Jason Bourne (2002 - present)

Comments

• edited August 2012 Posts: 4,619
    Bourne Legacy Opening Weekend: $46M-$48M
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/first-box-office-bourne-legacy-46m-48m-the-campaign-24m-26m-hope-springs-12m-14m/

Previous opening weekends for comparison:

The Bourne Identity: $27M
    The Bourne Supremacy: $52M
    The Bourne Ultimatum: $69M
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,107
    I still remember how Damon was just another pretty boy, not suitable for the action roles.

How wrong were "they".
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Yikes, I honestly wished my initial feeling about this film was wrong but apparently it wasn't. I loved Identity, liked Supremacy a lot, then was a little let down but Ultimatum, now I haven't even decided if I'm going to watch the 4th installment when it's released here (only in September). Sad...
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    If this turns out bad, then I want a 5th film because I want the series to go out on a high note like it could've done with Ultimatum. But only if they can get Damon back. If not, then just let Bourne rest in peace.
    SharkBait wrote:
    I still remember how Damon was just another pretty boy, not suitable for the action roles.

How wrong were "they".

Damon blew me (and I think lots of others), away in Identity, I really didn't think he had it in him. He proved himself as a badass with the Bourne films I think.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    If this turns out bad, then I want a 5th film because I want the series to go out on a high note like it could've done with Ultimatum. But only if they can get Damon back. If not, then just let Bourne rest in peace.

Exactly, I feel the same way.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2012 Posts: 4,438
    Good title's for a 6th movie with the return of Matt Damon:

The Bourne Revival
    The Bourne Resuscitation

It means the rise/return of a person. In the last option it be a person who almoost be death and return from a kind of coma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitation Something what happend before with Bourne kind of.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    M_Balje wrote:
    Good title's for a 6th movie with the return of Matt Damon:

The Bourne Revival
    The Bourne Resuscitation

It means the rise/return of a person. In the last option it be a person who almoost be death and return from a kind of coma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitation Something what happend before with Bourne kind of.

I have one: THE BOURNE REDUNDANCY!!! >:P
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well only 2 stars in Empire sounds pretty terminal and I worry the box office drop off from opening weekend will be catastrophic with more and more negative reviews coming in.
    If it doesnt break $200m will that be it? Then again get Damon back and that alone will put another $100m on the box office. I just dont see what Renner brings to the table in leading man terms.

I guess the question that has to be asked here is how did they f**k it up? The cast is awesome (previous comments about Renner notwithstanding) and all they have to do is have a few knockout action sequences and stitch it together with a load of dodgy black ops government departments who are hunting him down. Its really not that hard.

As others have said Ultimatum is basically a remake of Supremacy and to be fair all three basically consist of a load of people hunting Bourne who takes them out with a few good rucks and one spectacular car chase per film. Even Bond at its laziest has never rehashed the same plot three times back to back. TSWLM and MR are probably the worst 2 in a row but imagine YOLT, TSWLM and MR back to back? Would you really see people buying tickets for a 4th with a charisma free actor as Bond to boot?

It would be a shame if this is the end of the franchise though so lets hope it makes enough to justify another one but only if the studio do a Sean for DAF and offer Damon whatever he wants (although for the record that does not mean I'm saying Renner is George. Hes not even close to the legendary Lazzers).

Greengrass I'm really not arsed about as hes very overrated and I'm sick of his film student gimmicky editing which he thinks is so visceral and thrilling but is actually just annoying and undermines the quality work the stunt team are probably doing if only we could see it. The trouble is though I think Damon has said he wont do another one without him so it looks like we're stuck with him.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well Empire put The Godfather as the greatest film of all time, so they are the end all be all opinion in this world.
    i will still give it a chance just because i enjoyed the first three so much.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    The cast is awesome (previous comments about Renner notwithstanding) and all they have to do is have a few knockout action sequences and stitch it together with a load of dodgy black ops government departments who are hunting him down. Its really not that hard.

The character's motivations and trials is where this film has gone wrong according to many. The chases and (lack of) action is all said to be rather good - by Bourne standards.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I would have thought that being economical with the action would have been a good thing. Were the exposition and dramatic scenes that bad and uninteresting?
    Much of the talking, which is said to be the first hour, is justifying this film's existence. The relationship between the leads is said to be very good but clearly the film doesn't add up as a whole. There was no complex character like Jason Bourne to care about - though did anyone care about him? I didn't, to be frank.

On Rotton Tomatoes, the film is settling at 52%-ish it seems. That's an even split between those who liked it and those who didn't.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I think saying that the series should end and that they didn't need to make more is a bit unfair. People probably said that once Connery left Bond. I think the series can carry on, it just needs a better film. And having Damon back would help.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    There was no complex character like Jason Bourne to care about - though did anyone care about him?

I did.
    It would be a shame if this is the end of the franchise though so lets hope it makes enough to justify another one but only if the studio do a Sean for DAF and offer Damon whatever he wants

That's basically how I feel about it, trouble is what Damon wants is Greengrass to return.
    It's woth noting Damon has slated Gilroy in the past and blamed him for any script problems and doesn't get along with him. Gilroy has no problem with Damon though.
    I think saying that the series should end and that they didn't need to make more is a bit unfair. People probably said that once Connery left Bond.

People wanted more Bond and everyone knew Connery would leave one day. Here, it's an extension of what was thought to be a trilogy, until less than a year later Universal wanted another film. Plus, it's not even with Bourne anyway, it's Cross. Not exactly the same and I can understand why people feel the way they do.

I'm still going to watch this though, it can't all that bad, I hope.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Not just that but the premise with Bourne was the underlying current of the amnesia factor that kind of drove things and kept things interesting. On top of that Bourne found his resolve and thus completed his story. There's little to nothing else to add and if there is, it'll just feel forced and tacked on which I supoise is one of the unique features of the Bond movies, by and large all the movies are complete separate entities that aren't bogged down or confined by a specific arc that is glued together by multiple movies.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    I think saying that the series should end and that they didn't need to make more is a bit unfair. People probably said that once Connery left Bond.

People wanted more Bond and everyone knew Connery would leave one day. Here, it's an extension of what was thought to be a trilogy, until less than a year later Universal wanted another film. Plus, it's not even with Bourne anyway, it's Cross. Not exactly the same and I can understand why people feel the way they do.

Did they, at the time though???

I wanted a 4th film so in a way I'm happy, although I was hoping Damon would return. I'd actually prefer it if they got Renner playing Bourne instead of a new character though.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Not just that but the premise with Bourne was the underlying current of the amnesia factor that kind of drove things and kept things interesting. On top of that Bourne found his resolve and thus completed his story. There's little to nothing else to add and if there is, it'll just feel forced and tacked on which I supoise is one of the unique features of the Bond movies, by and large all the movies are complete separate entities that aren't bogged down or confined by a specific arc that is glued together by multiple movies.

It worked in the books. Ok, the last 2 films have been fairly different to them but there were still things they could do with the character.
    Renner as Bourne may have been better. I'll have to watch this film and find out.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Ask the originals in their review thread. It appears it was that way whether Connery left after 5 or 10 films.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I wanted a 4th film so in a way I'm happy, although I was hoping Damon would return. I'd actually prefer it if they got Renner playing Bourne instead of a new character though.
    doubleoego wrote:

It worked in the books. Ok, the last 2 films have been fairly different to them but there were still things they could do with the character.

No, not much did. The only thing carried over in the books to the films in the amnesia, and that is literally it with the exception of Marie. The books after Identity are over complex mindscrews that you forget a week after you read them, like throwaways. Supremacy has the now clichéd wife kidnapping, and Ultimatum the final face off between arch enemies. NEVER DONE THOSE BEFORE. If they want to update it and make it work, they need to make Carlos the Jackal appear, and do what the books couldn't: make him a great force against Bourne until the end.

• Mark Kermodes thoughts on it. He basically says what I thought it would be, it's good enough, but no where near as good as the other 3 films.

Also in this, we get some good new footage. The jumping down alleyway stunt isn't too stupid after all and the fight scene looked good.
    If I ever direct a film, I don't ever want to be told by producers to copy the look of another.

I feel like this one was pushed out, and the thus for the look and style was copied and therefore less genuine than the previous three.

Give the films a new-ish look with the new crew and new story, and people may have liked it better. I'm not saying drastically change it, but play with the settings. Let the director DIRECT! Put his imprint.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    If I ever direct a film, I don't ever want to be told by producers to copy the look of another.

I feel like this one was pushed out, and the thus for the look and style was copied and therefore less genuine than the previous three.

Give the films a new-ish look with the new crew and new story, and people may have liked it better. I'm not saying drastically change it, but play with the settings. Let the director DIRECT! Put his imprint.

That's what happened with Spiderman 3. Raimi had his own plans but Paramount made him make the film THEY wanted. I swear if I ever meet the person that suggested that damn emo dancing in the street and the dance number, I will be doing some jail time.
    I found Jeremy Renner leather jacket in hollywood Bourne Legacy movie.
    http://www.hollywoodleatherjackets.com/products/Bourne-Legacy-Jeremy-Renner-Leather-Jacket.html
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,459
    It's back to 55% on RT. Oddly enough, Renner was strong in the movie, and I loved his character. It was just the bad CGI, the terrible camerawork, the underwhelming fight scenes, and the abrupt ending that lost my interest in the film.

@Wilson, or anyone else, could you send me that link of the leather jacket? That's a great price for such a fine looking jacket, but I'm on a public computer right now, and if I e-mail the link to myself, it will get buried under all of my other e-mails. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's back to 55% on RT. Oddly enough, Renner was strong in the movie, and I loved his character. It was just the bad CGI, the terrible camerawork, the underwhelming fight scenes, and the abrupt ending that lost my interest in the film.

@Wilson, or anyone else, could you send me that link of the leather jacket? That's a great price for such a fine looking jacket, but I'm on a public computer right now, and if I e-mail the link to myself, it will get buried under all of my other e-mails. It would be greatly appreciated.

I just saw it last night I never saw the other 3 but loved Renner to which case if new line actually does Macgyver: The Movie Renner HAS TO PLAY MACGYVER end of discussion!

Risico007 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I just saw it last night I never saw the other 3 but loved Renner to which case if new line actually does Macgyver: The Movie Renner HAS TO PLAY MACGYVER end of discussion!
    You probably really enjoyed it then. ;) See the others, that's how they are done properly.
    I agree with @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7; the films are yet another trilogy I need to own on blu-ray. I picked up 'The Bourne Identity' on blu-ray recently, I plan on getting the other two as soon as my wallet allows.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I agree with @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7; the films are yet another trilogy I need to own on blu-ray. I picked up 'The Bourne Identity' on blu-ray recently, I plan on getting the other two as soon as my wallet allows.

I have a trilogy collection, and they are great. I watched a different one every day for weeks when I got them. Now I know them front to back.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, lucky you. I might wait until I purchase the other two, and then take a weekend to have a trilogy run through. I can't wait for TDKR to release on blu-ray so I can do the same with Nolan's Batman trilogy.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, lucky you. I might wait until I purchase the other two, and then take a weekend to have a trilogy run through. I can't wait for TDKR to release on blu-ray so I can do the same with Nolan's Batman trilogy.
    I hear that, and the Blu-ray should release sometime during Christmastime which means a long vacation from school for us to enjoy the films in!
    :-bd