Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection coming this fall

edited February 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,024


Awaited by fans since the birth of the format, Indiana Jones is coming to Blu-ray this fall! A box set is planned that will include Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Full specifications and cover art are expected to be available soon but, in the meantime, you can check out the official press announcement below:

The man with the hat is back – and looking better than ever! The world’s favorite globe-trotting archaeologist is, at long last, embarking on his greatest adventure – when "The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection" comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Media Distribution. The Complete Indiana Jones Blu-ray Collection will be excavated in the fall of 2012 and will include all four of Indy’s thrilling adventures, using the highest possible high definition picture and audio presentation – along with a “best of” collection of documentaries, interviews, featurettes and a few new surprises.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=87591
«1

Comments

  • Posts: 1,014
    I bet a million quid that there still aren't any commentaries as Spielberg doesn't do them and I dont think Lucasaid will bother!
  • Posts: 1,136
    That would be blasphemy - if the fourth installment is included in the boxset with the three first!
  • Posts: 12,807
    With this finally announced that can only mean a fifth film is a few years away. ;)
  • Posts: 4,077
    Zekidk said:

    That would be blasphemy - if the fourth installment is included in the boxset with the three first!

    If it isn't included other people complain that the box is not complete, an opinion which I would share.

  • Posts: 1,023
    I always knew I would have to own Crystal skull, it will stay unwatched life is too short to subject myself to that again.

    I would have been happy with separate versions to avoid Indy 4 but I guess I'll get 1 masterpiece, 2 enjoyable films and one piece of excrement.
  • Posts: 1,024
    Samuel001 said:

    With this finally announced that can only mean a fifth film is a few years away. ;)

    I certainly hope not...
    And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Indy fan.
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 12,807
    gt007 said:

    Samuel001 said:

    With this finally announced that can only mean a fifth film is a few years away. ;)

    I certainly hope not...
    And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Indy fan.
    Well, there is always of it but with the fourth having at last been made, a final fifth film is now a lot more likely I would guess. The clock is ticking though, there is not really more than five years to get it done.

    I personally, would love a better film to end the series with.
  • Samuel001 said:

    gt007 said:

    Samuel001 said:

    With this finally announced that can only mean a fifth film is a few years away. ;)

    I certainly hope not...
    And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Indy fan.
    Well, there is always of it but with the fourth having at last been made, a final fifth film is now a lot more likely I would guess. The clock is ticking though, there is not really more than five years to get it done.

    I personally, would love a better film to end the series with.
    How about a final third film? Was the characters riding into the sunset not enough for you George, you sycophantic, greedy, muck-writing vermin. The perfect ending to a brilliant series ruined by Lucas's unrelenting prodding of Spielberg for almost 20 years. Grrrrrr... >:P
  • Posts: 1,024
    Samuel001 said:

    I personally, would love a better film to end the series with.

    Me too, but is that possible? I mean, continuing a story in which Indy has Shia LaBeouf as a son and lives happily ever after with him and Marion, would that be any good? I doubt it...

    Someone would say they could do a prequel to Kingdom, like they did with Temple Of Doom. Well, supposing Indy 5 will happen, it won't start filming before 2013 (or even 2014) and I don't think Ford will be able to convince us he's younger than in Kingdom. Unless of course they make him look younger using CGI, which I'm sure will infuriate the fans, making Indy 5 a film as good as Kingdom, or worse.
  • Posts: 1,014
    Kill off Shia please George and redeem yourself!
  • Posts: 1,344
    This is great news. The original 3 films are classics and belong on BluRay.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 9,846
    I'm gonna defend crystal skull here. It definetly didn't need to be made, and it probably shouldn't have. I prefer the way the last crusade ended things, that ending had a big impact on me when I was a kid.

    But I think crystal skull turned out ok. Its not as good as the others but it turned out good enough. I'm hoping for a 5th film to end the franchise on a high note. But NO SHIA.

    I really need to get a blu ray player.
  • Posts: 954
    I ddn't think Crystal Skull was too bad, i thought Shia Lebouf and Harrison Ford played pretty good together but he didn't need to be Indy's son and I don't think they needed to bring back Marion as that slowed the whole thing down and of course the aliens at the end were pretty lame but mostly it was a pretty good adventure film, just not as good as the others!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,758

    I'm gonna defend crystal skull here. It definitely didn't need to be made, and it probably shouldn't have. I prefer the way the last crusade ended things, that ending had a big impact on me when I was a kid.

    But I think crystal skull turned out ok. Its not as good as the others but it turned out good enough. I'm hoping for a 5th film to end the franchise on a high note. But NO SHIA.

    You're so right- I found Crystal Skull just 'ok' and agree that it likely shouldn't have been made at all. But then I remember how I was circa 2001-2005ish, long before any sort of Indy 4 had any definite plausibility; I was BLOODTHIRSTY for an Indy 4!! And so were a ton of other people. I guess we asked for it in the long run!

    Now there has been talk of an Indy 5. I'm on the fence to be honest... on one hand, part of why Last Crusade was made at all is because Spielberg felt that Temple of Doom wasn't that great, and he wanted to make it up to the audience with a GREAT movie. All the things Spielberg has said about Indy 5 lends me to believe it's the same type of scenario
    BUT. As of right this second, Harrison Ford is 69 damn years old. If they started filming TODAY maybe they could it out before he's freaking 70. Indiana Jones the character was born in 1899; is Indy 5 going to take place in 1969??? Of course, Harrison sure as hell doesn't look like a guy as old as he is.... and there's no rule that the character has to be as old as the actor (Roger in AVTAK anyone?); I mean they are actors after all.
    But you see- this is why I just don't know about Indy 5. All I know is, if it does get made, I'll see it... because I'm a huge sucker, lol
  • Posts: 4,120
    Hm, its rather difficult to follw you, but Indie films are not based on a young looking lead but on an incredibly well done adventure movie - so IMO, it can be redone with Indie in his sixties, given a more credible co star then S. LaBoeuf and you are all set. Crystall Skul was terrible IMO, but fans all over the world would give another Indy *thumb up*
  • I'm gonna defend crystal skull here. It definetly didn't need to be made, and it probably shouldn't have. I prefer the way the last crusade ended things, that ending had a big impact on me when I was a kid.

    But I think crystal skull turned out ok. Its not as good as the others but it turned out good enough. I'm hoping for a 5th film to end the franchise on a high note. But NO SHIA.

    I really need to get a blu ray player.

    My bruised hands and dents in my closet door beg to differ. :-<
  • Posts: 3,256

    Hm, its rather difficult to follw you, but Indie films are not based on a young looking lead but on an incredibly well done adventure movie - so IMO, it can be redone with Indie in his sixties, given a more credible co star then S. LaBoeuf and you are all set. Crystall Skul was terrible IMO, but fans all over the world would give another Indy *thumb up*

    What do you mean by credible co star? Do you mean someone younger who can do all the action? Then thats not an Indy film. Its a Mutt film.

    Unless Harrison can do it (and they need to start filming in the next 6 months realistically) then this should never see the light of day. Like Star Wars I'd rather remember the original trilogy and pretend KOTCS never happened than watch Lucas further tarnish his legacy by having a crappy version of Last Crusade with Indy cast in the Sean role and some up and coming non entity - LaBoeuf, Ryan Reynolds, Hayden Christiansen, Chris Evans, whoever - being the star whilst Harrison wheezes along behind.



  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,394
    while Last Crusade had that perfect ending feel to it... I wont go as far as to blame Lucas for doing another....

    because for years, that was all that was talked about by fans - "when is the next one coming out?" "is there going to be another?" "we want just one more!"... and after 20 years of anticipation and hype, when it wasnt what you thought it would be when you were 10 years old - it instantly sucks, and thus Lucas gets blamed for even conceiving the idea to do a fourth film - nevermind the fact that fans had been screaming for one for years.. it's not like he forced a 4th film down our throats...

    now granted, after all of that, the end result wasn't the best of films... but i still found it entertaining, despite it flaws - knowing that there is still one last adventure in Indy, and reading that Spielberg wants to do one last one, to set the series back on course after the vile reaction to Crystal Skull... knowing that, I welcome a 5th movie.... if it rights the ship, and put the series back as it should, then by all means, bring it on...

    i've long heard that the same reaction Crystal Skull recieved, is a mirror to how Temple of Doom was recieved... over time (and countless viewings) Temple Of Doom seems to weathered the storm, and won over it share of fans.... but it sure did get blasted in its day.. the only difference between then and now - is the internet.
  • Posts: 3,256
    I take your point on TOD. Most of the action in that is pretty average with too many model shots (the life raft, the mine carts) and green screens (the tsunami in the tunnel, the bodies falling off the bridge) compared to Raiders and LC. If the internet had been around in the 80s it would have been slated coming straight after Raiders.

    Dont agree though that KOTCS is only bad because it could never live up to the hype. Its a very average movie which is fine for rubbish like Transformers or the latest Vin Diesel opus but it falls way below the standards expected of Indy and Bond which are in the premier league of action films and is therefore a disgrace.

    I dont mind the opening act of KOTCS (can even take the nuke the fridge scene) up to the bike chase but after that it becomes a bigger shambles than even DAD itself.

    A tedious script which just sees Indy and co being caught then escaping only to be caught and to escape again while the Macguffin switches hands and at each encounter Indys group swells by another pointless character so that by the final reel his group of hangers on and stragglers feels like it numbers about 300.

    After the opening warehouse and bike chases which are largely done for real the 3rd act into CGI abomination is just beyond any defence. Even DAD had a greater regard for the laws of physics than stuff like the vine swinging and the appalling duck jump onto the tree.

    The aliens arent really a problem as after all Raiders and LC had the power of God which is just as ludicrous. The main trouble with it is the bloated cast of characters which do very little to foward the plot (Macs changes of allegiance every 5 mins are tedious, John Hurt must have been desperate for money to take on such a non entity of a role and what the f**k happened to Marions character in the intervening years?), the uninspired script and the lies pedalled by Spielberg that it would made the old fashioned way with stuntmen before serving up a CGI crapfest. Also the fact that they waited so long until Harrison was so old. Either do it in the late 90s/early 00s or forget it. Now to make a 5th seems very unlikely as to get everyone into position with a decent script before Harrison is in a wheelchair seems like a big ask.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,394
    @Wizard...

    oh, i fully realize all the shortcomings that Crystal Skull had - and many of them I am right there in agreement with you on... believe me, its not the Indy flick that gets the most play out of the 4 for me, but i can on occasion sit back and enjoy it - despite some eyerolling scenes..... i wasn't pinpointing all it's problems on hype... but i do believe that the hype, and 20 years of expectations does play some role in it...

    have you even compelled yourself to watch the making of documentary?..... well, something tells me you haven't.. because there isn't as much CGI involved as you'd think... yes it is there - but there was actually far more model and miniature work than you'd probably think, and yes - they did use a lot of stuntmen for action sequences... you could tell where obvious CGI was used.... but...

    the fake town getting obliterated by the nuclear bomb - all model miniatures, with only minimal CGI used..

    the natives chasing Indy and CO out of the temple and the temple spire rising (and all of that) - models and miniatures..

    the duck chase in the jungle - done practically... yes, blue screens were used for certain scenes obviously (but so were they in the other films).. but Indy diving from one duck to the other - yep, done for real

    a majority of what you see was done for real - but it looks fake, either because they used CGI to add little details - or they composited two shots together..... i once thought like everyone else, that there was way way way too much CGI, after watching that documentary, I stood corrected.

    but - i am not saying that all makes the film better... believe me, i know it doesn't.... i think a big problem is that Lucas was having too much fun playing "reunion" with this Indy script, instead of trying to advance the character.. when you go from real character development between Indy and his father in Last Crusade, to the hollow development between Indy and Mutt - its staggering... was the character really needed?.. probably not, but honestly I didn't mind him - I am not a Shia hater like the trend seems to be.... the character that really felt tacked on was Marion... she served no purpose to the story other than a minor plot point, which could've be easily rewritten... dont get me wrong, it was nice to see her - but at what cost?... he character was so memorable in Raiders, in Crystal Skull she is merely thrown in for...... no reason honestly...... IMO, what this film suffers from is what DAD did, too many callbacks to past films.... i dont mind a couple nods - but this should've been titled Indiana Jones and the Endless Homages - because thats what it felt like at times... and when you spend so much time focusing on the past, you can't move your story forward.... as i said before, nods are okay - but they shouldn't overstay their welcome.... Mac, was an interesting character - but i do agree, his constant flip flopping was a piece of poor and lazy writing... it could've been handled much better and more effectively - and i still dont understand why Indy tried to save him, when Mac almost got Indy killed on several occasions, but, oh well.... what do i know...lol.

  • Posts: 2,758
    Temple of Doom is a solid good movie once they're out of Shanghai and the inflatable raft out of the plane scene.
    Those parts are RIDICULOUS and full of kiddy humor- plus Kate's annoying screaming is at its worst at this point. Once they all arrive in India however, the movie becomes DARK and awesome rather quickly. I suspect that those who hate TOD are only remembering the very beginning.

    As for Indy 5.... how old was Charles Bronson when he did Death Wish 5? Because he was pretty old in that one, plus the movie itself was that was atrocious, and should be used as a lesson for when enough is enough

    I can think of only one successful franchise (in the action genre) where we've seen our hero go from young and tough to old and tough. And that's Metal Gear Solid 4
    (and that's a freaking video game)
  • Posts: 3,256
    haserot said:

    @Wizard...

    oh, i fully realize all the shortcomings that Crystal Skull had - and many of them I am right there in agreement with you on... believe me, its not the Indy flick that gets the most play out of the 4 for me, but i can on occasion sit back and enjoy it - despite some eyerolling scenes..... i wasn't pinpointing all it's problems on hype... but i do believe that the hype, and 20 years of expectations does play some role in it...

    have you even compelled yourself to watch the making of documentary?..... well, something tells me you haven't.. because there isn't as much CGI involved as you'd think... yes it is there - but there was actually far more model and miniature work than you'd probably think, and yes - they did use a lot of stuntmen for action sequences... you could tell where obvious CGI was used.... but...

    the fake town getting obliterated by the nuclear bomb - all model miniatures, with only minimal CGI used..

    the natives chasing Indy and CO out of the temple and the temple spire rising (and all of that) - models and miniatures..

    the duck chase in the jungle - done practically... yes, blue screens were used for certain scenes obviously (but so were they in the other films).. but Indy diving from one duck to the other - yep, done for real

    a majority of what you see was done for real - but it looks fake, either because they used CGI to add little details - or they composited two shots together..... i once thought like everyone else, that there was way way way too much CGI, after watching that documentary, I stood corrected.

    but - i am not saying that all makes the film better... believe me, i know it doesn't.... i think a big problem is that Lucas was having too much fun playing "reunion" with this Indy script, instead of trying to advance the character.. when you go from real character development between Indy and his father in Last Crusade, to the hollow development between Indy and Mutt - its staggering... was the character really needed?.. probably not, but honestly I didn't mind him - I am not a Shia hater like the trend seems to be.... the character that really felt tacked on was Marion... she served no purpose to the story other than a minor plot point, which could've be easily rewritten... dont get me wrong, it was nice to see her - but at what cost?... he character was so memorable in Raiders, in Crystal Skull she is merely thrown in for...... no reason honestly...... IMO, what this film suffers from is what DAD did, too many callbacks to past films.... i dont mind a couple nods - but this should've been titled Indiana Jones and the Endless Homages - because thats what it felt like at times... and when you spend so much time focusing on the past, you can't move your story forward.... as i said before, nods are okay - but they shouldn't overstay their welcome.... Mac, was an interesting character - but i do agree, his constant flip flopping was a piece of poor and lazy writing... it could've been handled much better and more effectively - and i still dont understand why Indy tried to save him, when Mac almost got Indy killed on several occasions, but, oh well.... what do i know...lol.

    Take your point but in a way thats just as bad. No point in doing it for real if the end result still looks faked. Take CR and the construction site chase. Faked because everyone had cables tied to them so were never in that much danger but the end result looks real and is breathtaking. A stunt that is dangerous for the stuntman is seriously undermined for me when everything around him is CGI. Take the final fight in Revenge of the Sith. I'm sure theres a lot of good proper stuntwork in that fight but as its all surrounded by tons of CGI I find myself kind of assuming its all done by computer the same as the fight with Yoda is at the end of Attack of the Clones.

    Similarly Bourne has such a high reputation because everything looks real. I can occasionally spot the odd effect (such as in Ultimatum his car gets sideswiped and this has to be CGI simply because it would be too dangerous to get that shot for real with either Damon or a stuntman) but the overall effect is realism. Thats the point of special effects for me. The best ones you shouldnt be able to see and that is when it makes you go 'wow'. In KOTCS the CGI is so easy to spot it destroys the impact of the scene. When the stunt you want to attempt is not even vaguely feasible with real stuntmen you need to re-write not go ahead anyway and do it all with CGI.

    I agree entirely about Marion. One of the worst aspects of the whole KOTCS experience was how badly the script treated her character. Really surprised Spielberg let it happen but I get the impression that the driving force behind the whole thing was Lucas and we already know what happens when hes allowed to do what he wants.
  • Posts: 1,023
    KOTCS is utter rubbish plain and simple, I saw TOD at the cinema when it was released it was my first Indy experience and while it isn't in the same class as ROTA it certainly isn't as dire as KOTC, I've seen some trying to say that it was better then TLC as well.

    Seriously some people try to make excuses for it, it is what it is a huge pile of excrement.
  • Better than TLC?! HAHAHAHAHA. I too am fathomed at how some people try to rationalize KOTCS.
  • Posts: 2,394
    while i enjoy KOTCS, i still dont put it in the same class as the other 3 films - i said that even walking out of the theater when i first saw the movie....

    TLC is easily my favorite Indy flick, for a number of reasons (probably because i used to watch it daily after school for like a year straight with my stepdad when i was a child).. but it's one of the films i can point to and say "that is why i want to make movies" - it succeeds in every level of progressing a relationship between an estranged father and son, where resentment turns to admiration eventually to love - it's beautiful and well written.. its story that is just as much about father and son finding eachother, as it is about finding the holy grail - in fact, both could be looked at as being one in the same.... the score is probably Williams' best work on an Indy film as well - so beautifully quite and somber at times..

    i could go on and on.. but i wont - i'll save that for another day. lol
  • Raiders is my fave indy film, but TOD and TLC are also awesome.

    Like I said, I think KOTSC was ok, but shia drags it down and so its not in the same class as the other 3.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 17,318

    Raiders is my fave indy film, but TOD and TLC are also awesome.

    Like I said, I think KOTSC was ok, but shia drags it down and so its not in the same class as the other 3.

    No, Lucas and Spielberg are to be blamed. There is no reason why this should've happened. Spielberg ended with the ride into the sunset for a reason, and all it took was two decades of whining from Lucas for him to throw away his dignity. Well done Steve, way to plummet.

    KOTCS is on right this second. *CLICK*(changing channel) Ahhh, now I'm relaxed.
  • Raiders is my fave indy film, but TOD and TLC are also awesome.

    Like I said, I think KOTSC was ok, but shia drags it down and so its not in the same class as the other 3.

    No, Lucas and Spielberg are to be blamed. There is no reason why this should've happened. Spielberg ended with the ride into the sunset for a reason, and all it took was two decades of whining from Lucas for him to throw away his dignity. Well done Steve, way to plummet.

    KOTCS is on right this second. *CLICK*(changing channel) Ahhh, now I'm relaxed.
    Well I enjoyed the film, I just don't like the idea of indy having a son (or any action star having a son, because the producers just turn the son, who is always no where near as cool as the dad, into a mini version of the hero. I'm slightly worried about die hard 5 because of this). Like I said, KOTSC didn't need to be made (the sunset ending was perfect) but it could've been ALOT worse.
  • Posts: 5,652
    So what if it's Blue Ray this, Blue Ray that, I mean the damn movie is still the same is it not, oh the color's a little better or some picture quality, I'm not always up for that

    Point being, I've seen them all now, saw the first three on their initial release in theaters in the 1980s but only saw Part IV until a few weeks ago, I was not impressed. I was pleased enough with the quality of pictures and with subsequent viewings without need for fancy additions and all, we don't need to be swamped with extras and all that, oh look at the quality of this here DVD release, isn't it awesome, well stuff that

    This isn't a Harrison Ford Indiana Jones debate though, or maybe not the appropriate place and seem to remember something different in another area around here concerning all this, but still insist the first two are well worth a watch, Part III with Connery just doesn't work and doesn't feel like an Indiana Jones picture and the last release wasn't up to much and Ford was simply inappropriate for the part by this time

    Lo and behold they're going to do a Part V sooner or later I think, following on with Die Hard series etc, It's just getting out of hand now, they need to find a limit with these damn franchises and ageing actors still playing the same roles, they really should stop with this soon before they really embarrass themselves 8-|
  • Posts: 183
    I enjoy KOTCS as a fun pulp adventure film.
Sign In or Register to comment.