Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Mendes4Lyfe, remember that Quantum doesn't realize until later that Le Chiffre is trying to regain the money he lost betting on the Skyfleet incident at Montenegro. Vesper may not realize Le Chiffre is a Quantum agent, as Bond doesn't, because the organization is only using her as a pawn and are only telling her what she needs to know. So her job is to make sure Bond is able to get the money, which she can then later give to the organization.

Le Chiffre has no knowledge of Vesper, and when Quantum and Obanno realize that Le Chiffre has failed them in a bad bet, she is sent to ensure the money is gotten to them somehow, someway, though I'm sure she doesn't get told much beyond the essential information. Le Chiffre doesn't know Quantum is on to him when the card game begins, and tries to kill Bond because he's the best player and the one who is most standing in the way of him winning. When Bond ultimately wins, however, Le Chiffre is then driven to kidnap Vesper out of desperation (who he sees only as Bond's lover and not a planted Quantum agent) to get Bond in a weak position, so that he can get the password from him. White then steps in and kills Le Chiffre in retaliation, along with all his goons to ensure that Vesper can still give him the money later on.

Essentially, Le Chiffre doesn't know of Vesper, or that Quantum is on to him until Obanno shows up, but Vesper could know of Le Chiffre, or she may not. The latter is uncertain, but the former holds up as a truth to me.

Quantum uncovered Le Chiffre's bad bet and found out he was headed to Montenegro, and because Bond was on site and stopped the Skyfleet plane from exploding, the organization knew the British government were onto Le Chiffre too, and would send an agent to face him off (they no doubt have moles in MI6 anyway and could find this out easily). Vesper was already being prepped for use as a pawn by Quantum before this point (logic says so), but the organization decided to use her early when they found out Le Chiffre's screw up. They then faked Yusef's kidnapping, had Vesper follow their orders to save him, and had her sign on to join Bond in Montenegro to watch the money.

Vesper is essentially the secret weapon Quantum put in place to surprise Le Chiffre and to make sure the organization wins no matter what. If Le Chiffre loses, they can use Vesper to get the money from Bond, and if Le Chiffre won the game, he'd be forced to give the money to them for fear of them killing him. Quantum was going to come out on top either way, and they played Le Chiffre and Vesper separately to make sure the money would be theirs after either eventuality.

Man, this makes my head hurt. 8-}
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,086
    @Mendes4Lyfe, remember that Quantum doesn't realize until later that Le Chiffre is trying to regain the money he lost betting on the Skyfleet incident at Montenegro. Vesper may not realize Le Chiffre is a Quantum agent, as Bond doesn't, because the organization is only using her as a pawn and are only telling her what she needs to know. So her job is to make sure Bond is able to get the money, which she can then later give to the organization.

Le Chiffre has no knowledge of Vesper, and when Quantum and Obanno realize that Le Chiffre has failed them in a bad bet, she is sent to ensure the money is gotten to them somehow, someway, though I'm sure she doesn't get told much beyond the essential information. Le Chiffre doesn't know Quantum is on to him when the card game begins, and tries to kill Bond because he's the best player and the one who is most standing in the way of him winning. When Bond ultimately wins, however, Le Chiffre is then driven to kidnap Vesper out of desperation (who he sees only as Bond's lover and not a planted Quantum agent) to get Bond in a weak position, so that he can get the password from him. White then steps in and kills Le Chiffre in retaliation, along with all his goons to ensure that Vesper can still give him the money later on.

Essentially, Le Chiffre doesn't know of Vesper, or that Quantum is on to him until Obanno shows up, but Vesper could know of Le Chiffre, or she may not. The latter is uncertain, but the former holds up as a truth to me.

Quantum uncovered Le Chiffre's bad bet and found out he was headed to Montenegro, and because Bond was on site and stopped the Skyfleet plane from exploding, the organization knew the British government were onto Le Chiffre too, and would send an agent to face him off (they no doubt have moles in MI6 anyway and could find this out easily). Vesper was already being prepped for use as a pawn by Quantum before this point (logic says so), but the organization decided to use her early when they found out Le Chiffre's screw up. They then faked Yusef's kidnapping, had Vesper follow their orders to save him, and had her sign on to join Bond in Montenegro to watch the money.

Vesper is essentially the secret weapon Quantum put in place to surprise Le Chiffre and to make sure the organization wins no matter what. If Le Chiffre loses, they can use Vesper to get the money from Bond, and if Le Chiffre won the game, he'd be forced to give the money to them for fear of them killing him. Quantum was going to come out on top either way, and they played Le Chiffre and Vesper separately to make sure the money would be theirs after either eventuality.

Man, this makes my head hurt. 8-}

Right, OK. That's very helpful, however I still have one question. If Le Chiffre definitely doesn't know Vesper, then what was the business with "the tell" all about? I thought that Vesper told Le Chiffre that Bond knew about his tell (the twitch he does when he lies) so that Le Chiffre could use the tell to trick Bond and win the poker game. I thought that's what happened, because Bond thinks Mathis told Le Chiffre about the tell, and Le Chiffre even says "your friend Mathis, is my friend Mathis". However, if Le Chiffre doesn't know Vesper, then how does he know that Bond knows about his tell, and how does he know that Bond suspects Mathis is a rat?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Mendes4Lyfe, that's a good question, and I'm genuinely not sure. Nothing screams to me that Vesper or Le Chiffre knew each other were both Quantum, and it's just as likely that Le Chiffre deduced that Bond beat him the first time because he let his tell slip, and so he adapted and used his earlier weakness as a strength to try to bust Bond out of the game later on.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Vesper is the mystery of the piece, and her betrayal should be as shocking as it is to Bond, as I personally [...]
    Wonderful post and I agree in total with your reception of the schemes, motifs and underlying story elements you described in CR and QoS. For the very same reasons, I like both of these movies as much, too. Thanks!

• echoecho 007 in New York
    @Mendes4Lyfe, that's a good question, and I'm genuinely not sure. Nothing screams to me that Vesper or Le Chiffre knew each other were both Quantum, and it's just as likely that Le Chiffre deduced that Bond beat him the first time because he let his tell slip, and so he adapted and used his earlier weakness as a strength to try to bust Bond out of the game later on.

It always seemed to me that Vesper was the ultimate backup plan should Le Chiffre fail, and I assumed that he and she knew of each other's presence. Le Chiffre never makes a move against her, except for the faked kidnapping.

There's something strange, and dare I say sinister, in Vesper's expression when they throw Bond into the car with her. At any rate, Vesper is essentially a "sphinx" throughout the film (and even after her death in QoS).
  • I think it is important to remember that Mr. White worked for Spectre, and he kills Le Chiffre, because Le Chiffre fails to get the money, and therefore can’t be trusted by Spectre as one of it’s agents. Quantum is Green’s operation, under Spectre's control, and he is monitored by Mr. White as is seen by Mr. White’s appearance at the opera, where Green attempts to hold a meeting of his organization, Quantum. Mr. White listens in but doesn’t talk during the session and doesn’t get up to leave after Bond interrupts, instead he appears to only monitor what Quantum is up to, and at the end of Quantum, what “partner” is it that kills Mr. Green there in the desert, where he will die anyway. Vesper is controlled by Specter ultimately, as is pointed out by Mr. White who alludes to it in the opening scenes of QOS. Specter has always eliminated failure and in CR knew they would get the money through Mr. White and their control of Vesper, despite Le Chiffre’s failure.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Here's one for you - The "Vanish" is no more ridiculous than the submersible Lotus.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Here's one for you - The "Vanish" is no more ridiculous than the submersible Lotus.

Seconded! Overall, the Brosnan era is no more ridiculous than the Moore era.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I agree. 40 years on we are no closer to a proper submersible car. Same with an invisible car
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Re:le chiffre
    I like to think he is a freelance banker whose clients include spectre. I'm ignoring the retcon

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    w2bond wrote: »
    I agree. 40 years on we are no closer to a proper submersible car. Same with an invisible car
    The technology for the latter certainly exists. Top Gear did it back in 2012, albeit to a lesser degree of effectiveness compared to the CGI alternative.
    w2bond wrote: »

There's not enough roads on the seabed yet for a submersible car, give it time.
    Yes absolutley.Iv said it before i will say it again...Die Another Day is criticised for having a gadget laden super car but acknowledged classic Bond films like GE and TSWLM are praised for pretty much the same reason!

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The difference between a Craig Bond film and an ordinary Bond film is the same difference between The Good The Bad And The Ugly and Unforgiven.
    The difference between a Craig Bond film and an ordinary Bond film is the same difference between The Good The Bad And The Ugly and Unforgiven.
    Or "Pink Cadillac" if that ordinary Bond film is DAD.
    Here's one: I don't think the old lady with the machine gun in Goldfinger is silly, in fact I find her quite sinister. But then I think old people can be quite sinister.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Grannie Goldfinger wanted to be in on Auric's schemes. She set out a golden delicious apple pie for him every day. :D
    I would not eat a pie from her. Must be poisoned.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Realised on my last viewing of QOS that I enjoy that one more than either SF or SP.

I like Craig's performance a lot more here too. It might be my favourite Craig moment when he switches hotels. We've had too few of those moments during his tenure.

Also it has the best David Arnold score in the series and I really love the PTS with the Aston and the Alfa's.

Sam Mendes might hit us over the head trying to be meaningful and artsy but I'd say Marc Forster does a better job at both aspects.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Realised on my last viewing of QOS that I enjoy that one more than either SF or SP.

I like Craig's performance a lot more here too. It might be my favourite Craig moment when he switches hotels. We've had too few of those moments during his tenure.

Also it has the best David Arnold score in the series and I really love the PTS with the Aston and the Alfa's.

Sam Mendes might hit us over the head trying to be meaningful and artsy but I'd say Marc Forster does a better job at both aspects.

QoS gets the job done. It's a lean mean Bond film with a ferocious pace and probably Craig's best turn as Bond.

Unlike SF and SP it has no pretentions to be anything but a fast paced Bond adventure that closes the Vesper story.

One of the many stellar moments. Straight out of a Young Bond film.
  • GBFGBF

QoS gets the job done. It's a lean mean Bond film with a ferocious pace and probably Craig's best turn as Bond.

Unlike SF and SP it has no pretentions to be anything but a fast paced Bond adventure that closes the Vesper story.

Now it makes sense :-)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Agreed on all points bar one. DC's best performance as Bond is in CR by a country mile. It's more purist Fleming and the whole film and characters are more engaging....including Bond.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 6,844

Absolutely. There are a number of things wrong with DAD, but the Vanish is not one of them. I've never had any problem with any aspect of the Vanish. The CGI looks solid and the Vanish/Jaguar ice chase is in fact one of the few highlights of the film's second half.
    Two wrongs can't make one right. Both the Vanish and the Lotus dwell way too far in sci-fi territory.

Absolutely. There are a number of things wrong with DAD, but the Vanish is not one of them. I've never had any problem with any aspect of the Vanish. The CGI looks solid and the Vanish/Jaguar ice chase is in fact one of the few highlights of the film's second half.

That's not true. The Lotus has been done in real life.....it can be done and was on Top Gear. The Vanish cannot. The technology is good enough yet...also on Top Gear.
    suavejmf wrote: »

That's not true. The Lotus has been done in real life.....it can be done and was on Top Gear. The Vanish cannot. The technology is good enough yet...also on Top Gear.

&
    Its easier to buy into the submersible Lotus than the invisble Vanquish! The latter is just plain stupid , like Bond stopping his heartbeat! This is James Bond..not Derek Flint!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    That clip was funny! Made me want to pop in DAD again. I'll have to watch it soon as it's been quite a while since I've seen it.