"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

I still think Jose Mourinho would have made a very good England manager.He substitutes players after 15mins if they are really playing crap,no matter who the player is.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    NicNac wrote: »
    Indeed Baz. There was a point before the last tournament where England were playing free flowing, attacking football, and winning a few friendlies.

But, it was mainly because Rooney was out injured. Kane and Vardy were scoring, it looked good. He came back, was immediately reinstated and wouldn't you know it they went out to Iceland.

The pundits argue that his goals, his stats etc suggest he is England's best player and must therefore play. Well, that never helped Malcolm Macdonald get more caps in his day, or Ian Wright or Andy Cole. Their stats were superb but there was always a more powerful player (ie influential behind the scenes) who the manager never dared drop.

Kevin Keegan was crap for a long time after passing his best, but he kept getting picked for England. Alan Shearer went through a loooong period where he scored naff all, but he was picked for England every time. He was a great striker, but there were times when he was getting in because of who he was.

One England squad a few years back consisted of three strikers - Heskey, Owen and Fowler - at a time when none of them could hit a dead elephant's arse with a banjo - but reputation, and the fact they all played for Liverpool was everything. So they got picked.

We need a manager with the balls to drop players when they are playing badly.

This is it in a nutshell. Quite telling that Livermore never played for England the whole time he was at Hull. If players were picked on Premier League form, Curtis Davies should have made the team earlier in the season, and Harry Maguire should have made it this time.
  • GBFGBF
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,195
    Indeed Baz. There was a point before the last tournament where England were playing free flowing, attacking football, and winning a few friendlies.

But, it was mainly because Rooney was out injured. Kane and Vardy were scoring, it looked good. He came back, was immediately reinstated and wouldn't you know it they went out to Iceland.

The pundits argue that his goals, his stats etc suggest he is England's best player and must therefore play. Well, that never helped Malcolm Macdonald get more caps in his day, or Ian Wright or Andy Cole. Their stats were superb but there was always a more powerful player (ie influential behind the scenes) who the manager never dared drop.

Kevin Keegan was crap for a long time after passing his best, but he kept getting picked for England. Alan Shearer went through a loooong period where he scored naff all, but he was picked for England every time. He was a great striker, but there were times when he was getting in because of who he was.

One England squad a few years back consisted of three strikers - Heskey, Owen and Fowler - at a time when none of them could hit a dead elephant's arse with a banjo - but reputation, and the fact they all played for Liverpool was everything. So they got picked.

I think that is one of the reasons why Jogi Löw is so successfull. If he is not convinced by a player - even though this player is quite successfull - he does not take him. And he has the guts to drop players who are famous and popular but are past their prime like Michael Ballack in 2010.

He aso prefered team players and those who have social skills. Podolski is a good example. He is certainly not one of Germany's best players anymore but he is still a good team player and is always extremely motivated, even if he is on the field only for 10 minutes.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited March 2017 Posts: 149
    Indeed Baz.
    I think that is one of the reasons why Jogi Löw is so successfull. If he is not convinced by a player - even though this player is quite successfull - he does not take him. And he has the guts to drop players who are famous and popular but are past their prime like Michael Ballack in 2010.

Your point is spot on, except for the fact that Ballack missed the 2010 World Cup due to an injury after a Kevin-Prince Boateng foul in the Premier League. Luckily for us Germans, a couple of young players managed to fill the gap left by Ballack (this includes wonder-boy Müller scoring like crazy). ;)
  • RC7RC7
    England are shite.

He can't drop all of them.
  • GBFGBF
    00Ralf wrote: »
    Indeed Baz.

Your point is spot on, except for the fact that Ballack missed the 2010 World Cup due to an injury after a Kevin-Prince Boateng foul in the Premier League. Luckily for us Germans, a couple of young players managed to fill the gap left by Ballack (this includes wonder-boy Müller scoring like crazy). ;)

Well, you are correct of course. What I meant was after the World Cup when Ballack had recovered from the injury and wanted to play for the national team again. As you know Löw's decision to not nominate him anymore was highly unpopular at the time since Ballack had been the best German player for so many years.
    RC7 wrote: »
    England are shite.

Post of the day ,right there,unfortunately.

/\ That's why I didn't even bother watching!!!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    I will still support England though last year's debacle is not forgotten, there is potential with the youth coming through though we are a long way off challenging the better teams.
    I support Holland even if we got outed by Iceland & Turkey during the qualifiers. Engeland found out themselves that Iceland is by no means an easy game to play. And their supporters are nothing less than bloody brilliant.
    I wonder now that the England games are over for now, whether we will finally get a Manager in place before our next match next weekend?!!! :-?
    And we fired our manager who was directly involved in the mess with the Orange teams since the last World-cup in which we ended on third place. The fella was called Blind which I always found a bad omen.
    I guess we will not be in Russia which I do not mind and prefer to miss the Middle East World Cup as well as they both are the result of bought tournaments. In our current status I will not have to worry about qualifying.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Watching Liverpool Vs Everton. And who's in the crowd? None other than Bond himself, Daniel Craig.

Here he is getting himself seated.

[img][/img]DSC_0126_zpsts1t53ws.jpg

And here, joining in with You'll Never Walk Alone.

[img][/img]DSC_0132_zpszxvoij4y.jpg

My wife keeps telling me I have an crush, Haha, cos I'm taking photos of him on the TV. Love the fact he's a Liverpool supporter. Come on Reds!!
    Haha, fair play to Gary Neville, saying, tongue in cheek, that the most disturbing thing today is realising James Bond is a Liverpool fan. Made me chuckle.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    He's sat next to Kenny too.

Brace yourself for some tedious 'Licence to thrill' quips on MOTD.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Ha, was just about to pop this on here.

[img][/img]DSC_0134_zpsraawwvul.jpg

No idea who the guy in the middle is though.
    Great win for my beloved Liverpool FC. May not have been at their best but it was enough to ensure a win. Apart from the Everton goal (which was a poor one to give away), Liverpool were never troubled.

As for Everton, Lukaku was non existent and when they were up against it you need your top players to do all they can to give them a lift. Lukaku didn't do anything like that and looked resigned to a loss. His only thing of note was giving Lucas a shove way on.

Anyway, maybe Craig should attend more games. Good to see our resident Bond in attendance.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,117
    From Runcorn With Love?
    The Mane With The Golden Gun?
    Koemraper?
    A Cout to a Kill?
    Firmino Never Dives?
    The Europa is Not Enough?
    Coutinho Royale?
    Jurgen of Solace?

That's probably enough.
    Haha, very good.
    Just clicked. My picture above with Dalglish & Craig, brings together two fantastic number 7's. Dalglish 7 and Craig 007.
    Just clicked. My picture above with Dalglish & Craig, brings together two fantastic number 7's. Dalglish 7 and Craig 007.

Dalglish was classier and more lethal.
    Good God....my team really are shit...
    barryt007 wrote: »

Pitiful. Started off like a joke then actually did well to work their way back into it. The moment they equalised they went back to being a joke again!

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Great win for my beloved Liverpool FC. May not have been at their best but it was enough to ensure a win. Apart from the Everton goal (which was a poor one to give away), Liverpool were never troubled.

As for Everton, Lukaku was non existent and when they were up against it you need your top players to do all they can to give them a lift. Lukaku didn't do anything like that and looked resigned to a loss. His only thing of note was giving Lucas a shove way on.

Anyway, maybe Craig should attend more games. Good to see our resident Bond in attendance.

Mike Parry didn't think so and had a Twitter meltdown over it.

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2017/4/1/15149896/james-bond-is-a-liverpool-fan-takes-a-commanding-lead-in-the-race-for-dumbest-outrage-of-the-season
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,117
    TripAces wrote: »

http://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2017/4/1/15149896/james-bond-is-a-liverpool-fan-takes-a-commanding-lead-in-the-race-for-dumbest-outrage-of-the-season

Lovely stuff. Good old Porky. Priceless to see people actually getting irate at this professional wind up merchant's rants.

Pitiful. Started off like a joke then actually did well to work their way back into it. The moment they equalised they went back to being a joke again!

Spot on....both teams didnt even turn up in the 2nd half,i couldnt believe what i was watching....well thats it all over again for yet ANOTHER season..why do i put myself through this with Arsenal and England every time !!!!????

well thats it all over again for yet ANOTHER season

Like if you'd won today your season wouldn't be over?

Sorry to break it to you old son but your season's been over for a good 6 weeks now. It's marked on the calendar these days like lent and May Day. Penultimate Wednesday in February - Officially the last day of Arsenal's season.

well thats it all over again for yet ANOTHER season

Like if you'd won today your season wouldn't be over?

Sorry to break it to you old son but your season's been over for a good 6 weeks now. It's marked on the calendar these days like lent and May Day. Penultimate Wednesday in February - Officially the last day of Arsenal's season.

I know...i think i've been lying to myself................................once again...a yearly ritual !!
    TripAces wrote: »

Ah, bless his little cotton socks, haha.