But exploring Piz Gloria, the Ice Palace and Drax's space station was cool. If they made more DLC for it this is what I would have liked to have seen.

007_legends__2__faux_cover_art__by_comandercool22-d67k76y.jpg

Mission 01: Dr. No.
    Level 1: Crab Key.
    Level 2: Dr. No's reactor.

Mission 02: From Russia With Love.
    Level 3: Russian Embassy.
    Level 4: Orient Express.
    Level 5: Boat Chase. (Driving Level)

Mission 03: You Only Live Twice.
    Level 6: Osato Chemicals.
    Level 7: Escape to Kobe Docks. (Driving Level)
    Level 8: Volcano Lair.

Mission 04: The Man With The Golden Gun.
    Level 9: Bottom's Up Club.
    Level 10: Chasing Scaramanga. (Driving Level)
    Level 11: Scaramanga's Island/Funhouse.

Mission 05: The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Level 12: Pyramids.
    Level 13: Stromburg's Tanker.
    Level 14: Atlantis.

Mission 06: A View To A Kill.
    Level 15: Zorin's Chateau.
    Level 16: Streets of San Francisco. (Driving Level)
    Level 17: Main Strike Mine.
    Level 18: Golden Gate Bridge.
    @Murdock: I would love to see these additions as well!
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    Shame that Skyfall DLC had pointless missions. I wanted something more "signature", like fightining at Skyfall with Silva's henchmen, and then chasing him.

I hate when producers want to implement more and more action, thinking, that actual scences from the movies in the game would be boring. I would rather like to have time limit to run through the whole level up to the chapel, killing one or two badsies, and complete quick QTE to throw the knife.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    Yesterday, I ordered 007 Legends for Wii U for 14.99 brand new! Can't wait to play this!

Who has this for Wii U and still plays it?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Hey guys, no picking! 007 Legends was such a marvel it was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing in the Writers Guild of America Awards. That must mean something, right? ;) :-&
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 107
    I'm up to the OHMSS level and it's cool to be walking around in the Piz Gloria labs. They got the setting right even though it's just gunning down one minion after another.