Barbican Exhibition Puts Bond in Gallery To Mark 50 Years Of 007

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited February 2012 in News Posts: 13,350
This summer the Barbican marks the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film franchise, from 1962’s DR NO to this year’s SKYFALL, by joining forces with EON Productions to create a unique exhibition designed by Ab Rogers, curated by the Barbican and guest-curated by fashion historian Bronwyn Cosgrave and Oscar®-winning costume designer Lindy Hemming. The exhibition is supported by Swarovski.

With unprecedented access to EON’s archive, Designing 007 – Fifty Years of Bond Style is a multi-sensory experience where screen icons, costumes, production design, automobiles, gadgets, special effects, graphic design, exotic locations, weapons, stunts and props combine to immerse the audience in the creation and development of Bond style over its auspicious 50 year history.

Highlights include gadgets and weapons made for Bond and his notorious adversaries by special effects experts John Stears, Syd Cain and Chris Corbould; artwork for sets and storyboards by production designers Sir Ken Adam and Peter Lamont and costume designs by Bumble Dawson, Donfeld, Julie Harris, Lindy Hemming, Ronald Patterson, Emma Porteous, and Jany Temime.

On display too will be lavish screen finery produced for the six actors who played Bond and his sidekicks over five decades by Hollywood costume designers and major fashion names including Giorgio Armani, Brioni, Roberto Cavalli, Tom Ford, Hubert de Givenchy, Gucci’s Frida Giannini, Douglas Hayward, Rifat Ozbek, Jenny Packham, Miuccia Prada, Oscar de la Renta, Anthony Sinclair, Philip Treacy, Emanuel Ungaro and Donatella Versace.

Lindy Hemming, costume designer said: In our exhibition, we intend, having explored the contents of the extensive EON archives, to thrill visitors with an insight into some of the design processes involved in the many different areas of making the Bond films.

Bronwyn Cosgrave, fashion historian added: Elements integral to the entire production process of the Bond films are showcased to illuminate their ground-breaking craftsmanship and design ingenuity.

Nadja Swarovski, Member of the Swarovski Executive Board, added: 2012 is set to be a thrilling year for the Bond franchise and for Swarovski! Over the years we have added glamour and sparkle to the costume and set designs of numerous Bond films, and because of this historical relationship it felt only natural that we would support the Bond legacy in this innovative new exhibition.

Designing 007 will transform the Barbican spaces, including The Curve and The Pit, to take the audience on a journey through 50 years of Bond style.

The exhibition runs from 6 July – 5 September 2012

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/licence-to-thrill-fifty-years-of-james-bond-style

Comments

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Brilliant!

I'll be all over this like a rash this summer... :)
  • edited February 2012 Posts: 2,598
    I just heard something about this on the radio where they will have on display Craig's water panties from CR. I like the Barbican. It's a cultural extravaganza. I've actually been getting regular emails from them for the past few years.
    I will be going! Just a quick walk away from my house!
    Not a quick walk from my house, but my summer vacation plans are settled as of now :-bd
    Had my uni graduation at the Barbican a few years ago. Looking forward to returning there for Bond this year. Sounds great.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Sounds great! I hope I'll be able to make it. I'm planning a trip to London this year, but I don't know when I'm going yet.

MI6 mentions in their article that "The exhibition will tour internationally over a three year period". Do we know more about that?
    Well i just booked my tickets and overnight stay for the Beaulieu motor museum! Hope to do this one later in the year!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 2,598
    gt007 wrote:
    Sounds great! I hope I'll be able to make it. I'm planning a trip to London this year, but I don't know when I'm going yet.

MI6 mentions in their article that "The exhibition will tour internationally over a three year period". Do we know more about that?

I don't think there's any more info. on it at this stage. I wonder what countries they'll go to. I wonder if it'll be better than the Fleming centenary exhibition back in 08. That was pretty cool.

Beaulieu in march, London in summer, going to be a expensive year me thinks ! :(
    largo2 wrote:
    Beaulieu in march, London in summer, going to be a expensive year me thinks ! :(

Yes... You are right "largo2"!!
    I was wondering if maybe there would be a Bond Music concert at the barbican at the same time too!?? Or hoping so anyhow!! :D
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    The new 'Designing 007' exhibition that celebrates the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film series will move to Toronto after it finishes is debut run at the Barbican in London later this year (6th July 2012 to 5th September 2012).

It will move in to the Bell Lightbox, the headquarters of the Toronto International Film Festival, to make its North America debut from October 26th 2012 to January 20th 2013.

“This in-depth examination of one of the most significant film and cultural icons of all time will offer new and familiar visitors an unprecedented look at the cutting-edge design and décor of the Bond legacy, charting its influence on contemporary society and on the action genre as a whole,” said TIFF artistic director Noah Cowan.

<a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/event_barbican_designing_007_announcement.php3?t=&s=&id=03098">Click here for further information on the exhibition</a>.
  • Booked my tickets for the end of July. Looking forward to it.
    Booked my tickets for the 7th july day after opening, before the olympic madness hits! :D
    Has anyone booked a ticket with the cocktail? I just want to know if it's a Vesper! :D
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    @007 and @BarbicanCentre posted this photos today from the Exhibition

http://jamesbondbrasil.com/designing007/

xxx
    I've not yet booked but will look to do so shortly. Great to see some brilliant events for Bond 50th anniversary. I've done Beaulieu already, looking forward to an audience with Sir Rog & now this. Expensive but worthwhile experiences!
    @007 and @BarbicanCentre posted this photos today from the Exhibition

xxx

Nice one Marketto! I am going on saturday! REALLY looking forward to this! The photo's have elevated it a little more now! Thank you for sharing!
    I've not yet booked but will look to do so shortly. Great to see some brilliant events for Bond 50th anniversary. I've done Beaulieu already, looking forward to an audience with Sir Rog & now this. Expensive but worthwhile experiences!

Going to the Evening with Roger Moore too! Which one you attending?
    I've added some new photos here...

xxx
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thanks for your hard work @marketto007.

xxx

WOW!!!! Thank you sooo much again Marketto! Definate photo with Bond and Aston AND the Golden Girl! :D Looks fantastic! Roll on saturday!!!! :-bd
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Some of the MI6 top brass were in attendance today... Report and pics to follow
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JamesPage wrote:
    Some of the MI6 top brass were in attendance today... Report and pics to follow

Thanks Mr. Wilson. :)

xxx
    I NEED TO BE THERE!!!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 246
    It's really good. Great in fact.
    Celebratory in the details whist eschewing the obvious. Aston DB5 notwithstanding.
    Courtesy of Bollinger, Heineken and several Vepers, I'm too Bonded to offer an entirely objective opinion so I'll just say that...

Tilly really shouldn't be wearing knickers. It just looks wrong somehow - faithful to the movie or not.

On the plus side, I am now the proud owner of an exhibition guide book in the form of a pre-EU passport in the name of... well you know the rest.
    Click on the profile pic if you don't believe me...

[edit}
    I'm compelled to add that amongst the many luminaries in attendance, I noticed Monty Norman. Immediately I thought of John Barry. Which leads me to...
    Another gripe - I spent a good hour or two going round and only heard the Bond theme twice. Even then it was incidental.
    EON - are you listening? should by playing on a loop as you walk though the gun barrel entrance at least.
    {/edit}

xxx
  • Going on the 28th July. Anticipation levels reaching critical levels....
    Going to that on Monday. Already placed my order for a Vodka Martini at the bar.
    This time tomorrow i will be there!!!!!!! :-bd
    I will be going tonight, I will report back!!!!