"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    DCisared wrote:
    Haha don't apologise mate it's fine I have a strong love for a certain Steven gerrard.
    Would u rate him as the best ever Swedish player?

He´s better than Gunnar Nordahl, but Nordahl was better compared to other players at the time he was playing than Ibra is compared to currently active players. Football evolves, so everybody gets better, plus the equipment gets better.

I also have strong love for Henrik Larsson, but he has retired now. I never liked Ljungberg, I thought he was mostly diving and complaining. But he was a good player and was once voted the PL player of the year when playing for Gunners.

When it comes to english players I still have some love for Beckham. He was my idol in the end of the 90´s. And Zidane and Figo, especially Zidane.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    I'd probably vote for larsson if I was pushed.
    I don't go along with the idea that past players wouldnt be able to keep up in the modern game,
    Put it this way I'd much rarther have a midfield with the likes of Souness ,McDermott, your Emlyn hughes , your Molbys and god do I wish we had a young John Barnes than the dross we have at the minute.
    I think Beckham has always been overrated, and that's not because he is a former manc, good deliverys from corners and set plays don't constitute a world class player for me.
    Zidane and figo are two all time greats no question.
    One of my favourite players from the past has to be Michael laudrup, I don't remember ever seeing him play live but my god what a player!! I've seen countless videos and tapes of his and the guy was a genius! An absolute magician, he could literally do anything with the ball at his feet and it is a joy to watch him skip past players and thread pinpoint eye of the needle passes time and again with such effortless ease. :)
    DCisared wrote:
    I think Beckham has always been overrated, and that's not because he is a former manc, good deliverys from corners and set plays don't constitute a world class player for me.
    :)

Yes, I never thought he was a great player. He was good at corners and freekicks, that´s about it. But every kid here at that time was a Beckham fan (and Ronaldo fan).

DCisared wrote:
    Sorry guys but united just beat Blackburn 0-2 to move 5 points clear at the top of the league, they make me physically sick constantly , and have done ever since 1996 :(

I HATE man united. They're my least favourite team.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

You are most welcome on this thread then sir.

Dont think Larsson can go down as an all time great simply for the fact that he pissed most of his career away in Scotland. When you say 'show us your medals' a load of jock league titles doesnt cut it for me. The bloke could have gone to any of the big European clubs to prove himself but was content to stroll around scoring 40 goals a season in a Mickey Mouse league. I think he was a class player but never came near his potential in terms of trophies.

The polar opposite of Zlatan who has somehow won the league every season for the last 10 years. I guess it cant all be luck.

Brolin in 92 and 94 was class but I dont think any of us could make a case for him to be called the greatest Swedish player of all time given what happened.
    DCisared wrote:

Yes, I never thought he was a great player. He was good at corners and freekicks, that´s about it. But every kid here at that time was a Beckham fan (and Ronaldo fan).

Beckham will always have my respect as he is model pro and is the only player apart from Michael Owen who actually gave a shit about playing for England since the boys of 96. Hes an average player who made himself almost great through hard work - a salutory lesson to David 'big time Charlie' Bentley who had the same amount of talent but believed the hype that he was the next Becks without realising the work that goes with it.

And I've never seen anyone with better delivery. Hes still worth a place in the England team when the other options are Downing, Lennon and Walcott. No point in skinning a defender when your final ball ends up in the side netting.

Actually theres a shout for Liverpool. Stick Becks down the wing and Carroll would suddenly look worth the money. Even if you could just bring him on for free kicks and corners he would be worth way more than Downing.
    I´m not even british, but this is as beautiful as it can get:

You are most welcome on this thread then sir.

Dont think Larsson can go down as an all time great simply for the fact that he pissed most of his career away in Scotland. When you say 'show us your medals' a load of jock league titles doesnt cut it for me. The bloke could have gone to any of the big European clubs to prove himself but was content to stroll around scoring 40 goals a season in a Mickey Mouse league. I think he was a class player but never came near his potential in terms of trophies.

The polar opposite of Zlatan who has somehow won the league every season for the last 10 years. I guess it cant all be luck.

Brolin in 92 and 94 was class but I dont think any of us could make a case for him to be called the greatest Swedish player of all time given what happened.
    DCisared wrote:

Beckham will always have my respect as he is model pro and is the only player apart from Michael Owen who actually gave a shit about playing for England since the boys of 96. Hes an average player who made himself almost great through hard work - a salutory lesson to David 'big time Charlie' Bentley who had the same amount of talent but believed the hype that he was the next Becks without realising the work that goes with it.

And I've never seen anyone with better delivery. Hes still worth a place in the England team when the other options are Downing, Lennon and Walcott. No point in skinning a defender when your final ball ends up in the side netting.

Actually theres a shout for Liverpool. Stick Becks down the wing and Carroll would suddenly look worth the money. Even if you could just bring him on for free kicks and corners he would be worth way more than Downing.

Mate Carroll dosent get any where near the box anyway he's constantly lumbering about near the half way line or checking his runs before he gets in the box, he's scared to get in goal scoring opportunities because he's scared to miss chances, at least with Suarez and dare I say it Torres, they at least still get in numerous goal scoring positions to miss all these chances.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I´m not even british, but this is as beautiful as it can get:

Thats was the greatest performance by a player I've ever seen. Better than Maradona 86.

England were in deep shit and the entire team froze and were literally doing nothing. Bloke played Greece off the park on his own for the whole second half. Free kick was the cherry on the cake at the end. You have to say to stroke that in in the last minute is world class.
    World class not all about technical skill - Le Tissier, Kinkladze, Juninho all had way more than Becks - but is also about mental strength and bottle when it matters and thats where Zlatan is wanting. Bloke has way more talent than Becks but youve got to step up on the big occasion.
    World class not all about technical skill - Le Tissier, Kinkladze, Juninho all had way more than Becks - but is also about mental strength and bottle when it matters and thats where Zlatan is wanting. Bloke has way more talent than Becks but youve got to step up on the big occasion.

Even as a fan, I have to admit that stepping up in big games is his weakness. He sometimes does, but more often (atleast before this season) doesn´t. But CR7 also has that problem sometimes.

I'm not a huge footie fan but I LOVE Alan Patridge :D

"That's first class"
    BAIN123 wrote:

"That's first class"
    Textbook! Welcome my friend
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    DCisared wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

"That's first class"
    Textbook! Welcome my friend

Yay! "Back of the net"
    Do u wear lynx?
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    DCisared wrote:
    Do u wear lynx?

:)) :))

I was watching Kim-Ker-Wap the other week and it got me wondering, which of the 6 Bond actors do you think resembles AP the most?
    Deffo Rog, they both have an answer for everything and Alan deffo would love to star in TSWLM :)
    For some reason I was thinking of Pierce :p
    Haha why? Because he's a cheese ball Aswell?
    Yeah (altho I do like Pierce).
    Me too! He's got swagger, prefer Craig thou
    Who is this Alan Patridge?

A quitessentially English plonker played by Steve Coogan and a legend to fans of Radio Norwich!

A quitessentially English plonker played by Steve Coogan and a legend to fans of Radio Norwich!

Ok, I though he was an english football player I for some reason had not heard about. This explains.

Ok, I though he was an english football player I for some reason had not heard about. This explains.

Many less worthy have worn the colours of England!

Many less worthy have worn the colours of England!

Haha! Too true
    DCisared wrote:

I agree with @DCisared

Beckham to me has never been that great. I know he cares about England but I don't think he's that good a player. Sure he's great at corners and good at freekicks, but other than that I don't think he's that good a player.

But like @WizardOfIce said, it's not like we have any better options.
    It's true that England are pretty poor tbh , everyone seems to be so much technically better than us.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Given we have three football threads on the go at present, but this one seems the most popular, I'm happy to make this 'un the de facto soccer one. Give me the go ahead and I'll make it so, peeps (we really don't need three, so I'll close the other two and rename this one).

So what say you...? :)
    St_George wrote:
    Given we have three football threads on the go at present, but this one seems the most popular, I'm happy to make this 'un the de facto soccer one. Give me the go ahead and I'll make it so, peeps (we really don't need three, so I'll close the other two and rename this one).

So what say you...? :)

Can we still quote partridge ? Lol
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    DCisared wrote:
    Can we still quote partridge ? Lol

Well, I suppose. Seems a bit random to have a combined football and Partridge thread, though.

Surely Partridge is so legendary he's worthy of one on his own, isn't he...? ;)

73669.png