Rosamund Pike reflects on 'Die Another Day'

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited April 2012 in News Posts: 1,380
In an interview to promote her new film 'Wrath of the Titans', which opened this weekend in the UK, British actress Rosamund Pike told the Daily Mirror about her time on the 2002 James Bond film "Die Another Day".

She admits she wasn’t prepared for the level of scrutiny that came with the Bond Girl role.

“I had no experience of that,” she says. “I was actually just a nervous little 21-year-old when I made that film, but I didn’t show that side of myself because I thought it would not be good for the Bond fans to see the person who had just been a student. So, I always felt I had to dress up.”

“I think being accepted as a good actress is all I ever wanted. That’s the only stigma that comes with a Bond film – that people are quick to assume you were hired just for your looks. That kind of thing really annoys me because actually [director] Lee Tamahori hired me for something else.”

Comments

Apart from her role in Die Another Day I'm not too aware of much of Frost's other work, I mean Pike, I'm getting the two mixed up

I really wasn't aware she was only twenty one years of age at time of production until it was pointed out somewhere the last year or so. I would never have known, I would of imagined late 20's, early 30's even, it was a bit of a surprise

The main issue I have with the Frost character, why oh why did they make her bad and kill her off in the end, It was a bit of a surprise twist in the movie, I don't mind saying, but it's a real pity she had to die in the end and the awful Berry had to be the sole survivor of the Bond girls for that release, it's something that's bugged me since it's release, but only on a minor scale, Frost should of been with Brosnan at the end and the Jinx character go down with the airplane, they really spoilt it in the end

I wouldn't put Frost or Pike down as a looker so to speak, Yes she's a nice looking woman but no centerfold model. She is intelligent and sophisticated and I'd rather have that in my Bond ladies than all just eye candy and catwalk statistics. Bond girls don't always have to be overly pretty in order to succeed or make an impression

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It does seem Pike has made the best out of a big role in a bad film, which is suppose is how you do things. Well done to her.

And yes, Pike should have been the one to end up with Bond in the end but come to think of it, the whole film needed a rewrite.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    It does seem Pike has made the best out of a big role in a bad film, which is suppose is how you do things. Well done to her.

And yes, Pike should have been the one to end up with Bond in the end but come to think of it, the whole film needed a rewrite.

Nowadays I like both Miranda and Jinx, but when I was 11 I though Frost was ok and Jinx super hot (on Cuba, especially in bikini). So my answer is no. I don´t think Pike would have made the same impact in a bikini as Berry did.

I would just cut that awful entrance altogether though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I, for one, think that Berry is attractive, just not in DAD. Take this pic:

http://theplace2.ru/photos/photo.php?id=184938

I think she's very attractive there. That's how she should have looked in DAD. Or at the least, have longer hair.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    She was attractive from the neck-down in DAD, IMO.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,082
    The attractive part of her isn´t the face. But she should have had longer hair.
    Did Pike also reflect on her role in Doom? Girl seems to choose badly. But then again, who wouldn´t want to be in a Bond flick? She couldn´t have come close to guessing that would suck. Doom on the other hand...
  • tqbtqb
    I don't think this is in the right forum.
  • Rosamund is the Pat Fearing of DAD- a bright spot in an otherwise dreary film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    tqb wrote:
    I don't think this is in the right forum.

Do you question our Overlord, Sir James Page? Remember, you are but a mere mortal, you puny human!

overlord-wii.JPG

;-)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I think she's not only a good looker but a fantastic actor. Yes Doom was a bad movie but she was one of the very few good things of that film. She was also good as Bruce Willis's wife in Surrogates.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Is anyone else slightly disappointed that she didn't just take the opportunity to acknowledge how truly dreadful DAD was?
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    saunders wrote:
    Is anyone else slightly disappointed that she didn't just take the opportunity to acknowledge how truly dreadful DAD was?

I would have thought she would have said something. Before taking part in the film, Pike watched all the films and on the DVD commentary even says how shocked she was that EON wanted to do a big CGI sequence for the anniversary.
    saunders wrote:

Perhaps she has a more positive vision about the movie. Only among the socalled fans there are people that really lose any perspective when it comes to DAD. When QoS is far worse imho.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I found Pike to be overrated in DAD. She looks much more attractive now than she did back then....and she was 21 in DAD?? Jeez, talk about robbing the cradle but then again she looked at least 12 years older than she actually was.

As for Berry, her character may have sucked for the most part but she was damn fine-looking in DAD and to this day, it's unforgivable that the fight between jinx and frost was infinitely superior to the climatic fight between bond and graves.
    Best thing in the film! And she was fantastic in Johnny English: Reborn.