The Doctor is cooler than Bond, but Matt Smith would love to play a villain

JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
edited March 2011 in News Posts: 1,380
Between series of "Dr Who", actor Matt Smith say says, he can do whatever he likes, although he doubts that he would have the time to take on a play - reports <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8388472/Doctor-Whos-Matt-Smith-on-kissing-boys-and-not-being-handsome-enough-to-play-Bond.html"; target="_blank">The Telegraph</a>. Could he see himself trying to bag any other iconic British roles in the future, James Bond perhaps? ‘Oh God, I don’t think I’m handsome enough, I think I’m more of a Bond villain. It’d be nice to be the actor that played them both though, wouldn’t it?

‘The Doctor’s cooler, though,’ he adds. 'He can time travel, he’s cleverer… Bond’s all right, but he’s not the Doc.’

So how long does he intend to play the Doctor for? ‘Well, I’m going back this year. I guess get another one out the way, see what everyone thinks of that. I love doing it, I don’t want to give it up anytime soon, put it that way.’

Comments

Oh god, that would be amazing!!!! They should Bond and Doctor Who comic relief :)
    edited March 2011 Posts: 42
    And David Tennant as well :D
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I could see Matt Smith in a Q type of role.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @OO7 Please use the EDIT button instead of a double post. Thank you. :)

Right now I can only see Smith as a henchman. He looks a little young for anything else to be fairly honest. @saunders Don't see him as THE Q, but perhaps as A Q.
    I thought he would be suitable because his Doctor persona is very reminiscent of one of those clever 'Q' type chaps explaining the money tracing to M in QOS.
    yea it would be good to see David Tennant in Bond movie.However i also like Dr.Who but Bond is Bond and nobody does it better than Bond
    It's almost a shame they rebooted and didn't carry on the DAD route, we could of had Bond with the Daleks. ;-)
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 1,310
    I love Matt Smith as the Doctor, but I think Tennant is better by just a hair! And I think David Tennant as Q would be a great choice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Quoting saunders: It's almost a shame they rebooted and didn't carry on the DAD route, we could of
    had Bond with the Daleks.
    Bond gets shot, and regenerates into The 6th Bond. ;-)

I like Smith, but if we're talking Doctors for Q... *cough* McCoy *cough*.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2011 Posts: 15,686
    I'd kill to see Roger Moore take the Doctor role when Matt Smith will bow out. The Doctor may be cooler than James Bond, but he is still no match against Roger Moore's cool factor.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Smith in interviews has said nothing but positive things about the Bond films, always seems like he'd love a role in one of them and also seems to have a good grasp of the character of Bond himself.

I'd like for him to appear without a doubt though I think Bond may just have the edge at being 'cooler' than the Doctor.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I love Matt Smith. He's a fine actor and a terrific Doctor. Is he right for Bond? Who knows. Maybe in a chilling smaller villain or henchman role.

Who perhaps may be a good pick for Bond from the (ahem) 'Who-verse', though, is Toby Jones. Another fine actor whom Hollywood has begun to notice in recent years. It occurred to me the other day, given his physical appearance (in addition to his unquestioned quality as an actor) he'd make for a delightful casting twist if given the role of Head of Quantum in a future film; so long as it didn't get out, it could knock the public for six - in the right way. Especially as he could act the pants out of it...

i havent heard about this actor.but when you say that he might act in Bond movie you mean to act Q or other role not Bond right?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I'm not overly familiar with him but from those pictures he certainly has a very distinguishable face which would make for a decent villain, which is something the Franchise has used many times before.
  • That guy might be able to do a fair villain, i need to see him act but he has the face for a villain (sorry to him)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    How about our long-wanted head of Quantum? He looks like he can play a pretty sick, dangerous power figure.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    He's also five-foot-nothing, which I may've failed to mentioned or assumed peeps would know. That, perhaps more than anything else about him getting cast as Quantum's chief, would make for a nice twist - until the audience realises just how cruel, evil and powerful a little b****er the character is and how good a performer the actor is...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Trouble is Georgio the audience might think he's the mini me virsion of the villain. They will be waiting for the full size one to turn up :-bd

I think that Matt Smith could play a kind of 'Boris' character,but not much more than that.
    There's a deleted scene in In Bruges where Matt Smith, who plays a flashback version of Ralph Fiennes' character in a deleted scene, cleaves a man's head from his shoulders in a police station.

Just throwing that out there.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 1,856
    Okay 4 things
    1. He would do a good Q. He talks with his hands etc.(But Dr. #9 could also pull it off)
    2. Yes the Quofeld (Get it Quantum,Blofeld) would be good for him. But theres just this thing making me not jump up in my seat at the idea. But he is a physical actor so he wont be a YOLT Blofelt.
    Quoting barryt007: I think that Matt Smith could play a kind of 'Boris' character,but not much more than that.
    3. No he could but THAT character type but there sould NEVER be another boris and he is to good of actor to get that part.
    Quoting 007: Oh god, that would be amazing!!!! They should Bond and Doctor Who comic relief
    4. Give me a slice of that action

ps. if you haven't seen him the 2, 4 minute Dr. Who comic relief is on you tube
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:
    I'd kill to see Roger Moore take the Doctor role when Matt Smith will bow out. The Doctor may be cooler than James Bond, but he is still no match against Roger Moore's cool factor.

"Quickly run,(CRACK) hang on my backs gone"