Mercedes create 'Die Another Day' style invisble car

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited March 2012 in News Posts: 1,380
To promote their new eco friendly car that has 'zero environmental impact' , Mercedes have created a special promotional car that attempts to create an invisible effect, much like 007's Aston Martin 'vanish' in the 2002 film "Die Another Day".

Utilizing the F-Cell Hydrogen Fuel technology, the vehicle promises absolutely 0.00% emissions which makes it 100% eco-friendly.

Covered entirely with LEDs on one side of the car, the LED diodes are transmitted an image from the other side through the Canon 5D Mark II DSLR camera fitted there, thereby creating the ‘invisible’ effect.

Comments

• tqbtqb
    pretty sweet
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,929
    Maybe now Die Another Day will climb up the ranks on everyone's list after seeing the film for what it truly is: ahead of it's time. :D
    "Know what did you hit?" ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 23,544
    Goodness, now DAD becomes one of the few Bonds that actually managed to display a modern technology even before it made its maiden voyage in real life. MR is in that selected group as well. ;-)

All hail DAD! :-)
    ^:)^

Oh, wait. Gene therapy doesn't exist yet. False alarm, guys.
    Hah this is actually pretty good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    At this rate, gene therapy is only a few years away. I'm telling you, we'll all be walking around in the ergonomically adjusted robosuit! >:)
    That was pretty awesome... wow... is it only "invisible" on one side, though?

"The Best or Nothing" also sounds like it could be a Bond movie title. :))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Good start but quite a way to go to get this technology up to the level found in Die Another Day.
    Remember, the government and army have access to technology roughly 15 years more advanced than what the general public see, and use it for 'defence purposes' before it's integrated into society.
    Very clever advert well done!
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    pretty cool
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 565
    For those boasting the technology, I still would like to see how the wheels could possibly be "invisible" (in DAD).

As for the ad, I think it's pretty clever.
    Yep, cool ad. Think it still needs the right angles and background to work. But still a cool idea.
    JamesStock wrote:
    For those boasting the technology, I still would like to see how the wheels could possibly be "invisible" (in DAD).
    Integrating the LED function in the material would help. Remember, there exist fabrics that can be used to display adverts - one moment you got a white shirt, the next moment you see the emblem of a company. That´s not too far away from projecting things on moving tires from the inside. After all, arranging atoms to letters has already been done, though admittedly not yet on the level of serial production ;-) .

So now we know what's wrong with DAD. Bond should have had a Merc.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Could have accepted this in DAD. The trouble with the car in DAD was it was just too invisible.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,812
    Could have accepted this in DAD. The trouble with the car in DAD was it was just too invisible.

Really?! We have an unstoppable man running around killing any bad guy in his way, wooing any woman he wants, who can ski/snowboard/surf, speaks many different languages, has gadgets, and awesome cars with its very own gadgets, yet you draw the line at his car being "too invisible"? Ridiculous.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well I can ski and snowboard and get by in 4 languages so I dont think adding surfing to my repotoire and being arsed to study more to make myself completely fluent is stretching credibility too far. Alas I cant pull any woman I want but there are certainly blokes out there who can. Same as I dont have the special forces skills to kill anyone who gets in my way but these guys do exist. I dont think its inconcievable that there is a man who could do all of the above - especially considering SAS training naturally includes skiing, parachuting and being able to speak several languages.

As for unstoppable, did you miss the 14 months at the start of the film where hes being tortured?

I always turn to a man wiser than either of us when considering has Bond gone too far who said 'Bond goes wildly beyond the probable, not, I think, the possible.'

This invisible Mercedes would have been passable as you can still see it but it is using what Q might term 'adaptive camouflage'.

In DAD when Bond is crouching down next to it or in Q's workshop we cannot even see an outline with the camera 3 feet away. That is what I mean by too invisible. And considering this Merc is now out 10 years after the event and is still nowhere near as invisible as the Vanquish then I would say we haved strayed from Cubbys maxim of being set 5 mins in the future to outright science fiction.

And what is that with John Cleeses legs being strangely refracted when he walks around the back of it? This never happens to anything else afterwards. Just another piece of shoddiness in this abortion of a script.
    The Aston is where DAD jumps the shark. Almost anything else after this comes across as cheap comic book adventure. At the time I thought the second half of DAD is closer to a remake of Flash Gordon what with all the strange costumes, burning plane, ice-glider and death-rays. Only DAD doesn't come close to the original. That Merc is a nifty gag but I daresay a car that's invisible to radar only and has some silent-mode fuel-cell drive and a means to jam all electronic communication would have been more realistic and of more use than DAD's.