On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

edited March 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,762
To me, I find this one to be extremely overrated, and I don't see what all the big to-do is about. After watching it yesterday and today, I still hold true to my standings that it is one of my least favorites, if not my least favorite. Reasons why, you ask? (1) Lazenby just isn't that terrific, (2) the pacing is awful, (3) the music isn't top notch, (4) too many boring scenes prior to Bond's arrival at Piz Gloria, and even some when he's there, (5) Tracy isn't very interesting, and I could probably go on. Now yes, there are some great moments here, like the ski chases, the ice car rally, the final battle, and Savalas as Blofeld, but they just don't outweigh the vast amount of negatives. Does anybody agree, or have I just thrown myself to the sharks?

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    No.
  • 3. the music to me is amazing. 5. she is one of my favorite Bond girls. Also this is the first film where James Bond is given more then just being For Queen and Country.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    1)... true, Lazenby has about as much natural charisma as a block of wood - but I think he's servicable.. his strength is in his physicality.. the PTS fight and his fist fight in Tracy's hotel room were both brilliant. - physicality that wouldn't be matched until probably most recently with Craig.

2)... I have some issues with the pacing once he gets to Piz Gloria - from there until he's found out by Blofeld, the movie seems to drag a little.. but i thought the rest was perfectly fine..

3)... this one astounds me - granted we all have our own personal tastes.. but I firmly believe OHMSS to be Barry's masterpiece when it comes to Bond scores
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I like the music, Diana Rigg, and the snow scenes - and that's about all, honestly. Not in my top 5 even.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    echo wrote:
    No.

No to which ...? agree? thrown to sharks ...?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    (1) Yet he had the spark in him. A second film might have given us a great Lazenby.
    (2) Disagreed. This film has no pacing issues whatsoever. Each scene has plenty to offer. Even the slower paced scenes deliver in many other departments. I don't want the Crank version of Bond...
    (3) OHMSS is handsdown one of Barry's very best scores, IMO.
    (4) No. These scenes are the perfect rendition from Fleming's pages to the big screen. I appreciate the mood, the music, the acting, the cinematography... There really is more to a film than merely getting from point A to point B in less than 5 seconds. I like it when the camera lingers on a shot for a while. I like being involved in a moment, which requires time. A lot goes on too. I couldn't for the life of me call it boring.
    (5) Tracy uninteresting? The novel disagrees with you. ;-)
    ^^^^^^^^^^

What he says, and the 007 Moneypenny moment at James' wedding has more power than any 007-Moneypenny moments before. And that all because Lazenby has no spark, a 2nd movie would have made him a great Lazenby.

OHMSS is one of the two GREAT Fleming 007 movies together with FRWL.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 501
    It's true that Lazenby is not the best bond ever, however, he doesn't do it that bad. The score is perfect, one of Barry's best scores. And Binder's best, with TSWLM and DR. NO IMO, title sequence.
    It might be true too that for some the pace is quite slow, but slow doesn't mean boring, and although the pace may be slow, the movie is not boring at all.
    And Moneypenny is great in this film, just like M and Draco.
    Concerining Tracy, she's IMO the best bond girl with XXX, Octopussy, Vesper and Natalya
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Good review of OHMSS here:

I remember you saying you were quite young 00beast. I suspect you will appreciate OHMSS more as you get older.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    1) That's an understaement.
    2) I find OHMSS painfully slow.
    3) It has some good pieces of music.
    2) See #2.
    4) In the book she is, but not, I beleive, in the film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    OHMSS overrated ?? :-S It's an oustanding outing !!

And I warn you - I do not tolerate any critisism of Barry's OHMSS soundtrack !! it's not only the best soundtrack in the franchise, but IMO it's in the top 10 best soundtracks ever !!
    I think it is a bit over hyped these days, it's cool to like it as it is a bit of a one off entry, but it is a decent film, Lazenby is not really up to scratch, I can imagine him in some naff soap like Dallas or Dynasty but he has his moments and is certainly not dreadful.

I prefer this one to TB and YOLT!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited March 2012 Posts: 4,012
    OHMSS overrated ?? :-S It's an oustanding outing !!

And I warn you - I do not tolerate any critisism of Barry's OHMSS soundtrack !! it's not only the best soundtrack in the franchise, but IMO it's in the top 10 best soundtracks ever !!

I agree with you on this one, wholeheartly. Barry's OHMSS soundtrack is glorious! And the film, although it has problems (at least one) is so good...
    I will admit that for me one thing that annoys me a bit is George Baker's voice over. I find that distracting and it undermindes Lazenby's presence.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686
    OHMSS was the perfect end of the 1960's epic scope trilogy that is TB-YOLT-OHMSS. All 3 have spectacular scenery, glorious soundtracks, amazing cinematography, top-notch Bond performances. I think any newcomer to the franchise should start by watching these 3 films. Amazing I didn't say they should start by Moore ? Well, IMO the last 3 1960's film are just masterpieces of blockbuster cinemas, with a big dose of wonderful romantism in the 3rd film. I think the definitive 3 Bond films films are TB, YOLT and OHMSS. If the newcomer to the franchise is blown away by these 3 outings, he should preceed with FRWL, a slower-paced adventure, but still a masterpiece of espionnage/thriller films. And if he loves that one, can proceed with a lighter adventure, a-la DAF or MR... and then he is set to appreciate the entire franchise !!

I know I love Moore, but I pin-point the perfect entry of the franchise for a newcomer at TB, YOLT and OHMSS. I wouldn't be ashamed to bring these 3 DVD's to film class.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I think OHMSS is very overrated. It doesn´t feel very much like a Bond movie, especially compared to the masterpiece that preceded it. But Lazenby is doing quite well, even though the script is wrongly aimed. The score, however, is really good. Pure Barry.
    And the helicopter attack in the end is great too.

A newcomer could watch TB or YOLT first, or possibly FYEO. There we have a balanced Bond film, even though it´s not one of my favorites.

Mod edit: please use the edit button and avoid double posting.
  • Obviously we are more acustomed to the series then the average fan, and disect it more, but do you think if Lazenby stayed on OHMSS would be looked at differently? It would no longer be the film where that the other fellow was in.
    It might have lost some of its special movie factor, but I think it would be popular regardless.
    Easily the best looking and sounding Bond of the entire series, OHMSS will always be a firm favourite with the creative and cultured set, and forever the runt of the litter amongst the facetious and camp crowd. The musical score has never been surpassed and remains the high-water mark for all 007 movies. Of course, OHMSS isn't without its faults but name a Bond picture that isn't. And as for Diana Rigg, she's easily the most accomplished "young" actress to ever appear in a Bond flick, and her part is neither boring nor uninteresting.

Time to feed the sharks!!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,813
    OHMSS overrated? Well, I guess it depends who you ask. I love it, myself- and it's in my top 5. But at the same time, I'm not sure I'd recommend that as the first movie to a Bond newcomer.

The movie isn't perfect. I never liked the dubbing, and that's a hefty chunk of the movie right there. Lazenby wore some ridiculous clothes in this movie-- but I guess since he was a model he looks as good as possible in them. Too bad his wardrobe wasn't so crazy though. The 'brainwashing' of the girls was pretty cheesy, but hey, it was the 60's I guess.

That said, there's a LOT going for it though! I'm not at all interested in what kind of guy he is off screen-- I've always loved Lazenby as Bond. Without any doubt, he should have done 2 or maybe 3 (Lazenby in LALD... could have been pretty cool!)
    Another reason I like Lazenby: maybe I'm not from the Globe Theatre or anything but when I watch an action movie and I know that the guy could really kick as much ass in real life as he does on screen, it adds that little icing on the cake for me and I enjoy it that much more! Lazenby's a badass, no question.

I loved Tracy and she was a great match for Bond- I totally bought the notion of those two settling down. Plus, thanks to her, the ending really hit hard. Bond girls have died before but this was way different- and would effect Bond from then on (excluding DAF, lol)

But lastly, make no mistake, the soundtrack in this movie is the best in the whole series

00Beast wrote:
    (3) the music isn't top notch
    Blasphemy!!!

It does seem overrated sometimes. I've read reviews in the past by some people who genuinely believe it is the best James Bond adventure bar none. That covers a lot of ground, but above all else is simply not the case

I love the Barry score, the pre credit sequence with Lazenby and Rigg on the beach, super instrumental music and homage to past adventures on the credits. Savalas is arguably the best Blofeld of them all, and Lazenby, even if a bit young at 29 in his Bond debut, does quite well, I think he gets unfairly criticized by some

My main bone of contention probably lies in the fact that sometimes it appears to drag on a bit too long, and does get boring at certain points especially towards the end. Lazenby and Rigg had some differences of opinion off set and there was a degree of animosity between actors, but you wouldn't have thought so when watching the film. I think there was some level of chemistry between characters, and Tracy was a very good Bond girl, it's too bad her death wasn't expanded on in the next release, and of course, Lazenby back instead of a past it Connery. Apart from those minor complaints, it is a decent and worthwhile addition to the Bond series
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I cant even be bothered to get angry enough enter the fray here.

Sometimes its just too depressing to think that people who can hold such ludicrous points of view are also entitled to vote and have kids. The worlds going to hell in a handcart and we're all going along for the ride whether we like it or not.
    I knew it would be a matter of time before Wizard made an appearance on this thread :))

I think he's quite young Wizard, go easy on him :)
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Sometimes its just too depressing to think that people who can hold such ludicrous points of view are also entitled to vote and have kids. The worlds going to hell in a handcart and we're all going along for the ride whether we like it or not.

=)) It's not like if 00Beast doesn't like OHMSS he'll want a communist dictatorship in the USA as well....... sorry but your post is a bit extreme... not liking OHMSS doesn't make him a monster, and doesn't disqualify all the opinions he may have....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

=)) It's not like if 00Beast doesn't like OHMSS he'll want a communist dictatorship in the USA as well....... sorry but your post is a bit extreme... not liking OHMSS doesn't make him a monster, and doesn't disqualify all the opinions he may have....

Its just I find it rather worrying that if a candidate ran on a 'OHMSS is rubbish' ticket he could get votes from people like 00Beast. Would you honestly feel secure with someone with such extreme views having their finger on the button? Give me Dubya any day.

Lets just hope 00Beast is too young to vote! ;)
    The thing is...we should all concentrate on trying to share our views with the guy, so that we give him a chance to change his (albeith wrong) views of the world. It´s not like we´re the only ones with a point here, but maybe while sharing our point of view, he´ll change his mind. I know someon who loves DAD ;) and I think that´s a moronic opinion, but I´m more interested on knowing why he likes it than knowing why someone else loves a movie I like as well. BTW, OHMSS is the BEST BOND FILM! PERIOD!lol
    I don't rank my films. But all i would say that it does deserve alot of praise as there are plenty of good moments in the film. Overall it is a movie i do enjoy watching.
    I have read the book and seen the movie, if there ever was a movie that was close to Flemings sourcematerial this is one of them. And then have people tell that it isn't a good movie while at the same time naming LTK/TLD or CR/QoS as true to Fleming. They are nuts.
    You might not like Lazenby, tough he does a great job and would have made a next movie more interesting.
    OHMSS is one of thet true classic 007 movies and is faithfull to Fleming.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Overall I think OHMSS is a great Bond outing but I do agree it is alittle overrated. IMHO, I think the movie would have been much better if Connery were still in the role. We would have followed him since DN, which would've made the romantic scenes with Bond and Tracy better in a way and we would have felt it more when she died.
    I know fans of the movie would disagree with everything I just said but hey, it's just my thoughts.