Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Should have used a black widow, then he's got something to sweat about.
    Maybe a bunch of black widows...
    If you think it's nitpicking, then so be it. But it doesn't change the fact that the scene has never done anything for me (or others, it seems, as this scenes seems to be often commentated on), and I think it's just a case of an oversight by the scriptwriters (as evidenced in the documentary when they talk about Rosie (it's name) being fatal). Also, in a film that I could actually see happening in real life (much like the first two Connery films as they sell it so well), this scene just comes across as jarring. Should have used a black widow, then he's got something to sweat about.

A tarantula has a much greater impact on the audience. Size matters on screen, that's just the way it is. And most people are able to look past the fact that they are technically not deadly.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The black widow comment was meant in jest.

I suppose the scene in LALD where a snake is released to try and kill Bond suffers from the same problem as the DN scene, imo, in that the use of some animal as a means to kill just seems, well, a bit childish. It just seems incredibly cliched.
    If you think it's nitpicking, then so be it. But it doesn't change the fact that the scene has never done anything for me (or others, it seems, as this scenes seems to be often commentated on), and I think it's just a case of an oversight by the scriptwriters (as evidenced in the documentary when they talk about Rosie (it's name) being fatal). Also, in a film that I could actually see happening in real life (much like the first two Connery films as they sell it so well), this scene just comes across as jarring. Should have used a black widow, then he's got something to sweat about.

Even the most realistic Bond has fantasist elements, and it's an inaccuracy like there are in many genre movies or stories, but takes nothing away from the scene. Deadly poisonous spider is sent in Bond's bedroom, his gun can't help, his fighting skills can't help him, he's in a very vulnerable position and facing a potential horrible death. It works very well for me.

Oh and a black widow's bite is not lethal either. So either way they would have been inaccurate. What matter is that in the movie it is lethal.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Oh and a black widow's bite is not lethal either.
    Yeah, that why I suggested a bunch.

:D
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The black widow comment was meant in jest.

I suppose the scene in LALD where a snake is released to try and kill Bond suffers from the same problem as the DN scene, imo, in that the use of some animal as a means to kill just seems, well, a bit childish. It just seems incredibly cliched.

In the book of Doctor No, he uses a giant poisonous centipede, maybe the filmmakers thought a big hairy bastard spider was scarier, a lot of people have an irrational fear of spiders, including Connery the big wuss who insisted on the glass plate between him and the offending arachnid!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Imagine if the giant crackon (squid) from the novel had been used too! I want to see that sequence in a Bond film.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Imagine if the giant crackon (squid) from the novel had been used too! I want to see that sequence in a Bond film.

Not without CGIs. Which would irate a lot of people. I always wondered what would have happened had Ray Harryhausen done it.

Not without CGIs. Which would irate a lot of people. I always wondered what would have happened had Ray Harryhausen done it.
    There would not have been a second Bond film.
    Dr No's death route is jut a tad too cheesy. It is sure fun to read, but it is not something I want to see on screen.
    chrisisall wrote: »

There would not have been a second Bond film.

There would have had... But with another Harryhausen monster made up and added up to the story for the sake of it. And maybe with a different Bond actor. Actually, DN would have been filled with critters: giant crabs, a tarantula in stop motion, etc.
    jobo wrote: »
    Dr No's death route is jut a tad too cheesy. It is sure fun to read, but it is not something I want to see on screen.
    Yes, the clawing to hold on to the traction-less steel was inspired!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

You could say he was trying to...Get...a...grip! ;)
    Murdock wrote: »

You could say he was trying to...Get...a...grip! ;)

84213af3ef198a2bcaeb75dbcd4a7497.jpg
  • Saving the space fight and the fact that Jaws turned a good guy, Moonraker coulde be a top 10 Bond film.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Without the space fight MR would not be the cult classic it has become.
    I don't get why so many people despise that space sequence. It has high production value, very good special effects and is simply fun to watch.
    And why should an agent not enter a space shuttle? I've seen dumber things in movies like falling out an airplane and open the parachute 1 second before impact and having no scratch whatsoever.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A parachute works the same way regardless of how high above ground you are, unless you are above the reach of gravity of course.
    So is there a genuine chance Craig would have actually survived if that had happened to him in real life?
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    So is there a genuine chance Craig would have actually survived if that had happened to him in real life?

They way it was depicted in the movie. NOPE
    Of course he would have survived. It is the same as hitting the brakes and stopping an inch short of a tree. Would you die if that happened? From the shock perhaps, but it still works.
    I'd have thought he'd at least be a bit more injured considering the speed he was falling.
    I'd have thought he'd at least be a bit more injured considering the speed he was falling.

Again, James Bond and Camille not only deploy one parachute for both of them, but they do so two feet off the ground and while rolling through the air, a move which would be certain to kill them both in real life. But they're perfectly unharmed.

One of the most ridiculous parachute scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

Man, anything is possible:

Doesn't @Thunderfinger have a military background? I'd have thought he'd know something about how parachutes work.
    Doesn't @Thunderfinger have a military background? I'd have thought he'd know something about how parachutes work.

He does? @thunderfinger

I do too. :)
    We didn t have use for parachutes in the navy.
    I know Thunderfinger said he was in the Navy.
    I suppose they aren't needed at sea :p
    My research shows that 500 feet is do-able, 300 feet is survivable, less than that is in God's hands.
    Going back to @Thunderfinger's comparison of putting the breaks on in a car. Wouldn't the principle of breaking distance apply? The faster you travel (or fall), the greater the slowing down time would be?