The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    What is the third passion between Bond and Onatopp?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    What is the third passion between Bond and Onatopp?
    To answer your question the only way I know how. :D

• Who killed Felicca? She sacrified herself, Bond used her as a shield like he did with Fiona Volpe or, as I read recently, Sandor is a bit of a lousy shot?

This, alongside the pointlessness of Bond's fake death in YOLT, remains an eternal question for which there is no clear answer. One suspects there is even a deleted scene which explains who Felicca's affiliation and what Sandor's intentions are.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Who is the oldest living actor who was in a Bond film?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Monica Belucci?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    echo wrote: »
    Who is the oldest living actor who was in a Bond film?

It's got to be down to Judi and Desmond, I'd say.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think he means living today. That would probably be Roger.

Clifton James is 95.
  • Earl Cameron (Pinder in TB) is 99.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Earl Cameron who played Pinder in Thuinderball is nearly 100:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Cameron_(actor)
    Earl Cameron (Pinder in TB) is 99.

Ah, sorry. You beat me to it!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Film: Octopussy
    Scene: Bond and the goon drop out the window into the water at Octopussy's mansion.

Question:

Now, Bond safely stumbled out of the window along with the goon and presumably killed him. But, why did he seem to make everyone else believe he was being eaten by the crocodile? Why did he fake his death at all of sudden? Was it his plan for an immediate escape route?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Good question. I have never understood that scene. In a way it looks like the bad guy is being eaten by an actual crocodile.

And why fake his death? To start spying upon Kamal covertly?
    I've never really understood what is going on I that OP scene either to be honest. Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way!
    Well, the one being eaten by the crocodile had grey shirt sleeves. And the bad guy wasn't wearing anything other than... underwear?
    Well, the one being eaten by the crocodile had grey shirt sleeves. And the bad guy wasn't wearing anything other than... underwear?

Well spotted! The mystery deepens...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've always wondered where Bond got the scar Sylvia points out to him while they're fooling around in the punting boat when we first see 007 in From Russia with Love.

I like to make up stories to connect Connery's era in my head, and here I for some reason would like to think that Bond did something to upset Honey since the previous film ended (like sleeping around) and she came at him with her knife, giving him a mark before they parted ways.

A bit out of character for Honey, maybe, but this is the girl that planted a black widow to kill a man and didn't think she did anything wrong, so who knows? ;)
    I've always wondered where Bond got the scar Sylvia points out to him while they're fooling around in the punting boat when we first see 007 in From Russia with Love.

I like to make up stories to connect Connery's era in my head, and here I for some reason would like to think that Bond did something to upset Honey since the previous film ended (like sleeping around) and she came at him with her knife, giving him a mark before they parted ways.

A bit out of character for Honey, maybe, but this is the girl that planted a black widow to kill a man and didn't think she did anything wrong, so who knows? ;)

I think he had another scar on his back in the novels too as I recall. Someone will put me right I'm sure.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I think he had another scar on his back in the novels too as I recall. Someone will put me right I'm sure.
    I also recall it like that.

Now, regarding Honey Rider... I think the black widow spider is a wrongful comparison. In that situation, she was raped by her landlord against her will, so anyone with that kind of trauma would plan revenge against the evildoer. I can fully understand that. Besides, in the novel, Honey was abused worse as she had a broken nose. All in all, I don't think Honey would've given Bond that scar regardless of how many women he slept with. It's not the same as raping someone, and besides they weren't in a relationship. After all, in John Pearson's Authorized Biography, which I'm sure @dragonpol will confirm, Bond was a retired man and settled down with Honey Rider. Why would he do that if Honey was the one to give him that scar?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 17,729

Now, regarding Honey Rider... I think the black widow spider is a wrongful comparison. In that situation, she was raped by her landlord against her will, so anyone with that kind of trauma would plan revenge against the evildoer. I can fully understand that. Besides, in the novel, Honey was abused worse as she had a broken nose. All in all, I don't think Honey would've given Bond that scar regardless of how many women he slept with. It's not the same as raping someone, and besides they weren't in a relationship. After all, in John Pearson's Authorized Biography, which I'm sure @dragonpol will confirm, Bond was a retired man and settled down with Honey Rider. Why would he do that if Honey was the one to give him that scar?

Thank you @ClarkDevlin.

Yes, I can confirm that though at the very end of the novel/authorised biography Bond goes off on a mission to defeat his old enemy Irma Bunt who is busy breeding mutant rats in the Australian outback. Putting duty before his renewed relationship with Honey Rider obviously does not sit too well with her and I recall she calls him something like a selfish bastard. I believe that they were in fact planning to get married.

Bond was after all coming out of retirement to go after Bunt again, so you could say the relationship with Honey was rather on the rocks when we last see them together.

Yes, I can confirm that though at the very end of the novel/authorised biography Bond goes off on a mission to defeat his old enemy Irma Bunt who is busy breeding mutant rats in the Australian outback. Putting duty before his renewed relationship with Honey Rider obviously does not sit too well with her and I recall she calls him something like a selfish bastard. I believe that they were in fact planning to get married.

Bond was after all coming out of retirement to go after Bunt again, so you could say the relationship with Honey was rather on the rocks when we last see them together.
    But, she wouldn't go as far as to harm him physically... Would she? It's not like her.

But, she wouldn't go as far as to harm him physically... Would she? It's not like her.

No. I would agree that she wouldn't harm him in all likelihood. Tiffany Case and Pussy Galore maybe. It's all hypothetical. He could just as easy have got the scar jumping off an express train during the 1956 Hungarian Uprising as is reported in Fleming's Thunderball (1961).
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I recently got a great answer to one of my biggest Bond riddles.

At the end of From Russia with Love, Bond looks at the film of him and Tatiana and says, "He was right, you know." I have always been puzzled by what he means by that, and what it was in response to (something Grant said, I figured), and why there is a weird cut right after it. Now, I know.

Apparently the cut happens because the censors demanded that specific content of the film should be removed. During the scene on the Orient Express where Grant reveals the tape to Bond, he originally commented with the line "What a performance," referring to Tatiana. The censors didn't like how sexually-laden the line was, and cut it from the final release, which is why a sloppy edit is visible at the end of the movie as Bond puts away the tape and begins kissing Tatiana, with his mention of Grant's comment on her "performance" almost completely removed, with the last bit of the line muted out with a hissing noise. You can also hear the ending song by Matt Munro skip notes and lines at this point as the image of Bond looking at the tape is followed by him moving in to kiss Tatiana, where the skipping is best heard.
    I recently got a great answer to one of my biggest Bond riddles.

At the end of From Russia with Love, Bond looks at the film of him and Tatiana and says, "He was right, you know." I have always been puzzled by what he means by that, and what it was in response to (something Grant said, I figured), and why there is a weird cut right after it. Now, I know.

Apparently the cut happens because the censors demanded that specific content of the film should be removed. During the scene on the Orient Express where Grant reveals the tape to Bond, he originally commented with the line "What a performance," referring to Tatiana. The censors didn't like how sexually-laden the line was, and cut it from the final release, which is why a sloppy edit is visible at the end of the movie as Bond puts away the tape and begins kissing Tatiana, with his mention of Grant's comment on her "performance" almost completely removed, with the last bit of the line muted out with a hissing noise. You can also hear the ending song by Matt Munro skip notes and lines at this point as the image of Bond looking at the tape is followed by him moving in to kiss Tatiana, where the skipping is best heard.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always wondered what Bond meant by that line.
    I didn't know that....good spot @Gettler !!
    That's been a known fact, actually. I've read it on IMDB a long time ago.

What I haven't seen however is the "lost" material some claim to have seen.

@ClarkDevlin, you mean some claim to have seen the dialogue on the train where Grant says "What a performance" or the stuff Bond says to Tatiana about it during the Venice boat ride?

@ClarkDevlin, you mean some claim to have seen the dialogue on the train where Grant says "What a performance" or the stuff Bond says to Tatiana about it during the Venice boat ride?
    The boat ride, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Obviously there was a bit where something was cut off. "He was right, you know?" (Instant edit) "What is it?"

Every version I have seen the "performance" line was absent.

The boat ride, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Obviously there was a bit where something was cut off. "He was right, you know?" (Instant edit) "What is it?"

@ClarkDevlin, sorry, I read your post wrong. I now see that you said "you" haven't seen it. Sorry for the confusion.

It would be great some day to see this deleted material from the oldie Bonds, but at this point who knows what the odds are. We can't even get the deleted White and Haines scene from the original ending of QoS, for crying out loud.

@ClarkDevlin, sorry, I read your post wrong. I now see that you said "you" haven't seen it. Sorry for the confusion.

It would be great some day to see this deleted material from the oldie Bonds, but at this point who knows what the odds are. We can't even get the deleted White and Haines scene from the original ending of QoS, for crying out loud.
    No worries, bud. :) Happens with me all the time.

I agree. If there's one deleted scene I am more than eager to see is the QoS alternate ending where Bond arrests Haines and shoots White dead in a similar manner to what he did to Fisher at the end of the PTS in CR. At least, that's how I've read it. I also would love to see the many scenes where Craig introduced himself in "Bond, James Bond" fashion but Forster claims to have cut them all due to the lack of charisma in the line that's unfit for any scene... Accordingly, that is...
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @ClarkDevlin, I think the scene is set in Haines' house, White shoots him to tie up a loose end and Bond shows up to shoot him.

I'm glad the ending wasn't that, because we'd have never gotten some of the best stuff of SP. In retrospect, we dodged a bullet (pun intended) with that scene hitting the cutting room floor. I prefer White as the "one that got away," the one that was smarter than the rest of Quantum and got through Bond's fingertips every time. It makes his return in SP all the more exciting and interesting with the knowledge of how he and Bond have battled previously.