Hammer's affiliation with James Bond

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 23,530
The Hammer studios, best known for their horror films, seem to have exchanged cast members with the Bonds. I've always dreamt of a full list of such cast members. What I'd like to do here is build such a list. Therefore if you come across a name that's not yet in the list, please add it. Also, if you can add a Hammer film where an actor or actress starred in, please do so. I'll begin with a few and give everyone else a chance to add some names and films of their own.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Charles Gray (The Devil Rides Out)
    Madeleine Smith (Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, The Vampire Lovers)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Actors/Actresses that were in films from both, or Actors/Actresses that were in one, that we'd like to see in the other.

If it's the former
    Christopher Lee (Hammer: various, Bond: The Man With The Golden Gun

If it's the latter:
    Stephanie Beacham (Hammer: Dracula A.D. 1972, Bond: Any one made in the 1970's)
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited March 2011 Posts: 987
    I realise this is neither relevant nor appropriate for this discussion but I always thought Linda Hayden (Blood On Satan's Claw) would of been a fantastic Miss Moneypenny, undoubtedly though it would of meant her taking all her clothes of in every film but that's just her trademark and I wouldn't of grumbled.
    http://content7.flixster.com/photo/10/27/85/10278593_tml.jpg
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    saunders wrote:
    I realise this is neither relevant nor appropriate for this discussion but I always thought Linda Hayden (Blood On Satan's Claw) would of been a fantastic Miss Moneypenny, undoubtedly though it would of meant her taking all her clothes of in every film but that's just her trademark and I wouldn't of grumbled.
    http://content7.flixster.com/photo/10/27/85/10278593_tml.jpg

Change Miss Moneypenny to a kinky Bond girl (massuese as a occupation). I could imagine a scene where Hayden's character just finish giving Bond a massage and Bond take a liking and her character decide to give him a "happy ending", so Bond carried her to another room and yeah.

• Geoffrey Keen - ''Taste the Blood of Dracula'' - Various films

Caroline Munro - ''Dracula AD 1972'' - ''The Spy Who Loved Me''
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Great movie btw- I own it.
  • Yeah, so do I!
    Joanna Lumley: OHMSS/ Satanic Rites of Dracula (IIRC)
    Britt Ekland - "The Wicker Man" (1973) / "The Man With the Golden Gun" (1974)

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Wasn't Karin Dor in a Hammer film?
  • Martin Benson, Ursula Andress, Eunice Gayson, Anthony Dawson, Martine Beswick, Desmond Llewellyn, Madeline Smith, it goes on and on. One interesting thing about TV's The Saint, many an episode would feature either an actor from Hammer or Bond, and often both. The British film industry being small.

Here is an interesting link on this very discussion:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201106011869/opinion-features/bullets-and-bats-when-hammer-films-met-007.html
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 615
    Bernard Lee (the first "M") is in Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL. He plays a madman confined to an asylum (who gets his hands lopped off!). I don't recall whether or not he actually had any dialog.

Also: Douglas Wilmer (art expert "Fanning" in OCTOPUSSY) appears as a vampire slayer in Hammer's THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (as well as co-starring in two of Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu flicks, which were not Hammer productions).

Too bad Peter Cushing never did a Bond film...
    MrBrown wrote:
    Britt Ekland - "The Wicker Man" (1973) / "The Man With the Golden Gun" (1974)
    Sorry, but The Wicker Man was made by British Lion Film Corporation and not Hammer, @MrBrown.
  • Here is a link with some shots of Bond/Hammer stars. Scroll down to see what Desmond and Francis looked like in Hammer:

http://www.aveleyman.com/FilmCredit.aspx?FilmID=4233
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote:
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Great movie btw- I own it.

She also did Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
    edited December 2012 Posts: 259
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Bernard Lee (the first "M") is in Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL. He plays a madman confined to an asylum (who gets his hands lopped off!). I don't recall whether or not he actually had any dialog.

Also: Douglas Wilmer (art expert "Fanning" in OCTOPUSSY) appears as a vampire slayer in Hammer's THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (as well as co-starring in two of Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu flicks, which were not Hammer productions).

Too bad Peter Cushing never did a Bond film...

Yes he would've been a fine Le Chiffre if EON had made that film in the 60's. Also I think I recalled Pierce Brosnan did appear in the Hammer House of Horror TV show. Here he is:

Also one Hammer beauty who starred in The Brides of Dracula was almost close of becoming Domino for Thunderball before Claudine Auger was selected, the hot beauty was named Yvonne Monlaur:

Yvonne_Monlaur.jpg

12209-2459.gif

600full-yvonne-monlaur.jpg

Kinda sad to see her not get that role, she was very pretty. I would've love to see her in a bikini.

EDIT: I forgot to add that Terence Fisher was offered from EON to direct You only live twice. He turned it down which make me sad, I would've love to see how a Hammer Horror director could've handle a Bond film. I always thought Live and Let Die may have fit Fisher's style of directing due to the supernatural content in the film.
    bondtheory wrote:

Ys I'm already aware of Eunice Gayson in that Frankenstein movie.
    Why - o - why did Peter Cushing never star in a Bond film?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,787
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yes, he would certainly have made a great Bond villain, henchman or even an ally. He would have been a good alternative choice for Professor Dent in Dr. No, for instance.
    I'd love to have seen him as the lead villain like a recurring Blofeld or someone like Drax, Goldfinger, Largo...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'd love to have seen him as the lead villain like a recurring Blofeld or someone like Drax, Goldfinger, Largo...

Yes, that would have been great to. Still, at least his co-star and friend Christopher Lee had a pop at a Bond villain.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yes, he would certainly have made a great Bond villain, henchman or even an ally. He would have been a good alternative choice for Professor Dent in Dr. No, for instance.

Blofeld. Peter Cushing would have made a great Blofeld. read OHMSS and imagine him in it.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,787
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Blofeld. Peter Cushing would have made a great Blofeld. read OHMSS and imagine him in it.

Yes, I could see that one too, @Ludovico. A shame that it never came to pass - better than Charles Gray I'd like to wager!
    Just going back to Star Wars I continue to be impressed by the menace that Cushing brings to the game.
    In Star Wars he was the main villain, not Vader, who was a henchman.
    In fact, Tarkin got to order Vader around. The authority invested in him by the Emperor seems huge enough.

Too bad Lucas didn't keep him around for the two sequels. Cushing retired from acting in '86, so it might have been possible. But then Admiral Piett was a pleasing character too. ;-)
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    edited January 2014 Posts: 145
    Here's another one to add to your list:

Valerie Leon (from TSWLM and NSNA) starred as one of the leads in Blood From The Mummy's Tomb (1971), based on a Bram Stoker story.
    Good call, @Dragonpol2!
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    edited January 2014 Posts: 145
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Good call, @Dragonpol2!

Thanks. I recently found the DVD again in my collection - got it cheap in a charity shop!