The Raid/The Raid 2: Berandal

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Will be very surprised it this isn't one of the best films of the year, I know one thing this will put any Hollywood action film to shame in the last decade just on pure adrenaline.

Can't wait till April.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I must admit though, the new captain America movie is looking very good action-wise and in general but if course, there's nothing Hollywood is putting out that comes close to the sort of action the Raid is going to smash our faces with.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm dying to watch the clip, but I'll just save it for the full film. I can't wait to see it.
    when are you seeing it? I'm catching it at the end of the month.
    doubleoego wrote:
    when are you seeing it? I'm catching it at the end of the month.

I've no idea. I don't even know of any theaters playing the film around here, sadly.
    BzgVbdh.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Wow! Great trailer. And taking a cue from Jackie Chan, you don't want to give any of these people an object - any object - to fight with, let alone guns! ;)
    I'm so excited for that tight-knit prison cell fight scene. I haven't been this pumped for a film in a long time. It's one of those rare few that you know will not disappoint you.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Hollywood, step. Your. Game. Up!!

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,892
    Two-and-a-half hours of high impact bloody violence- coming out tomorrow in Australia. Can't wait! =P~
    doubleoego wrote:
    Hollywood, step. Your. Game. Up!!

That top down shot of the fight in the car was pretty innovative. :)>-
    You'll be seeing this tomorrow??? Please, share your thoughts and review as soon as you can. I have another 5 days to wait.
    Nah, unfortunately I have an assignment to finish, so I better give it a miss this weekend. The other issue is that it's only playing at one cinema here, but it's way out of the city. I can't say I'm surprised about the lack of showings.
    I saw this last night and unfortunately I had one if the worst cinema experiences of my life.

The film started 10minutes late then as soon as the first words were spoken, the subtitles were cropped off so we could barely see the top parts of the lettering and after about 5mins of this despite a few audience members rushing immediately to inform staff of the foul up, the movie was stopped and we had to wait another 10mins to get the problem sorted. Once sorted, we watched the movie from the beginning this time with visible subtitles to which the whole audience cheered and then the movie played on. As we got to a pivotal point between a son and his father and the action set to begin with Rama's undercover agent showing up, the film freezes and again we're waiting ages for the problem to be sorted out. Once the film starts playing again, a new problem arises, there are NO subtitles altogether, which was only softened by the dialogue scene between the Jaoanese family not being too long and was immediately followed up by the insane car chase. However, once the chase cane to an end and the dialogue started again, we were reminded that there were no subtitles and the problem had been mentioned to staff before the action set piece. The subtitles were finally sorted and the film rewound to the scene with the Japanese talking about going to war and then from then on the film suffered no more interruptions but the damage had already been done really. The only reason why I and most if the audience stayed was because it was an exclusive showing, the film doesn't come out here for another 2 to 3 weeks and because it's the ****ing RAID2!

All that being said, this movie is INSANE! I don't know who said it but I think it was someone here that did but the Raid 2 makes the first one look like a pillow fight. As others have said, this film is longer and conveys itself in a much wider scope and so has time to breathe and create enough exposition in telling a compelling story of respect, honour, trust, loyalty and betrayal. Whereas, in the first movie everything is taking place in such an enclosed environment with essentially a single objective which brings the action in hard and fast, making the I acing if the film a lot quicker. With the Raid 2, it's a good thing the pacing is slower because with the relentless and mercilessly brutal action taking place one needs a few moments to comprehend and recover from the poetic barbarism being witnessed.

From amazingly gritty beat downs in grubby toilets to prison fights in the mud, villains taking out other villains in the most spectacular fashion using baseball bats to a pair of hammers, point blank range gunshots to the face, necks being slit open, punches being thrown at lightening speed to pummel people, strap on dildos, crashing through everything, honestly, being a gangster is more trouble than it's worth.

This film really has it all, suspense, gore, beautiful bone crunching action and plenty of cheer out loud moments. The last fight pretty much got a standing ovation. The RAID 2 is an excellent action film and it may well be the very best action movie ever. I need to see it again without interruptions to really underpin that claim but if one is a fan of action, a good story, brutal fight scenes and isn't afraid of extreme gory violence then this is the movie to watch that should be at the top of one's list. This is another perfect example of how to do a brilliant sequel to an excellent first instalment. Rama has cemented himself as a unique and genuine action icon imo. A truly phenomenal character bit just because if his physical capabilities but because he's a character that's unsuspecting, humble and what's nothing but to bring a real justice to his city and to protect his family but he knows what he has to do in order to make the slightest bit of difference and in his quest to do so, Rama doesn't play about, pain and death is the order of the day and it's being hand delivered and served swiftly and beautifully.

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,892
    @doubleoego I'm glad you enjoyed the film despite all the technical problems. I've experienced similar problems on two different occasions, and needless to say, it takes you out of the zone. I hope this Raid series is something that will inspire Bond's fight scenes, because like many members here, I feel the last film was a step down.

Slightly on topic, did anyone see Keanu Reeves' Man of Tai Chi? It features a scene with The Raid star Iko Uwais, but he's not really around long enough to impress us with his talents.
    I think with films like the new captain America movie and the Raid 2, the latter being overwhelmingly hailed as the greatest action film of all time, I'd like to think it will get the attention of EoN. That being said, I think what the aforementioned films do is, help present fighting styles that can suit Bond, (Craig) to make him a more interesting and visceral fighter. We got some of those qualities in CR and QoS but SF was by and large a massive disappointment in the area of hand to hand combat. Bond is a field agent, he's supposed to be MI6' best, let's see it! Bond shouldn't be doing flying kicks and acrobatics but coupled with the brawling style if fighting, he should incorporate quick hand defence and offensive attacks, very similar to Bourne but if course with the camera pulled back, not edited to death and with the camera mostly in place.
    Well, I want to see it and yet ... I cannot stomach explicit extreme violence. So I'm going to have a very long wait and rent it, which will be probably end of this year or early next year.
    What did you think of the first film?
    Moi? I have not seen it. I will try to rent it but need some assistance from my Japanese friend to figure out the title here, etc. I love action and can take some brutality. I have only heard good things about it, so yeah - I need to rent that one soon!

Signing off for the night now. Sweet dreams, everybody.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,892
    The first film featured what I'd probably call the best fights I've ever seen, and the kind of fights I've long wanted to see on film. That and Merantau absolutely blew me away.
    @4EverBonded, please if you can, try and watch the 1st one first so you can get a feel for the sort of action and brutality these films have and if it sits well with you then you should have no problem with the 2nd movie. Also, the 2nd movie pics up right from where the first left off so you'd be doing yourself a massive favour by watching the first film initially.

@Qbranch, I haven't seen Meranyau yet, I've inly seen that amazing lift fight from the movie but I'll get around to seeing it in the next couple of days. I just love this sort of kinetic and visceral combat, it's so unforgiving yet poetic. I can't wait for the 3rd film in the Raid series.
    I've wanted to see 'Merantau,' as well. Happy to see that the critics reviews are living up to the audience reviews. I don't know which theater nearby is getting it when, but I most certainly will be seeing it the first chance I get.
    Seeing this next weekend when it opens in the UK. Was one of those fortunate to catch The Raid at the cinema and can't wait to see this.

I think Hollywood needs to up it's game in the light of this, sequels need to be original and develop the story not be pale retreads, this is going to show The Die Hard series how it should have been done.
    The Raid 2 (2014)

I was blown away with The Raid 2, no it's not tight and action wall to wall like it's predecessor. It's a bit convoluted and a tad vague on characters introduced but I feel this might be intentional on director Gareth Evans part. He says he wants the 3rd and final film of the trilogy to start 3 hours before this ends and I feel he might be filling in some of the blanks with this (well at least I hope).

I personally think it's the equal of the first film and applaud Evans ambition. Rather than peddle out a pale re-run like say Die Hard 2, Evans has subscribed to the Christopher Nolan play book of how to make sequels and taken his first film somewhere entirely different with it's follow up. It's more epic, more explosive and yes nearly an hour longer than the first film but for me the running time is not a problem and it flew by. As long as you don't go in expecting more of the same you'll have a blast, as with the first film a strong stomach is recommended as this is incredibly violent and gory somewhat more so than the original.

Iko Uwais as our hero Rama is developing into a real star and shows a level of charisma not seen so much in The Raid, he also again delivers with some of the most incredible fight sequences ever put on screen, a muddy prison brawl, a car chase with a punch up going on at the same time and one of the goriest and visceral fight sequences in a kitchen I've ever seen. Yes at it's length it's spaced out with dialogue sequences and maybe Evans isn't as good a storyteller as an action director but this puts to shame all Hollywood action thrillers of the last 20 years, it's the real deal and worth your attention.

5/5
    The closest theater to me that's playing 'The Raid 2' is 90 minutes away. Another busy week will keep me from seeing this, unfortunately. :(
    I saw the first Raid movie yesterday and wasn't impressed at all. It is an incredibly tedious and unimaginative action film. I believe even the worst Bond movie has more to offer than this film.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I'll be seeing The Raid 2 tomorrow night :D Can't wait. It's shaping up to be even better than the first one.
    I saw the first Raid movie yesterday and wasn't impressed at all. It is an incredibly tedious and unimaginative action film. I believe even the worst Bond movie has more to offer than this film.

What? It's anything but tedious. Unimaginative? I guess it's a very bare bones film but that's part of it's appeal.

If it's not your sort of film then fair enough, it's pure action and that's not for everyone but if you honestly prefer the likes of DAD, TMWTGG, MR, AVTAK, DAF, QOS, etc to The Raid then I think you might need some professional help ;)
    If it's not your sort of film then fair enough, it's pure action and that's not for everyone

I like pure action as long as the action scenes are interesting. The action scenes of 'The Raid' are very repetitive and unimpressive and flat. The 'Mad Dog' character saved the movie from a total disaster. He should have been the main protagonist instead of the cliche pretty boy.
    I completely disagree with ALL of that but in any event, you should try and watch the second one. It's a very different movie and incredibly inventive. It's essentially a hardcore, blood-soaked gangster movie with insane action.
    I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you think The Raid is worse than DAD or DAF, I don't what to say, I personally think The Raid is equal to Die Hard and the 2 is so much better than Die Hard 2 it's silly.

If only Hollyoood had so much imagination for sequels, outside TDK I can't think of any film that ups the game for it's second go round as The Raid 2